Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
this might help answer if it's possible. Theoretically you can have a very long pcie extension cable Daisy chained. :)

Indeed, I'd like something a bit more simple though. Expanders are expensive as it is and it would be nice if I could provide a "preferred" solution (even include it with each case). That said, I just got my 600mm Thermaltake PCI extender in the mail and I'm going to see how it fits. I might approach Li-Heat to come up with a solution because their prices will be much more reasonable than the $70 thermaltake + $30 bifurcation adapter. Thanks for the link - I've watched that one before and it is very informative.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Maybe we've been doing it all wrong... The trick to smaller computers is just to string everything out to a separate enclosure in a different room somewhere. So, in each room, my PC only takes 0.5 L of space.

Say, @grsychckn, would you happen to have any other computers available for a side-by-side size comparison for the S700? (I know I'm mostly here for the S401 but this is kind of too cool not to follow). However, if the choice is between pictures and figuring out how to route cabling in this crazy beast, by all means, choose cable routing.

For the custom watercooling uninitiated, would a 240mm CPU AIO + 120mm GPU AIO config be possible? Also, if bifurcation/additional PCIe extenders is possible, then it'd be cool to start adding in other non-GPU PCIe devices. In my mind, the reason for jumping up to mATX/ATX would be for PCIe connectivity that I can't make use of in the ITX space.

In the space where the additional PSU or GPU would mount is also a great place to mount a 120mm radiator. There might not be much clearance for a 120x25cm fan though - you'd be better off using a 120x15cm fan so you can vent the exhaust efficiently. Using this location, you might even be able to mount a 240mm radiator. I've got an extra lying around and I'll be sure to take a look and see if I can figure out how it could be mounted.

As for the pictures, ask and ye shall receive. It only took until Sunday for me to get time to take some pictures - and now I'm typing responses while my son is in the bath.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That S700 is still quite a compact case, is there a limit on what size 360mm radiator it can support. I wouldn't be interested in SLI just a single GPU with riser, tons of room on the GPU side for pump/reservoir.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That S700 is still quite a compact case, is there a limit on what size 360mm radiator it can support. I wouldn't be interested in SLI just a single GPU with riser, tons of room on the GPU side for pump/reservoir.
If you mean what thickness, it will support up to a 35mm thick radiator. It might fit a 40mm because I designed some extra clearance, but the location of the inlet/outlet would be key as the mounting slots only allow so much vertical adjustment.

Also, I found that a 120x240mm radiator will fit inside the "flex" space. It might even work well with a combination of SSDs/HDDs and a 120mm radiator. I bought some really neat 4x2.5" tool-less caddies as well as a modular radiator adapter - both for a different brand of case, but why re-invent the wheel? I'm going to try to make some mounts that work with both so I don't have to pay for custom fabrication.

Exclemator

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2018
I've been looking for a case like this and I would go absolutely crazy with a modded S700.

It'd be a dual mITX system with GPUs mounted below the motherboard via risers. A SFF GPU on one side to accommodate the SFX-L PSU (and a KMPKT PSU if needed) or dual SFF GPUs for dual SFX power supply compatibility. Depending on temps a radiator could easily be added to the top/bottom. Pumps could be fitted where space permits.

It's the dream.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The S400 and S401 are in top form. Hope production's in good order!
Thank you - once I get some time (good luck), I need to start individual threads for the S700 and the S401. Given how well the S700 prototype fits the components, I think I'm only going to need one more prototype and it will be ready for production. I have to wait and see what my solution is for the flex space so I can know my mount points will work.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I've been looking for a case like this and I would go absolutely crazy with a modded S700.

It'd be a dual mITX system with GPUs mounted below the motherboard via risers. A SFF GPU on one side to accommodate the SFX-L PSU (and a KMPKT PSU if needed) or dual SFF GPUs for dual SFX power supply compatibility. Depending on temps a radiator could easily be added to the top/bottom. Pumps could be fitted where space permits.

It's the dream.

That would take quite a bit of customization, especially mounting a second mainboard on what is now the GPU/PSU side. It would be possible though as it's only 4 holes but you'd have to drill them and then find a way to insert standoffs for mounting (and then cut open the IO backplate hole). A similar modification would be necessary to include a GPU on the existing mainboard side. Not to say you couldn't do it, but be prepared for lots of cutting and hole drilling if that's what you really want. OTOH, if you wanted a prototype of your own and I have time, I could try and see if I could get one fabbed up, but it's going to be VERY expensive. Each prototype for the S700 costs me $1200US - and this wouldn't include a fee for my time to create a one-off design. The S401 runs right at $500US so my costs are already adding up for these two.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
@grsychckn, if you give us your city, should we send babysitters over? (I say that because my sister was helping to watch some kids yesterday so babysitting is on my mind)

That flex space is a pretty interesting concept. It'll be neat to see what you come up with. My question with the 120/240 rads was if the hole pattern on the front of the case would support separate rads i.e. instead of a single 360 rad, there were a 120 and 240 up there instead. Granted, since the point of having a bigger case is for a CPU you can only get in ATX, one may not get very far with a single 240 cooling it... Still looking forward to seeing how cable/cooling routing looks for an at least semi-functioning system.

