Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
As an FYI, the 700 will support a "flex" slot where either a second SFX PSU or PCIe device could be installed. My only problem with this idea is that if a second PCIe device is used, you'll probably need an additional PSU anyway as SFX only goes up to 800W. I'm thinking of making another "flex" slot on the mainboard side that would allow HDD/SSDs or a TFX PSU. That way you could have a SFX and TFX PSU plus the additional PCIe device. Otherwise, I may have to change the entire design to support an ATX PSU.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just an FYI, the website has been created. Visit it here.

I have a lot more content to add, but that will have to come as I get closer to producing the S401. Also, our daughter is knocking on my wife's door, so I might be AFK for a few days as we welcome her into the world.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017

I have a lot more content to add, but that will have to come as I get closer to producing the S401. Also, our daughter is knocking on my wife's door, so I might be AFK for a few days as we welcome her into the world.

Congrats on the upcoming birth of your daughter! The site looks great; keep it up!

MrSalooh

Case Bender
New User
Mar 12, 2018

Congratulations on the upcoming baby daughter I hope that she becomes a righteous child, be good to both of you and fill your lives with love and joy. Also congratulations on the website. I hope the sales goes pretty well. Best of luck!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Keyboard dump incoming: BLUF, I'm really glad I found this project and am excited to see where this goes.

My first and current computer is in a Silverstone RVZ02. I learned a lot about what works and doesn't both through experience and constant learning from others. I found out how accurate sizing, layout, and airflow are vital to a successful build. These are a few things I've seen in this thread that I hope do make it into the final product:

- Fan mounts, even for small ones, would be an (theoretical, at least) improvement for me in my passively cooled case.
- Dust filters, if they can be accommodated, are welcome. The amount of dust on my existing filters is frankly a bit appalling (lots of old storage near me... defintiely not my lack of vacuuming).
- I'm a bit more ambivalent about case-mounted I/O. It'd be nice to have but I understand that there are tradeoffs in both space and cost. I'm sure if I really wanted it, I could find a way to get an external header... Maybe someone here already knows of one.

I found this case perchance while crusiing around pcpartpicker ITX builds. A user there had posted their build in one of the 400's and linked to this thread. I have since joined the forum and started poking around but I am currently following this project with the most interest. I even found the build tutorial on YouTube and found it a fascinating process (there was also something nostalgic about the no-nonsense vocal delivery that brought back selected happy memories of engineering school). I'm eager to see more of the new website and forum but definitely good luck and take care with the new kiddo!

Reactions: BrotherStein

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Keyboard dump incoming: BLUF, I'm really glad I found this project and am excited to see where this goes.

My first and current computer is in a Silverstone RVZ02. I learned a lot about what works and doesn't both through experience and constant learning from others. I found out how accurate sizing, layout, and airflow are vital to a successful build. These are a few things I've seen in this thread that I hope do make it into the final product:

- Fan mounts, even for small ones, would be an (theoretical, at least) improvement for me in my passively cooled case.
- Dust filters, if they can be accommodated, are welcome. The amount of dust on my existing filters is frankly a bit appalling (lots of old storage near me... defintiely not my lack of vacuuming).
- I'm a bit more ambivalent about case-mounted I/O. It'd be nice to have but I understand that there are tradeoffs in both space and cost. I'm sure if I really wanted it, I could find a way to get an external header... Maybe someone here already knows of one.

I found this case perchance while crusiing around pcpartpicker ITX builds. A user there had posted their build in one of the 400's and linked to this thread. I have since joined the forum and started poking around but I am currently following this project with the most interest. I even found the build tutorial on YouTube and found it a fascinating process (there was also something nostalgic about the no-nonsense vocal delivery that brought back selected happy memories of engineering school). I'm eager to see more of the new website and forum but definitely good luck and take care with the new kiddo!

Check out my build in this case if you're interested. I threw in a 120mm AIO for the CPU with a half size GPU. It was super fun to build in and mod! I'm extremely excited for the next model coming out.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Check out my build in this case if you're interested. I threw in a 120mm AIO for the CPU with a half size GPU. It was super fun to build in and mod! I'm extremely excited for the next model coming out.

I think I did stumble on your thread. Impressive stuff! Depending on how @grsychckn decides to implement the new rad mount, I'm wondering if there'd be the option to install a slim 120mm with a full-length but strictly double-slot video card. For now, until cheap short cards become available, I'm committed to my full-length reference card. Being able to slip a slim fan on top might not be a bad thing. For your build, I noticed that you used standoffs to pull the fan away from the solid side panel. Does it get enough air that way? Did you consider trying to drill out grill holes? I'd be torn about that on the S401. On the one hand, ventilation for the rad would be nice but it would also break up the aesthetic purpose of the solid side/bottom panel.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I think I did stumble on your thread. Impressive stuff! Depending on how @grsychckn decides to implement the new rad mount, I'm wondering if there'd be the option to install a slim 120mm with a full-length but strictly double-slot video card. For now, until cheap short cards become available, I'm committed to my full-length reference card. Being able to slip a slim fan on top might not be a bad thing. For your build, I noticed that you used standoffs to pull the fan away from the solid side panel. Does it get enough air that way? Did you consider trying to drill out grill holes? I'd be torn about that on the S401. On the one hand, ventilation for the rad would be nice but it would also break up the aesthetic purpose of the solid side/bottom panel.

