Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
That

This Is what I've heard so far, I hope it was a defective on(for Cryorig's sake).

Maybe this would explain some of the variances I’ve seen from independent posts across the net. I’ve seen anywhere from a 2-12C difference in an Al vs Cu comparison.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
-How close does the top of the C7 come to the sidepanel when installed? If it's really close, then I guess we'll see if the addition of the 60mm fans can make up for the loss of a thicker fan (that I can use in my present configuration).
There is about 3mm clearance from the C7 to the vented panel. That said, I found a clearance issue with the C14 PSU inlet and the GPU so I may have to make the entire model wider which would increase that space. I should have a decision made today after I figure something out.
-It seems that 60mm fans are to go on the panel next to the motherboard. If you were to orient the case with that side facing down (i.e. GPU up, components facing to the right), does the stand (which I assume is there but not pictured) have cutouts to allow air to pass through it?
The stand has actually been split into two pieces that use a keyslot and a thumbscrew to hold in place. None of the existing vents will be covered by the feet when assembled.
- I like the GPU vents on the front of the case. Even as the owner of a blower-style card (I know this doesn't apply to AMD reference cards though), there is a little opening on the side opposite of the connector end and I've never been able to figure out if it's an in or an out. Regardless, I feel like those openings should help (AMD reference cards excepting)
Indeed - thanks for the feedback!

Maybe this would explain some of the variances I’ve seen from independent posts across the net. I’ve seen anywhere from a 2-12C difference in an Al vs Cu comparison.

To quote my source "I've informed the man who are in charge of QC this issue and he told me that in first batch of C7CU samples are not the great ones."

Not sure what to make of this but I'm going to wait until the next unit arrives before I conclude anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hey @grsychckn, I'm just sniffing around to see if there have been any updates since your last, um, update. I always feel like a little something is missing when I check my SFF notifications. Hope all is well, sir.

Reactions: MrSalooh

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey @grsychckn, I'm just sniffing around to see if there have been any updates since your last, um, update. I always feel like a little something is missing when I check my SFF notifications. Hope all is well, sir.

Everything is well - I'm very tired but two kids will do that to you. The reason for the lack of updates is because I put on hold development of the next prototype until I could resolve some issues I was causing with the machine shop. I'm not sure I have solved the problem but I'm definitely closer as I found a few discrepancies in my model which actually caused my flat pattern to differ drastically from the one the machine shop made from the files I gave them. I actually hired a tutor for Solidworks to help me "debug" my files and try to figure out what was wrong. On top of that, the manager I work with went on vacation for a week. I also am waiting on them to finish up the S700 prototype so I don't want to overwhelm them with requests as I know these prototypes require a lot of personal attention.

Suffice to say, I'm still working on the S401 and have submitted the latest changes to the shop for fabrication of the 3rd prototype revision. I don't know when they will get to making it but I have to be patient as I'm small potatoes compared to their usual business. I'll hopefully have the next prototype in hand within the next several weeks (assuming there aren't any more problems with the flat pattern). The S401 will get made, the question is how much patience everyone has.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Everything is well - I'm very tired but two kids will do that to you. The reason for the lack of updates is because I put on hold development of the next prototype until I could resolve some issues I was causing with the machine shop. I'm not sure I have solved the problem but I'm definitely closer as I found a few discrepancies in my model which actually caused my flat pattern to differ drastically from the one the machine shop made from the files I gave them. I actually hired a tutor for Solidworks to help me "debug" my files and try to figure out what was wrong. On top of that, the manager I work with went on vacation for a week. I also am waiting on them to finish up the S700 prototype so I don't want to overwhelm them with requests as I know these prototypes require a lot of personal attention.

Suffice to say, I'm still working on the S401 and have submitted the latest changes to the shop for fabrication of the 3rd prototype revision. I don't know when they will get to making it but I have to be patient as I'm small potatoes compared to their usual business. I'll hopefully have the next prototype in hand within the next several weeks (assuming there aren't any more problems with the flat pattern). The S401 will get made, the question is how much patience everyone has.

Thanks for humoring me. I had a basic intro to Solidworks in one of my early college classes so I empathize with the debugging thing. We had to design and build a little air engine, and while not that complicated a design, my partner and I still had our fair share of "fun" seeing as we were both computer/electrical types and trying to get through to the real stuff (for us). That class, I also had to give a short, timed presentation about a particular feature of SW and every time I practiced the presentation, the model came out a little differently with a new bug.

I apologize: I didn't mean to come off as impatient. I understand the difficulties that you've explained. I think I was just a bit jealous to see other case projects that I'm not quite as fond of with a lot of comm traffic while this thread hadn't been bumped for a while. In the meantime, I have myself some other things to keep me occupied so I will proceed with those until the chosen day of the full release.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for humoring me. I had a basic intro to Solidworks in one of my early college classes so I empathize with the debugging thing. We had to design and build a little air engine, and while not that complicated a design, my partner and I still had our fair share of "fun" seeing as we were both computer/electrical types and trying to get through to the real stuff (for us). That class, I also had to give a short, timed presentation about a particular feature of SW and every time I practiced the presentation, the model came out a little differently with a new bug.

I apologize: I didn't mean to come off as impatient. I understand the difficulties that you've explained. I think I was just a bit jealous to see other case projects that I'm not quite as fond of with a lot of comm traffic while this thread hadn't been bumped for a while. In the meantime, I have myself some other things to keep me occupied so I will proceed with those until the chosen day of the full release.

No worries - and don't apologize, it encourages me to see people are still excited for me to be making progress and want to own the S401. If you sensed frustration in my response it's because I had expectations that I'd be getting ready to sell the cases by now but still haven't finalized the design. At this point, it's most likely going to take at least 2 more prototypes before I can be confident in pulling the trigger on manufacturing the S401. All the while, other cases are being sold and new ones keep popping up so I know I'm losing momentum. Regardless, I'll keep updating this thread when I have something to share - hopefully soon. I really appreciate it when people are excited enough to ask about progress so please keep me honest and don't let me be the only one updating this thread. :)

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey @grsychckn have you ever considered the idea to add zip tie mount point as a part of the case (like the ones in node 202) to ease cable managing?

I have in fact. For my last prototype I'm going to see what "bridge" punches are available for me to use so that zip ties can be used in a few spots. The problem I had with the bridge tool when I investigated using it for the end of the GPU bracket was the specific size I wanted required my vendor to purchase the tool and it was going to be $1400 just for the punch tool. Now, I'm hoping my vendor has at least one option in his possession that I can use for the zip ties, but if not I'm going to see if there is a standard size that would only cost me a few hundred dollars instead of the massive price they wanted for the "custom" bridge I initially intended to use. Short answer: I'm making every attempt to include points for zip ties.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I got my first S700 prototype in today. Actually, I got two and so far it looks really nice. I'm more excited about this case than I am the S401. Below are some pictures (albeit bad ones, taken with phone) but expect some better pictures taken with my good camera soon.

That is a Threadripper 1950X on an ASRock ATX mainboard and a Vega 64 LE. The radiator is 360mm x 35mm with 3 x 120mm fans. I've got 4 or 5 different reservoirs and pumps to test fit, but this first prototype is almost good enough to actually have a running system in. One problem is that the machine shop didn't put the right standoffs on the mainboard so it sits really close to the case and the idea was that the PCIe extender would be sandwiched in between those to keep things tidy. I still have to order the PCIe extender with the correct length cable to actually test this setup.

Note that large empty slot in the back. The idea is to support adding an additional SFX/L PSU, PCIe device(s), disk drives, etc. If this case is actually produced for sale, I'll have to offer a few standard options. I'll be using it as either a reservoir mount or a second SFX/L PSU.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Wow this is awesome, I've been looking to move onto a dual gpu setup, looking forward to seeing the production of this case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow this is awesome, I've been looking to move onto a dual gpu setup, looking forward to seeing the production of this case.

Thanks! TBH I'm not sure it is going to be produced. That is all going to depend on the production costs. It's about 2x as complex as the S401 and I'm hoping I can sell that for around $150. I have to finalize the design first though so I can get an accurate cost from my vendor.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how two GPU's will work because this case only supports SFX/SFX-L PSUs and the second GPU would mean only one PSU could be used unless I find a way to mount an additional SFX-only (non-L) PSU somewhere. It would be tight but I'm going to try and figure it out.

Reactions: BrotherStein

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Price estimate for the s700??

I don't know yet - I assume the case is going to cost around $150-175 to produce and then I have to factor in all the accessories, packaging, and shipping costs on top of that. I only recently realized that the PCIe extender I planned on using (bifurcation support) only comes in lengths up to 30cm. Given the full-size ATX board support and the location of the GPU I need a length of around 60cm. I'm currently investigating whether I could daisy chain a Li-Heat extender into a bifurcation riser card as a solution. That means the extender alone is probably going to be around $50 each.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wow, the S700 is looking nice! How many SSDs do you reckon you could fit in there?

2.5" - I think you could jam quite a few in depending on if you install them into the additional GPU/PSU area. If not, there is an area below the motherboard for 2x2.5" drives could fit. It all depends on if I can design one or two adapters that would support mounting 2.5", 3.5", or GPU devices. The less for the fabricator to produce, the more affordable the solution.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Update: I got my first S700 prototype in today. Actually, I got two and so far it looks really nice. I'm more excited about this case than I am the S401. Below are some pictures (albeit bad ones, taken with phone) but expect some better pictures taken with my good camera soon.

That is a Threadripper 1950X on an ASRock ATX mainboard and a Vega 64 LE. The radiator is 360mm x 35mm with 3 x 120mm fans. I've got 4 or 5 different reservoirs and pumps to test fit, but this first prototype is almost good enough to actually have a running system in. One problem is that the machine shop didn't put the right standoffs on the mainboard so it sits really close to the case and the idea was that the PCIe extender would be sandwiched in between those to keep things tidy. I still have to order the PCIe extender with the correct length cable to actually test this setup.

Note that large empty slot in the back. The idea is to support adding an additional SFX/L PSU, PCIe device(s), disk drives, etc. If this case is actually produced for sale, I'll have to offer a few standard options. I'll be using it as either a reservoir mount or a second SFX/L PSU.

Very interested to see how you route everything. Looks amazing!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Also, I'm not entirely sure how two GPU's will work because this case only supports SFX/SFX-L PSUs and the second GPU would mean only one PSU could be used unless I find a way to mount an additional SFX-only (non-L) PSU somewhere. It would be tight but I'm going to try and figure it out.

I would think a Corsair SF600 would be more than enough for two GPUs, but I might be wrong.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I would think a Corsair SF600 would be more than enough for two GPUs, but I might be wrong.

I'm using my configuration to determine power requirements. I've got a Threadripper 1950X with 64GB RAM, Vega 64 LE, 3 x m.2 drives, and water pump & fans. As it stands, I don't think I'd even try an SF600, but because the case supports SFX-L I'll use my Silverstone 750W PSU which should be enough, but just barely.

I can see adding a second GPU would require I also add additional power, so to be safe I'm going to figure out how to combine two SFX or one SFX-L and one SFX PSU together to offer additional power for that second GPU or accessory.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
this might help answer if it's possible. Theoretically you can have a very long pcie extension cable Daisy chained. :)

Maybe we've been doing it all wrong... The trick to smaller computers is just to string everything out to a separate enclosure in a different room somewhere. So, in each room, my PC only takes 0.5 L of space.

Say, @grsychckn, would you happen to have any other computers available for a side-by-side size comparison for the S700? (I know I'm mostly here for the S401 but this is kind of too cool not to follow). However, if the choice is between pictures and figuring out how to route cabling in this crazy beast, by all means, choose cable routing.

For the custom watercooling uninitiated, would a 240mm CPU AIO + 120mm GPU AIO config be possible? Also, if bifurcation/additional PCIe extenders is possible, then it'd be cool to start adding in other non-GPU PCIe devices. In my mind, the reason for jumping up to mATX/ATX would be for PCIe connectivity that I can't make use of in the ITX space.

Reactions: BrotherStein