Looking at your last post and seeing the prototype costs... well, that's quite an eye-opener about the design process I never really grasped. For the amount of time you spend catering to us, thank you. I hope we can make this worth your while. It's become nearly a daily occurrence where I glance at my RVZ02 and imagine it as an S401. Space savings? Just a touch here and there. Performance increase? Optimisticaly so with installation of extra fans. Sweet looks and pure SFF street cred? In spades.

Reactions: Aranel

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Are there any cases left to purchase?
Sorry - not currently. The S400 sold out in early January and I've been working on the S401 and S700 designs since. I was hoping in February to have them both completed by May but I guess you can see how that deadline is going. The S700 is currently the closest to being complete though as there are fewer parts.

I just sent a message to my fabricator to see if I could get an updated timeline for him so my expectations can be set for the next round of prototypes. It seems he's been very busy this month (and taken vacations) so hopefully things for him will slow down just enough to give the small guys like me some machine time. In the meantime, I've still got a lot of cleanup to do on my models and drawings to help speed up the process so I've also got tons of work on my plate.

Long story longer - I'm still optimistic about getting the designs complete in the next two months with production runs in late July or early August. I hate to set a date that far out but it seems I get about one prototype a month so that is currently the rate I'm basing these numbers on. Regardless, I'll be starting the new threads on the S401 and S700 separately so I can better keep track and gauge interest in the projects - so keep your eyes open for those.

Reactions: Aranel

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn, if you give us your city, should we send babysitters over? (I say that because my sister was helping to watch some kids yesterday so babysitting is on my mind)

That flex space is a pretty interesting concept. It'll be neat to see what you come up with. My question with the 120/240 rads was if the hole pattern on the front of the case would support separate rads i.e. instead of a single 360 rad, there were a 120 and 240 up there instead. Granted, since the point of having a bigger case is for a CPU you can only get in ATX, one may not get very far with a single 240 cooling it... Still looking forward to seeing how cable/cooling routing looks for an at least semi-functioning system.

Looking at your last post and seeing the prototype costs... well, that's quite an eye-opener about the design process I never really grasped. For the amount of time you spend catering to us, thank you. I hope we can make this worth your while. It's become nearly a daily occurrence where I glance at my RVZ02 and imagine it as an S401. Space savings? Just a touch here and there. Performance increase? Optimisticaly so with installation of extra fans. Sweet looks and pure SFF street cred? In spades.

Thanks for the compliments. I don't think the front rad mount will support a 240 and a 120 radiator unfortunately. The additional space required for the inlets/outlets would add an additional inch to the height of the entire case. I'm going to try to show an example of an additional 240/120 radiator mounted in the "flex" area though to see what people think. The question would be the airflow - the side-vented rad will be restricted due to the limited clearance behind it.

As for the cost: I'd love to be able to produce these cheaper but I like using this vendor because I can drive 1.5 hours and be at the shop and talk to the guys actually making them. I'd love to have enough interest to produce 100 of each the S401 and S700 but the payments for that would demand a high confidence I could sell them and make some money for my time and resources spent in development. If I only make $10 each case, I'd be limited to $1000 in my pocket if I sell 100 units. That math has really discouraged me from trying to go big and make a large batch. Either way, I have to get a good estimate from my vendor to see what the actual costs would be given different quantities. At this point, I actually expect the S700 might be less expensive to make due to fewer parts, but I won't know for sure until I get something solid from them. As soon as I do I'll also update the appropriate thread(s).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, I received two S700 prototype version 1 cases. If someone is willing to make a reasonable offer I'd be willing to ship it out. It would not come with the PCIe extender(s) or side panels. It also has the wrong holes punched beneath the mainboard for 2.5" drives and the mainboard IO cutout is slightly off so it would have to be either modified to use the IO shield or not use the shield at all. Basically, anything other than the mainboard, GPU, and PSU will require modification. I may even be willing to do the same with the other prototype as soon as I get my next revision. If you're interested, contact me.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for the compliments. I don't think the front rad mount will support a 240 and a 120 radiator unfortunately. The additional space required for the inlets/outlets would add an additional inch to the height of the entire case. I'm going to try to show an example of an additional 240/120 radiator mounted in the "flex" area though to see what people think. The question would be the airflow - the side-vented rad will be restricted due to the limited clearance behind it.

Thanks for the answer to that. Like I said: total noob so even an AIO would be a step up for me.

As for the cost: I'd love to be able to produce these cheaper but I like using this vendor because I can drive 1.5 hours and be at the shop and talk to the guys actually making them. I'd love to have enough interest to produce 100 of each the S401 and S700 but the payments for that would demand a high confidence I could sell them and make some money for my time and resources spent in development. If I only make $10 each case, I'd be limited to $1000 in my pocket if I sell 100 units. That math has really discouraged me from trying to go big and make a large batch. Either way, I have to get a good estimate from my vendor to see what the actual costs would be given different quantities. At this point, I actually expect the S700 might be less expensive to make due to fewer parts, but I won't know for sure until I get something solid from them. As soon as I do I'll also update the appropriate thread(s).

I sympathize with the math. I'm a technical type (perhaps as yourself?) and haven't got a mind for the business. I truly do appreciate the ability to check in with the shop directly and understand that there are steep costs to have it done nearby (though, where possible, I support supporting the local economy). I hope that a marketing-type can get in touch with you to help with your branding/advertising so you can get your product circulated.

Actually, after browsing the thread a bit (because I remembered you had a website that I can't seem to find again :\ ) there are a lot of suggestions for publicity. I hope you can get circulated around so that your thought/design time can get a decent shot at being recouped.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for the answer to that. Like I said: total noob so even an AIO would be a step up for me.

I sympathize with the math. I'm a technical type (perhaps as yourself?) and haven't got a mind for the business. I truly do appreciate the ability to check in with the shop directly and understand that there are steep costs to have it done nearby (though, where possible, I support supporting the local economy). I hope that a marketing-type can get in touch with you to help with your branding/advertising so you can get your product circulated.

Actually, after browsing the thread a bit (because I remembered you had a website that I can't seem to find again :\ ) there are a lot of suggestions for publicity. I hope you can get circulated around so that your thought/design time can get a decent shot at being recouped.

I think an AIO solution *might* work but the vertical clearance would probably limit you to the kind that have swivel connections because brands like Enermax have inlets/outlets that are vertically fixed and could kink the hoses due to a limited vertical clearance. I can't know for sure just yet how much clearance will be available as I just updated the model last night to provide some additional clearance, but as soon as I did that I realized I needed to raise the mainboard as well so I basically negated my gains. I fully expect the next prototype to be a very good representation of the final version where this clearance is concerned.

I'm definitely not a businessman - this started as a hobby. I certainly don't expect it to supplement my full-time job or turn into anything meaningful. I really just want it to be productive enough for me to justify my time and resources in providing these cases. As for marketing I have a few ideas as well as those mentioned in this thread but all cost money. Even donating a case for review is costly because I have to pay for the case and shipping. Then I have to figure those costs into my profit calculation to ensure I'm not losing money. At the end of the day, these cases will be made (even if in small batches) but the end bottom line costs will effect the price I ask. That said, I am still targeting $150 for the S401 and would like to see a similar price for the S700.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
Also, I received two S700 prototype version 1 cases. If someone is willing to make a reasonable offer I'd be willing to ship it out. It would not come with the PCIe extender(s) or side panels. It also has the wrong holes punched beneath the mainboard for 2.5" drives and the mainboard IO cutout is slightly off so it would have to be either modified to use the IO shield or not use the shield at all. Basically, anything other than the mainboard, GPU, and PSU will require modification. I may even be willing to do the same with the other prototype as soon as I get my next revision. If you're interested, contact me.

Let me know if you end up getting a prototype of the S401! ;)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Let me know if you end up getting a prototype of the S401! ;)
I have a few but they have similar discrepancies like the GPU tab doesn't line up exactly and the mainboard IO panel is off a bit. I didn't mention this above though because I haven't even begun prototyping the side panels, stand, or PSU mount. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to change the PSU mount as I actually hate the design I had with the S400 because the nuts are hard to tighten down if the PSU cable inlet is directly above them. Anyway, if you are interested in one, let me know - I think I have two I'd be willing to part with.

Reactions: DSmithBYU

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
I have a few but they have similar discrepancies like the GPU tab doesn't line up exactly and the mainboard IO panel is off a bit. I didn't mention this above though because I haven't even begun prototyping the side panels, stand, or PSU mount. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to change the PSU mount as I actually hate the design I had with the S400 because the nuts are hard to tighten down if the PSU cable inlet is directly above them. Anyway, if you are interested in one, let me know - I think I have two I'd be willing to part with.

The PSU mounting was a minor issue IMO, but if you found a better way that would be awesome as well. Let me know when you have the next revision of the S401. I would definitely want a side panel to go with it, but wouldn't mind doing a little modding. BTW, the S700 is coming together nicely; I'm tempted to do a server build in one of them. Good luck with everything! Looking forward to the individual posts on SFF Forum!