Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
I hope the motherboard standoffs in the case are sturdy.... My 3950x with custom VRM blocks.
Going in my case the second it arives. The motherboard weighs an wasy 25 pounds without water in it...
Asrock x570 custom water blocks
Ohhh, is that the Heatkiller SB or NB block? Which one did you install on the VRMs? Did you test this out? There was no information that I could find anywhere on the restrictiveness and effectiveness of these SB/NB/VRM blocks.

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
Ohhh, is that the Heatkiller SB or NB block? Which one did you install on the VRMs? Did you test this out? There was no information that I could find anywhere on the restrictiveness and effectiveness of these SB/NB/VRM blocks.
-Yes, its the Watercool NB/SB v3 block. Its going to be very low restriction. Small 2mm dimples are drilled into the backside of the coldplate instead of fins to maximize surface area.
-The main section of the VRM block i used is a really old EKWB vrm heatsink for a X79 Motherboard. Then i took a X99 VRM heatsink, chopped it up and attached it to the bottom of the EK coldplate. Both sides of the two separate cold plates that are touching were decked flat and have an ultra thin layer of thermal grizzly conductonaut inbetween them. I havent tested the block in my loop yet, but it conducts heat very well when heated with a lighter. I'm finishing up the second custom VRM block for the top VRM section then I'm going to test it. I can update with results.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
-Yes, its the Watercool NB/SB v3 block. Its going to be very low restriction. Small 2mm dimples are drilled into the backside of the coldplate instead of fins to maximize surface area.
-The main section of the VRM block i used is a really old EKWB vrm heatsink for a X79 Motherboard. Then i took a X99 VRM heatsink, chopped it up and attached it to the bottom of the EK coldplate. Both sides of the two separate cold plates that are touching were decked flat and have an ultra thin layer of thermal grizzly conductonaut inbetween them. I havent tested the block in my loop yet, but it conducts heat very well when heated with a lighter. I'm finishing up the second custom VRM block for the top VRM section then I'm going to test it. I can update with results.
That's really cool! I was already resigned to getting a B450 board, but seeing this has inspired me to reconsider... I gave up because I didn't know what to do with the VRMs if I take of the heatsink, but looks like there's a way to solve that. Could you please share how long the VRM bank on that ASrock board is? Thanks!

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I hope the motherboard standoffs in the case are sturdy.... My 3950x with custom VRM blocks.
Going in my case the second it arives. The motherboard weighs an wasy 25 pounds without water in it...

I call bullshit on that one, 25 pounds is roughly 12kg. I have a cast iron dumbell here (density around 7.8g/cubic cm) and it's about the size of an ITX motherboard itself. Even if that tiny block is made out of tungsten, there's no way that board weighs 12kg.

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
That's really cool! I was already resigned to getting a B450 board, but seeing this has inspired me to reconsider... I gave up because I didn't know what to do with the VRMs if I take of the heatsink, but looks like there's a way to solve that. Could you please share how long the VRM bank on that ASrock board is? Thanks!
Sure, when i take the blocks down tomorrow ill take some measurements with vernier calipers.
I essentially bought up all of the old, left over water blocks that were on sale($10 or less most of the time) on a few different websites for the cannibalized bits. Chopped the solid chunks of the old blocks into copper blanks to add onto whatever random VRM fitting i could find to fit in the space i need. Time consuming to get everything flat and square with nice tapped m3 holes. Anywhere two separate pieces of copper needed to be joined, i used a very fine layer of conductonaut, as it is a more efficient thermal conductor than most solder i know of.

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
I call bullshit on that one, 25 pounds is roughly 12kg. I have a cast iron dumbell here (density around 7.8g/cubic cm) and it's about the size of an ITX motherboard itself. Even if that tiny block is made out of tungsten, there's no way that board weighs 12kg.
Wow thanks for that info!... it was an exaggeration....
-14.2 lbs with all 4 blocks mounted and a CPU installed.
-16.1 lbs with an additional 2 sticks of Trident Z Royal & 8 fittings.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
@diceboii13 hows the build going? when will we get a chance to see a full working example.
We have find some problems with the nuts in the sheetmetal, so we need to replace them. Dont know yet, the manufacturer waiting for the replacements, so I waiting for them. Everything else looks fine, packages arriving. I will tell asap if something interesting arrives :p
We use brass standoffs, and it seems strong. Monoblocks are really nice, its a shame that there is no one for am4 itx boards.

AllXFrag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2020
Hallo.... It's me... @diceboii13

I was just sat at work wondering when the next update will be...

Cuz I'm bored... You see...

And nothing seems to make me happy but building a new PC... ?

Reactions: bricemx

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Hallo.... It's me... @diceboii13

I was just sat at work wondering when the next update will be...

Cuz I'm bored... You see...

And nothing seems to make me happy but building a new PC... ?
We are in the same shoes. I just cant wait to get all the parts of the cases, and start assemble them. Today I got 2 more packages, the sleeving for the powerbutton cables and all the risers finally from the DHL. Its boring times right now.. I just waiting like you ?

AllXFrag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2020
We are in the same shoes. I just cant wait to get all the parts of the cases, and start assemble them. Today I got 2 more packages, the sleeving for the powerbutton cables and all the risers finally from the DHL. Its boring times right now.. I just waiting like you ?
Thanks for that little update, guess we're looking at mid May for the start of shipping in this case. :D

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Couple more questions:

How many ports does the distro have? I’m thinking that I could attach a temperature sensor to the bottom port.

Additionally, where would be the best place to mount an Aquacomputer Quadro?

Whippler

Trash Compacter
Nov 11, 2019
Couple more questions:

How many ports does the distro have? I’m thinking that I could attach a temperature sensor to the bottom port.

I'm going to jam Aquaero 6 LT in there somewhere. As for temp sensors, i'm just going to tape a sensor with some thermal compound on it on the rads, should be good enough. After i saw how a inline temp sensor fitting was built together, i think taping a sensor on a rad with some compound to help with accurate reading, is propably better.

edit: might be a too hard of a challenge to fit the 6 LT somewhere... seems like i could replace it with the quadro. hmm

Last edited:

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Couple more questions:

It has 1 fillport, 2 inlet, and 1 outlet. If the quadro is the fan controller, you can easily tape it in the rear side of the distro.

iwe

Caliper Novice
Feb 11, 2020
Since the distro plate is mounted on the case, is there any thing to prevent the distro plate to vibrate against the case from the pump ?

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Since the distro plate is mounted on the case, is there any thing to prevent the distro plate to vibrate against the case from the pump ?
I have not found any type of vibration in my tests on prototype 1,
I doubt that there can be any on the definitive.

Reactions: diceboii13

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
I have not found any type of vibration in my tests on prototype 1,
I doubt that there can be any on the definitive.
Can you record the sound around the chassis with the pump on? There is definitely vibration, the main question is how is it dissipated, it is a very important question as many people who bought the case are approaching it from a silent build perspective.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Can you record the sound around the chassis with the pump on? There is definitely vibration, the main question is how is it dissipated, it is a very important question as many people who bought the case are approaching it from a silent build perspective.
Since the distro fits really tight to the case and the case has rubber legs, it doesnt have any sound. The vibration almost not exists.

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Much depends on the surface on which you will rest it, for example,
I have a wooden top covered with a brocade cloth which, in addition to allowing me to freely use the mouse on the entire surface of the desk, attenuates any vibrations and various noises ...
...the best test for you will surely be what you will do at home with all your variables,
I can tell you with that: with pump at 5 (maximum) > zero vibrations and zero noises, both with and without feet
(nb: the feet were 4 feet stolen from an old vhs reader)

Reactions: kosta