Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
9. Is anyone else running a matx mobo in the cerberus having issues getting the mobo's i/o panel to be flush with the shield? I'm able to access everything I need to, but some of my ports just seem recessed slightly.
Me too, i was unable to fix my i/o shield. However, on my crosshair vi hero, i/o shield is pretty thick...i don’t really know who’s fault it was..:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
simple : to free maximum space for long gpu..:D

Exactly. However with the Infinity Vents and zip ties or screws hang the psu wherever you want! Lots of possibilities in this case which is why I feel it will be my last ATX chassis ever. We can swap parts, brackets, panels to change color and on and on. Nothing else like it anywhere.

Good stuff.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
Me too, i was unable to fix my i/o shield. However, on my crosshair vi hero, i/o shield is pretty thick...i don’t really know who’s fault it was..:)
I had an absolute HELL of a time getting my IO plate to stay put. But I eventually did it. I think the case walls might be too thick for most of the little pokey bits on the shield to through and hold it in place.

urdmiz

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2017
I just ordered a white ceberus, tired of waiting for my DAN Case A4 to arrive which is still tow months away i believe.

Reactions: KSliger

phazeshifta

Cable Smoosher
Nov 23, 2017
Any chance you could make the front grill 12-13mm wider to fit a standard 25mm fan in that area? It's the only thing that's holding me back from buying.

Make that happen and I'd buy this in a heartbeat over the SMA8-A that I'll be ordering tomorrow morning.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Any chance you could make the front grill 12-13mm wider to fit a standard 25mm fan in that area? It's the only thing that's holding me back from buying.

Make that happen and I'd buy this in a heartbeat over the SMA8-A that I'll be ordering tomorrow morning.

I don't know that the good people at Sliger can get that front panel changed by tomorrow morning but the SMA8-A is huge. Very different design philosophies in play. It looks really nice regardless but kind of the opposite of SFF ATX.

To make sure I follow this is the one correct?

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Why do you want 25mm fan on external front side?
You can put a 30mm thick radiator + 25mm fan on the interior if you choose a reference/fe gpu (26.67cm +5.5cm=32.17...that fits inside 32.9cm depth of cerberus)

Of course, sma8-a is total opposite market than cerberus-x...comletely up to you

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
if it mounts it should work. just that you're going to have that gap around the USB-C socket where the USB-A socket would have filled

making a cover spacer should cover it up, but take note of the gap meant for overmolds (i.e. not too thick. test fit without screwing it in and measure the gap on the plug (cable end) that's exposed from the socket. you don't want it thicker than that)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
absolutely...:)
difficulty is to find this usb type-c connector. Definitely be quiet got one on their last case dark base 700 (original type A connector converted into type C).
Lian-li got one also.

Currently on my cerberus-x my front usb 2.0 are disabled...and i don't really need as i have usb passthrough on my keyboard and mouse pad...:)
I might consider to tweak and update to type C...but i need to find a proper cable..:D

Edit : Lian li type C cable :
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-ic01nh45/

Last edited:

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Hello,

so, my build is finished, yay!

Images attached bellow, hope you like it as I do :)

Might help someone who is about to build or even purchase new HW:

• you can fit 240mm AIO on the bottom and not in the front - with 40cm long tubes it was impossible to twist it comfortably (with respect to other HW)
  • if you put SFX / SFX-L PSU on the back (like I did) + want to use AIO be prepared to bend the tubes on the pump - might be solved with AIO that has fittings on the side instead on the top. Even though mine has quite robust (but flexible!) tubes, it is quite a bend between pump and PSU (but all works and seems to be in the OK territory). With normal PSU it would be impossible for me to bend it because there would be literally no space.
  • With no exhaust fan (I have no way to mount it anywhere - waiting for my second package with handle to arrive) it gets quite "toasty" around motherboard in this config (nothing major, but I see the difference from previous case). Especially if your case sits right above radiator as mine XD
  • Really think through what goes where and in what order - it gets quickly compact and there was no possibility of "oh, I forgot this 15minutes ago, so I just do it now".
  • Start with plugging front IO. These little bastards disappeared under tubings, sata cables, power cables and god knows what else in seconds after I put anything inside the case.
  • In case this small it took me 2 hours (including cleaning mess I always do when building computers) to disembowel my old case and put everything into Cerberus
  • Building in Cerberus was quite weird combination of fun and stress - right after "if this does not fit here with all cables already there I have literally no other place to put it" comes "It is coming together really, really fast in case this small. Oh...am I done already? Wasn't that hard after all!"
+ BONUS - my wife took a picture of me mounting the motherboard (and decided to include Vault Boy as well). She said I had this face expression the whole time of the assembly XD:thumb:

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice build @dreix ! I'm happy of your happiness while building in Cerberus..:)

You are right about 400mm tubing of Celsius s24 AIO...I noticed that also with my customed swiftech AIO. For front radiator, you need really shorter tubes..:)

For airflow, it should not be that bad as you have both PSU and a "small" 140mm fan on above MB.

Is Celsius S24 pump noisy?