Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
That's not a bad suggestion. I'll try both and measure temps. Do you think the fans on the radiator should suck air in or push air out from the front? The GPUs draw air from the front and exhaust out the rear.
I say suck it inward, because the GPUs are all pushing the air out of the case on the IO side. Don't wanna make a tug-o-war vacuum locally at the air impellers. It might heat up the GPUs at load, but I'd guess blowing warm air at them is safer than starving them of air.

although with the vents above the case I'm not sure if outside air would passively fill and feed into the GPU fans with the low-pressure area. most definitely needs testing

Reactions: Biowarejak

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
Do you think the fans on the radiator should suck air in or push air out from the front? The GPUs draw air from the front and exhaust out the rear.

huh, this is a tough one. ordinarily i would say intake is a bad idea here since it's dumping warm air on the GPU intakes, but with those stacked blowers, you really just want as much positive pressure as you can get. the temp gain from the radiator will only be a couple of degrees, max. i would add a pair of 140mm fans on the bottom of the case as intakes as well. (i plan to use something like the phanteks PH-F140HP with 120mm mounting holes on the bottom.)

if you do go this route (lots of fans blowing on the GPUs), i'll be curious to see what effect flipping the panel perforations around has on GPU temps. my experience with tightly packed, air-cooled GPUs has been that side ventilation helps a ton, but then again i've only ever done it with aftermarket-style coolers and those are a totally different game.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
huh, this is a tough one. ordinarily i would say intake is a bad idea here since it's dumping warm air on the GPU intakes, but with those stacked blowers, you really just want as much positive pressure as you can get. the temp gain from the radiator will only be a couple of degrees, max. i would add a pair of 140mm fans on the bottom of the case as intakes as well. (i plan to use something like the phanteks PH-F140HP with 120mm mounting holes on the bottom.)

if you do go this route (lots of fans blowing on the GPUs), i'll be curious to see what effect flipping the panel perforations around has on GPU temps. my experience with tightly packed, air-cooled GPUs has been that side ventilation helps a ton, but then again i've only ever done it with aftermarket-style coolers and those are a totally different game.
Yes he needs to try both configurations...:)

charlesdab

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2017
Hi All-

Looking for some follow up information:

1. There are two cables that go to the power button. One is white-and-black the other is red-and-black. Which does what?

2. What is the quantity of all screws that ship with the unit? What are they for?

3. Are there recommendations for types of filters and where/how to attach them?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hi All-

Looking for some follow up information:

1. There are two cables that go to the power button. One is white-and-black the other is red-and-black. Which does what?

2. What is the quantity of all screws that ship with the unit? What are they for?

3. Are there recommendations for types of filters and where/how to attach them?

1. I'll have a better answer on this when I get home, I believe white and black is LED and red and black is power button.

2. I don't remember the exact number for the screws, it will depend on the options you choose, they are primarily for the SFX bracket, hardware brackets. In the prototype unit here is what I received:

3. I used some "okay"™ 120mm filters from amazon for my front intake. More research needs to be done here.

Last edited by a moderator:

algapaf

Cable Smoosher
Apr 17, 2017
Could someone tell me what the distance from the edge of a standard 244mm mobo to the inside of the front panel is ?

charlesdab

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 5, 2017
1. I'll have a better answer on this when I get home, I believe white and black is LED and red and black is power button.

2. I don't remember the exact number for the screws, it will depend on the options you choose, they are primarily for the SFX bracket, hardware brackets. In the prototype unit here is what I received:

3. I used some "okay"™ 120mm filters from amazon for my front intake. More research needs to be done here.

Thanks for this information.

I tried connected the cables per your suggestion and it didn't work for me. The backlight on the power button was illuminated dimly but no joy. Reversed the cables and the power button functions but not the LED.

Is the LED cable supposed to be for PWR LED or HDD LED? On my MoBo the PWR LED pins are not coupled so maybe I need an adapter?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I'm at work and I don't have a clear enough picture. I think I put mine for the HDD LED. I recall the LED flashing with disk usage. I'll take a pic when I get home in a few hours.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015

I tried connected the cables per your suggestion and it didn't work for me. The backlight on the power button was illuminated dimly but no joy. Reversed the cables and the power button functions but not the LED.

Is the LED cable supposed to be for PWR LED or HDD LED? On my MoBo the PWR LED pins are not coupled so maybe I need an adapter?

The red wire should be +3.0 V for the LED. It's your choice if you connect it to the Power LED or HDD LED pins on your motherboard. Most motherboards have the LED positive and ground pins beside each other. What motherboard do you have?

Edit: Oops. Changed "+ve" to "positive" and "-ve" to "ground", as it should have been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Thanks!

It's super quiet (w/ modified fan speed profile in bios) at idle and load. I cannot stand noise, which is why I usually do 100% H2O loops.

The CPU idles at 32c and hits max temp of 56c when gaming, 64c under stress.
GPU floats between 69/70c at max usage.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017

Here is exactly how I have mine set up, please excuse potato:

Red/Black on HDD, Black/White on PWR. If you super zoom with a microscope you can see where it says HDD and PWR.