Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I think an AIO solution *might* work but the vertical clearance would probably limit you to the kind that have swivel connections because brands like Enermax have inlets/outlets that are vertically fixed and could kink the hoses due to a limited vertical clearance. I can't know for sure just yet how much clearance will be available as I just updated the model last night to provide some additional clearance, but as soon as I did that I realized I needed to raise the mainboard as well so I basically negated my gains. I fully expect the next prototype to be a very good representation of the final version where this clearance is concerned.

Thanks for thinking through it. Interested to see what's possible; that's the hobby, isn't it? Seeing what you can do to stretch what's possible?

I'm definitely not a businessman - this started as a hobby. I certainly don't expect it to supplement my full-time job or turn into anything meaningful. I really just want it to be productive enough for me to justify my time and resources in providing these cases. As for marketing I have a few ideas as well as those mentioned in this thread but all cost money. Even donating a case for review is costly because I have to pay for the case and shipping. Then I have to figure those costs into my profit calculation to ensure I'm not losing money. At the end of the day, these cases will be made (even if in small batches) but the end bottom line costs will effect the price I ask. That said, I am still targeting $150 for the S401 and would like to see a similar price for the S700.

That's true: it takes money to make money. At least you've got the spark - I struggle with creativity. Once something exists, I can work to understand it but original content? A struggle indeed. Hopefully you can grab some free advertising from enthusiastic users that can spread the word sufficiently (going the small batch route).

BTW, the S700 is coming together nicely; I'm tempted to do a server build in one of them. Good luck with everything! Looking forward to the individual posts on SFF Forum!

Mmmmm... server build... now there's a tempting thought. Of course, at this point in time, I'd be a man with a solution in search of a problem. It's also hard to imagine putting all the money and effort into a predominantly water cooled system in a custom-made case and not use it as some kind of showpiece build.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
I have a few but they have similar discrepancies like the GPU tab doesn't line up exactly and the mainboard IO panel is off a bit. I didn't mention this above though because I haven't even begun prototyping the side panels, stand, or PSU mount.

1- Will this compromise the GPU cooler and CPU cooler face-up orientation of the case??
2- Does the S401 prototypes have accommodations for the HDPlex 400w HiFi 400w DC-ATX power supply and HDPlex 300w AC-DC internal adapter combo??
3- If I were to use a GPU like EVGA's GTX 1060 SC or MSI's AERO GTX 1070 ITX, will there be extra space for, as well as adapters for a 3.5" HDD??
4- Does the S401 have accommodations for 40mm/60mm case fans??

Anyway, if you are interested in one, let me know - I think I have two I'd be willing to part with.
Permission to PM for a deal arrangement I wanna build a new rig as a graduation present for myself.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
1- Will this compromise the GPU cooler and CPU cooler face-up orientation of the case??
2- Does the S401 prototypes have accommodations for the HDPlex 400w HiFi 400w DC-ATX power supply and HDPlex 300w AC-DC internal adapter combo??
3- If I were to use a GPU like EVGA's GTX 1060 SC or MSI's AERO GTX 1070 ITX, will there be extra space for, as well as adapters for a 3.5" HDD??
4- Does the S401 have accommodations for 40mm/60mm case fans??

Permission to PM for a deal arrangement I wanna build a new rig as a graduation present for myself.

1. No, the orientation of the GPU/CPU is the same and the vertical clearances are fine. I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow that show the problems clearly.
2. No, the prototype S401 I have now does not have the holes for the HDPlex PSU solution. These mounts will be tested on the next prototype.
3. Although I have not tested the clearances yet with ITX GPUs, I do believe you will be able to mount 1 3.5" drive with either of these GPUs.
4. The current S401 prototype has 3 mounts for 60mm x 15.5mm fans. A 4th mount has interference with a fastener and could be mounted but would probably vibrate.

Sure, PM me and let's have a chat - I'm sure we can work something out that would benefit us both.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
Understood on the HDPlex. At the very least, does the prototype still have the initial mounts for a PSU?
3 case fans installations is better than none.

Sent it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
No, you can use an ITX or mATX board in there as well. I don't have one to test but I believe the space is big enough for *some* E-ATX boards too.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
A tip: I recommend you take it outside and take pictures about 1-2 hrs before sunset if you don't have a studio. Natural lighting and a pleasant black drop does wonders.

I also understand your situation about profitability. It's extremely tough to turn a profit. I also just want to make enough to make it worth my effort while enjoying the hobby. I make equivalent of $30/hr at my day job and I'd be lucky to make $8/hr running an sff business.

Very cool cases by the way. I see you struggle with exterior design. If you aren't good with it, I'd focus on simple and functional exterior design, and put more energy on quality and materials. A quality powder coat for example can make most exterior design look and feel legit.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
A tip: I recommend you take it outside and take pictures about 1-2 hrs before sunset if you don't have a studio. Natural lighting and a pleasant black drop does wonders.

I also understand your situation about profitability. It's extremely tough to turn a profit. I also just want to make enough to make it worth my effort while enjoying the hobby. I make equivalent of $30/hr at my day job and I'd be lucky to make $8/hr running an sff business.