I think it pulls a decent amount of cool air as is. I haven’t had any issue while playing games thankfully. I thought about drilling holes in the other side, but I don’t have a drill press so it would get messy quick. I’m probably going to pick up the S401 to use my G-Unique power supply and a full length gpu and AIO. Should be fun!

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I think it pulls a decent amount of cool air as is. I haven’t had any issue while playing games thankfully. I thought about drilling holes in the other side, but I don’t have a drill press so it would get messy quick. I’m probably going to pick up the S401 to use my G-Unique power supply and a full length gpu and AIO. Should be fun!

I'm a total noob when it comes to these DC-DC power units. I've a lot of reading to do here before attempting something like that. Still, it does open up possibilities that wouldn't normally be possible. If anything, I'd be looking at a simple migration at first and then maybe additional upgrades (so I don't blow my whole fun budget all at once). Alternately... depending on timeline, perhaps it would be prudent to start experimenting with spacing and cabling for a mini PSU and then do the migration. But first, reading and waiting.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I'm a total noob when it comes to these DC-DC power units. I've a lot of reading to do here before attempting something like that. Still, it does open up possibilities that wouldn't normally be possible. If anything, I'd be looking at a simple migration at first and then maybe additional upgrades (so I don't blow my whole fun budget all at once). Alternately... depending on timeline, perhaps it would be prudent to start experimenting with spacing and cabling for a mini PSU and then do the migration. But first, reading and waiting.

Most of the mini psu units you can get are already wired and configured with a brick so you don't have to do much. Total noob here too! I've been on this forum for about 7 months or so and have learned quite a bit. Plus everyone here is super helpful.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Got some new images for the S401. The S700 is currently being fabricated and should be in my hands next week. I will immediately build my new workstation in the S700 assuming there's nothing horribly wrong with it that would prevent me from building.

The S401 needs some tweaks here and there, mostly for the 60mm fan locations, GPU/PCIe extender fitment, front USB mounting, and PSU extender location. Below are pictures of the latest prototype (revision 2) of the S401. This is built using a standard mITX mainboard, Sapphire AMD R9 Fury, and a Lian-Li SFX-L PSU. PCIe bifurcation extender/adapter is what I plan on using to support 1 dual-slot or 2 single-slot PCIe devices. Sorry for the low quality images, been quite busy with the machine shop, new baby, and home insurance claim for the tree that hit my house.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Got some new images for the S401. The S700 is currently being fabricated and should be in my hands next week. I will immediately build my new workstation in the S700 assuming there's nothing horribly wrong with it that would prevent me from building.

The S401 needs some tweaks here and there, mostly for the 60mm fan locations, GPU/PCIe extender fitment, front USB mounting, and PSU extender location. Below are pictures of the latest prototype (revision 2) of the S401. This is built using a standard mITX mainboard, Sapphire AMD R9 Fury, and a Lian-Li SFX-L PSU. PCIe bifurcation extender/adapter is what I plan on using to support 1 dual-slot or 2 single-slot PCIe devices. Sorry for the low quality images, been quite busy with the machine shop, new baby, and home insurance claim for the tree that hit my house.

I see you got your hands on a c7 cu. :) How do you like it?

Reactions: BrotherStein

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I see you got your hands on a c7 cu. :) How do you like it?

I can't really comment on it much right now as it is a review unit. I can say that if it is representative of the final product, it is definitely not worth the additional $20 over the regular C7. My Cryorig contact is going to send me an additional review unit though as apparently the one I have was part of a batch they think had a defect, so when I get the new unit I'm going to finish writing the review and post it here and on my website.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Is it possible for the S401 to have compatibility with the HDPlex 400w DC-ATX+HDPlex 300w AC-DC??
I don't have an HDPlex PSU to test with but I'm going to try and provide 4 holes that could be used to mount one if you desire. I'm adding those in this weekend along with holes for a second 3.5" drive and a 120mm radiator. The hardware for the radiator and the screws for the HDPlex will not be supplied with the case.

Reactions: DSmithBYU

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
That
I can't really comment on it much right now as it is a review unit. I can say that if it is representative of the final product, it is definitely not worth the additional $20 over the regular C7. My Cryorig contact is going to send me an additional review unit though as apparently the one I have was part of a batch they think had a defect, so when I get the new unit I'm going to finish writing the review and post it here and on my website.
This Is what I've heard so far, I hope it was a defective on(for Cryorig's sake).

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

He's back! Thanks for remembering us despite the tree, child, and other assorted life events.

A few comments/questions:
-How close does the top of the C7 come to the sidepanel when installed? If it's really close, then I guess we'll see if the addition of the 60mm fans can make up for the loss of a thicker fan (that I can use in my present configuration). Speaking of 60mm fans...
-It seems that 60mm fans are to go on the panel next to the motherboard. If you were to orient the case with that side facing down (i.e. GPU up, components facing to the right), does the stand (which I assume is there but not pictured) have cutouts to allow air to pass through it?
- I like the GPU vents on the front of the case. Even as the owner of a blower-style card (I know this doesn't apply to AMD reference cards though), there is a little opening on the side opposite of the connector end and I've never been able to figure out if it's an in or an out. Regardless, I feel like those openings should help (AMD reference cards excepting)