Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

Magz

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
I'm running into a strange issue with my d5 ()
I set up the whole loop and the pump wouldn't spin so I took everything apart and now just have a contained loop on the distro plate.
I cleaned the pump out (lots of black gunk...makes me think possible return?) and it would start and stop. If I loosened the d5 bracket it would start and stop and if I kept tightening it the pump wouldn't spin at all.
Also having issues bleeding air out of the pump area of the distro.

And advice would be appreciated.

Not sure I can add much about the pump not spinning. When I was leak testing the loop, I realised that I hadn't tightened the D5 bracket properly as air was escaping and I could hear it. After that I tightened it a fair bit and the pump seems to be spinning just fine. I am using the Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 - Single Edition V.3. Maybe don't tighten it as much if there are no leaks. I also know from previous research that different D5 pumps are fussy as the impeller might have minor variations causing problems with custom distros.

The air in the pump area was easy to remove by turning it off and moving the case around and then adding more fluid to the distro. Took a few attempts but got it sorted fairly quickly.

TehMoonRulz

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2020
If I can't repair the rivets or figure out my pump situation I may let mine go as well. Serial 001 Double expand white d5
If I get these rivets () what size rivet tool do I get with regards to tip size. I suppose I could get a kit like this () but it has way more than I need

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
You have glass panels on both sides? What's the direction of your airflow?
I only run one glass panel on the GPU side of the case. I do that because the GPU side of my case has all of the nosiest components. Pump, 3 Delta 40mm fans (although they're actually very quiet, more so than the Noctua 40mm's) and a 80mm Noise Blocker fan. It also helps direct airflow.
Air flow is intake from the bottom 2x140mm fans in a push config. There's also a 120mm thin noctua & 80mm NB on the other side of the radiator so its more like a push/pull config. I have a 3 slot GPU case and the 3 Delta fans exhaust out the back of the GPU sot. On the CPU side of the case The PSU acts as an exhaust out of the top but that side is also not running a glass side panel. It very quiet since there's no moving parts on that side of the case beside my PSU fan. Also, I keep it off so my ram and PSU have fresh air to breath.

TL;DR- Glass on GPU side, No glass/ Open air on CPU side of case. Airflow is --- 2x280mm Intake from bottom->through 280mm rad-> 3x40mm Delta's exhaust out the rear GPU slot through a 3x40 Alphacool rad/PSU exhaust on CPU side, up through the top of the case.
I'm running into a strange issue with my d5 ()
I set up the whole loop and the pump wouldn't spin so I took everything apart and now just have a contained loop on the distro plate.
I cleaned the pump out (lots of black gunk...makes me think possible return?) and it would start and stop. If I loosened the d5 bracket it would start and stop and if I kept tightening it the pump wouldn't spin at all.
Also having issues bleeding air out of the pump area of the distro.

And advice would be appreciated.
Just to be clear, do you have that extra plexi standoff piece installed correctly for the D5 pump? I'm running a DDC so i cant speak directly to how that piece works, but i believe the D5 is has a taller impeller? It may not be spaced correctly, going of what you're reporting with the impeller partially spinning. Maybe someone using a D5 could chime in....

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
I only run one glass panel on the GPU side of the case. I do that because the GPU side of my case has all of the nosiest components. Pump, 3 Delta 40mm fans (although they're actually very quiet, more so than the Noctua 40mm's) and a 80mm Noise Blocker fan. It also helps direct airflow.
Air flow is intake from the bottom 2x140mm fans in a push config. There's also a 120mm thin noctua & 80mm NB on the other side of the radiator so its more like a push/pull config. I have a 3 slot GPU case and the 3 Delta fans exhaust out the back of the GPU sot. On the CPU side of the case The PSU acts as an exhaust out of the top but that side is also not running a glass side panel. It very quiet since there's no moving parts on that side of the case beside my PSU fan. Also, I keep it off so my ram and PSU have fresh air to breath.

TL;DR- Glass on GPU side, No glass/ Open air on CPU side of case. Airflow is --- 2x280mm Intake from bottom->through 280mm rad-> 3x40mm Delta's exhaust out the rear GPU slot through a 3x40 Alphacool rad/PSU exhaust on CPU side, up through the top of the case.

Just to be clear, do you have that extra plexi standoff piece installed correctly for the D5 pump? I'm running a DDC so i cant speak directly to how that piece works, but i believe the D5 is has a taller impeller? It may not be spaced correctly, going of what you're reporting with the impeller partially spinning. Maybe someone using a D5 could chime in....
Thanks for the details! I'm doing the same - leaving one side completely open right now. Waiting for a white magnetic dust filter to arrive and planning to use that as the sidepanel going forward. Will post pics once it arrives.

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for the details! I'm doing the same - leaving one side completely open right now. Waiting for a white magnetic dust filter to arrive and planning to use that as the sidepanel going forward. Will post pics once it arrives.
I tried some type of DIY filter on my bottom fans since they're the only real intake that will be taking in dust. I didn't have enough clearance with the fan at low speeds, because the blades sag, it would rub on the screen. Here's a picture of my failed experiment. Plus mod to my desk to help fans run as slow as possible. If anyone figures out a bottom filter solution, I'd be interested to see what else is out there.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Two options come to mind, both kind of dumb but perhaps workable :)
  1. Switch the position of radiator and fans so that the radiator is facing out. That way even if the filter is rubbing directly against the rad, it won't do no harm
  2. Stick the filter on the outside! If you just wrap it in magnetic tape and cut it to size, it will be invisible

TehMoonRulz

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2020
I want to say yes. I just put the same pump on a radikultcustom distro for use with the o11dmini and it spun right up without issue

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

I haven't powered mine up yet, but the spacers aren't for the pump mount, they are for the distro plate itself to push it away from the case if you need more space for your D5 pump. Mine is an EK Revo D5 PWM model, and without the spacers it just barely fits:

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
How many of you are still waiting for replacement parts? I haven't got a response from diceboii for over a month now and it starts to feel like that he is gone and im stuck with a broken case.