Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I am interested in s401 and any s400 laying around if available. Amazing job btw.
Thank you! I don't have any 400 units I can sell unfortunately. I'm working on finalizing the design for the 401 and my goal is to have something ready for ordering around April/May. I still don't have production cost estimates as the design is still changing slightly, but as soon as I get those numbers I will be able to make my decision regarding a kickstarter or direct sales. All ordering information will most likely be revealed at the same time I start the new thread that will contain photographs and specifications. The prototypes that I have made and are production quality I will be reaching out to entities in hopes to get some reviews posted (hopefully those will be in the hands of people for review around the same time I start kickstarter/direct sales).

As an aside, the wind caused a tree to fall on my house and so I'm dealing with that as well now so I might be less available than I'd like in the next few days. Good news is everyone is fine and most damage was on the garage. More updates to come when I get the next prototype (modifications to existing 401 prototype are complete and will be submitted to the fab shop before Monday).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok, while I've been waiting on the next prototype I've been working on the 700 series. Below are some renders I made as I wrapped up for the evening. I'm not sure just yet if I'm going to make the 700 for sale as it's going to be very expensive to produce. It's basically two 401 cases. As it stands now, it's approximately 21.5L in volume but there is fat that could be cut. The problem is my desire to support a watercooled Threadripper build so I can finally move over to my new system that's been in pieces on the shelves. I've played with a few different mounting locations for the pump/tank and I may have to fabricate mounts after I get a prototype. Anyway, here's some eye-candy.

Reactions: MrSalooh

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
Wow, the ATX (?) version looks incredibly gorgeous and unique, although the top panel looks a little funky since it's just two small ones squeezed together. If it looked a little more like the front panel it'd look great. As for the 401, I don't know how I feel about the front panel design, since the hex pattern doesn't take up the whole pattern. For example, the ATX version looks awesome from the front.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow, the ATX (?) version looks incredibly gorgeous and unique, although the top panel looks a little funky since it's just two small ones squeezed together. If it looked a little more like the front panel it'd look great. As for the 401, I don't know how I feel about the front panel design, since the hex pattern doesn't take up the whole pattern. For example, the ATX version looks awesome from the front.

Thanks! You're right, I'm not a big fan of the top vents on the 700. I'm not that artistic so coming up with something that looks good is a challenge. That said, I will play with it and see how I can try to make it a little more pleasing to the eye. As for the 401 and the front face, I decided to block out the vents at the top for two reasons: 1. Fewer holes means less machine time and thus saves money. 2. The PSU will be directly behind the top-half vent holes so I figured it would make for a cleaner look to blank them out being as they would serve no functional purpose anyway.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
How do you plan to get a pcie extension in the 700? (I don't see a spot for it...

Looking good. : )

Thanks! The PCIe extension is going to be a challenge, but the way I'm planning it now is to loop it down over the mainboard and then underneath it, slide it through the large access hole, and then mount it on the top (where "right" side vent holes are). I didn't have time yesterday to make the extension holes, but I already have this morning. The real challenge is going to see how I can get enough space to route the water cooling lines.

Good news about the PCIe mount: It's forced me to remove some of the vent holes on the top so the top vent design has already been broken up a bit.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Looks great! So now you're working on two form factors ATX and mITX right? sorry if I sounded dumb because I'm little bit confused. Many thanks!

Yes - the mITX is my primary focus right now though. I'm not sure the ATX will be available because it will be expensive to make. I will however have at least one of the ATX case made for myself so I can finally build my threadripper system.

Reactions: MrSalooh

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yes - the mITX is my primary focus right now though. I'm not sure the ATX will be available because it will be expensive to make. I will however have at least one of the ATX case made for myself so I can finally build my threadripper system.
Is that because there are no threadripper itx/matx?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
An update to say there have been no updates. The machine shop is swamped right now with work and although they could have started on my next prototype, they are trying to acquire a lance bridge for the GPU bracket. This may take another week but I want to try and get that feature located during this iteration.

Reactions: BrotherStein

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Is that because there are no threadripper itx/matx?
There is a TR4 mATX board I think (ASROCK?), but the real reason it probably won't be available is that I don't have the money to produce it right now. Maybe after I get the S401 out there and get a few sold I'll be able to research costs and options, but for now I may only have the initial prototype made so I can finally upgrade my i7-3930k system I've been using for years.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I submitted my S700 design to the machine shop to have a prototype made. I'm ready to build my Threadripper system so I can finally move off my 3930k. I don't have an idea on when they'll be able to get to this and I will be out of pocket in the next few weeks because our daughter will be born before April 19th. Good news is that should give me some time while I'm at home to look over the design.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Congratulations on your daughter! A SFF PC means more room for children :p Kids just mean less upgrade money :( I know the pain quite well! :p
Great work thus far, can't wait to see a physical prototype!