Very cool cases by the way. I see you struggle with exterior design. If you aren't good with it, I'd focus on simple and functional exterior design, and put more energy on quality and materials. A quality powder coat for example can make most exterior design look and feel legit.
Thank you! It is difficult to turn a profit and what you do make the tax man waits to scrape his off the top too. Thanks for the advice to shoot near sunset - I've done that before but I'm probably going to get a friend to take some official shots once I get past the prototype stage.

I'm not really the creative type. I like to play with the space though and being an engineer I enjoy the challenge to make something unique using different volumes. So my exterior design is lacking but I agree with the powder coating and simplicity statement. Making it feel quality means more to me than making it look different/unique at 5 feet but feel flimsy/cheap when held.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Good news as I had the fabricator run an initial estimate for producing the S401 and it looks like I should be able to hit my goal of $150 assuming other components don't bloat the cost. It is still very possible that the price will fluctuate by up to $15, but that will remain to be seen until I have all the final costs in front of me. If there is little change, I will be producing 100 units of the S401.

I submitted the entire revision 4 assembly of the S401 this morning to be fabricated. This means my next prototype should be a very near representation of the final product less some minor hole location adjustments. At the same time, I'm working on the shipping solution such that I'll have custom foam end caps produced that should help packaging prior to shipping. I'm also working with an electronics supplier to provide the C14 PSU extension cable for inside the cases.

Unfortunately, I will not be supporting bifurcation in either the S401 or the S700. The vendor of the bifurcation adapter would not provide me with more than a $3 discount for purchasing 100 units. I can't justify purchasing a $55 adapter that would then also require an additional extender for the S700. The Li-Heat extenders cost around $22 each at 100 units so cutting costs in half I feel is worth it. I don't imagine many people will use the bifurcation anyway. If you were interested in that feature - I'm sorry but I can't justify it at this price point.

Saudsvartur

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2018
The S700 looks really good despite the image quality! I really like the honeycomb grill design.

If you don't have a studio handy, I've found that breeder lamps and Cree daylight equivalent (5000K) / spectrum LED bulbs from Home Depot are a cheap way to build an indoor lighting kit.

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Update: Good news as I had the fabricator run an initial estimate for producing the S401 and it looks like I should be able to hit my goal of $150 assuming other components don't bloat the cost. It is still very possible that the price will fluctuate by up to $15, but that will remain to be seen until I have all the final costs in front of me. If there is little change, I will be producing 100 units of the S401.

I submitted the entire revision 4 assembly of the S401 this morning to be fabricated. This means my next prototype should be a very near representation of the final product less some minor hole location adjustments. At the same time, I'm working on the shipping solution such that I'll have custom foam end caps produced that should help packaging prior to shipping. I'm also working with an electronics supplier to provide the C14 PSU extension cable for inside the cases.

Unfortunately, I will not be supporting bifurcation in either the S401 or the S700. The vendor of the bifurcation adapter would not provide me with more than a $3 discount for purchasing 100 units. I can't justify purchasing a $55 adapter that would then also require an additional extender for the S700. The Li-Heat extenders cost around $22 each at 100 units so cutting costs in half I feel is worth it. I don't imagine many people will use the bifurcation anyway. If you were interested in that feature - I'm sorry but I can't justify it at this price point.

Ooh, good news! Looking forward to seeing the V4 prototype. What I/O are you projecting to ship with?

Thanks for sticking with the S401 even though your heart is really with the S700. It always did bug me (aesthetically) that most/all console cases had the GPU and CPU facing opposite directions. Ever since I saw the S400 in a PCPP build, the bug wouldn't let me go so I'm glad to be here.

Aranel

Cable Smoosher
Jan 5, 2018
Ehi grsychckn, I was wondering, eventually are you planning to add support for decimflex filters?

And talking of shipment, in your opinion there would be the chance to ship to Europe?

Thanks

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ooh, good news! Looking forward to seeing the V4 prototype. What I/O are you projecting to ship with?

Thanks for sticking with the S401 even though your heart is really with the S700. It always did bug me (aesthetically) that most/all console cases had the GPU and CPU facing opposite directions. Ever since I saw the S400 in a PCPP build, the bug wouldn't let me go so I'm glad to be here.
Thank you! I am going to try and include the front mount USB type C like the 400. I will also include a PCIe extender and power button.

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ehi grsychckn, I was wondering, eventually are you planning to add support for decimflex filters?

And talking of shipment, in your opinion there would be the chance to ship to Europe?

Thanks
Yes to decimflex filters. Because the case is steel they will naturally stick and hold.

I will also ship to Europe as I'm planning on using fedex and DHL for international shipping. You would save money though if you looked into a service like "ship it to".

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thank you! I am going to try and include the front mount USB type C like the 400. I will also include a PCIe extender and power button.

Now front mounted USB-C is an interesting prospect. Between that and the extender and power button, it sounds like everything I'd need.

Of course, there's a chance that I'll end up sticking a USB-C hub off the front and then I'm back to a handful of USB-A connections. :| My way of having fun I guess.

Reactions: grsychckn

papayo

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
Anybody manage to fit a Gigabyte 1070 mini in this case? I think it's 5mm too wide but figured I'd check.

Edit: For the record, it didn't fit :'D. Going back through the thread, it's officially 11mm wider than the max recommended (120mm). I did however just get in an msi 1060 itx that fit beautifully and the gpu thermals under load are far better than I was getting with the 970 OEM blower card it replaced (-10c).

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak