Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Just got the case and finished assembling.
Here is my build:

i7 4770k
Asus Maximus VII Gene z97 mATX
Cooler Master Seidon 120XL Liquid Cooler (120mm Fan both sides of Radiator)
Asus ROG Strix 1080ti
Corsair AX860 ATX PSU
250gb/500gb Samsung evo 850 SSD

(sorry for bad lighting, I live in a college dorm)

Here are some size comparisons with my previous case (Corsair obsidian 350D)

Also does anyone know what the empty slot next to the PCIe Slots is for? Or am i missing something?

Loving this new case! I'm going to try moving some parts around to see if i can get better cooling/cable management. Will individual case parts be able to be purchased separately in the future?
Nice setup...and now question is...what about temperature and noise?...:)

Notorious

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2017
No, no, no noctua c14s is better than 120mm aio...but inferior to 240mm aio, especially inside a case.
In my personal setup, i tested noctua c14s with dual noctua 140ppc 2000rpm pwm...vs my apogee drive ii+h220 radiator+gentle typhoon, it is clearly behind on ryzen heavily oc..:)

However noctua c14s is perfect on ryzen with a vcore of 1.40v with dual 140mm fans...at maximum.

im probably going to go with a delidded i7-8700k. i'd like to overclock but id be fine with stock speeds depending on temperature.

ideally id like to go SLI with dual 240mm or 280mm rads, although one would be fine. if i go one im probably going to test push/pull with slim noctua fans vs push or pull with normal thickness noctua fans.

I'm just in the planning stages right now, since im waiting to go to CES 2018. just want to see if any new/better parts come out that i could use in this build. hopefully while im waiting you guys can post more build logs to give me better ideas.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Sptz

What's an ITX?
Dec 2, 2017
Will there never be stockists in EU/UK? I really want one but the shipping costs are nuts to the UK, plus import tax would rape me as well :/

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Unfortunately it looks like I will have to switch.

The NZXT base (x62/ x52) protrudes out from the motherboard too far -preventing the install of an ATX PSU.

An SFX PSU won't work as the TR motherboards require a PSU with dual EPS cables.

It's a game of Tetris that I am losing so far but now that I am starting to figure this stuff out, I think I can still manage to come out on top in the end.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Will there never be stockists in EU/UK? I really want one but the shipping costs are nuts to the UK, plus import tax would rape me as well :/

Same position here, I'd love a Cerberus-X for any future ATX builds I need.
But at almost $500 after shipping and Import duty, it's just not worth it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Same position here, I'd love a Cerberus-X for any future ATX builds I need.
But at almost $500 after shipping and Import duty, it's just not worth it.
I truly agree. Let’s hope with sff lab, it should help world wide sales.

Minimum is to allow usps delivery, that could lower importation taxes.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to switch.

The NZXT base (x62/ x52) protrudes out from the motherboard too far -preventing the install of an ATX PSU.

An SFX PSU won't work as the TR motherboards require a PSU with dual EPS cables.

It's a game of Tetris that I am losing so far but now that I am starting to figure this stuff out, I think I can still manage to come out on top in the end.
I’ve the feeling that you need custom loop.

But are you sure you need dual eps to be connected to work?

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Yea, it consumes too much power for just one EPS.

I have the parts to do a custom loop like my other rig but I don't have the desire anymore to buy a GPU block to include the GPU in a loop.

Ideally, I want to be able to quickly swap out the GPU to perform the GPU reviews when necessary -plus I would like to be able to upgrade the GPU more often without having to drain the loop and buy a new water block with each generation.

Even if I were to exclude the GPU in a custom loop, I would then have to find space to fit a pump (big fan of D5's) which opens up another can of worms. The AIO setups are ultimately just a matter of convenience.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017

I have the parts to do a custom loop like my other rig but I don't have the desire anymore to buy a GPU block to include the GPU in a loop.

Ideally, I want to be able to quickly swap out the GPU to perform the GPU reviews when necessary -plus I would like to be able to upgrade the GPU more often without having to drain the loop and buy a new water block with each generation.

Even if I were to exclude the GPU in a custom loop, I would then have to find space to fit a pump (big fan of D5's) which opens up another can of worms. The AIO setups are ultimately just a matter of convenience.
Could always buy a universal block

Or even alphacools then you'd just need a heatsink upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
@KSliger, any updates on Demciflex filters for Cerberus? Can you post a picture with dimensions for the bottom part. I want to know feets locations, so I can select appropriate filter. Thank you.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

I fully understand you...and that’s what exactly i’ve done with my setup.
Custom loop cooling both cpu and gpu, it’s such a pain to maintain or to update.

Ek mlc phoenix could be your savior, no?

Notorious

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2017

what about EKWB's new offering? its basically like an AIO/custom hybrid. pre-filled parts with quick disconnects

capt_rusty

Efficiency Noob
Nov 23, 2017
Hey all, here's my Cerberus build:

As you can see, mine was missing a cover for that back hole as well. Also, if anyone's curious, my motherboard, an Asrock H97M Pro 4, had space restrictions which meant I couldn't mount my Kraken x61 radiator on the bottom, so I had to switch to a Corsair H75. Overall though, the case has great fit and finish, and the extra space on my desk coming from a Define R5 is fantastic. The computer is a good bit louder than it was, but that isn't really surprising with the case and cpu cooler I had before - plus my H75 fans don't appear to be winding down, so I can't say for sure. Better still, my temps seem to be as good if not better than they were before, so I'm not going to complain about a little noise, especially when it's not actually all that loud, just comparatively so.

EDIT: Well I've confirmed that it was me and not the Cerberus that was causing the extra noise. For whatever reason, my "CPU Fan" speed was set to 100% in BIOS; changed it to "silent", and my computer is back to being whisper silent, with temperatures unaffected :thumb:

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey all, here's my Cerberus build:

As you can see, mine was missing a cover for that back hole as well. Also, if anyone's curious, my motherboard, an Asrock H97M Pro 4, had space restrictions which meant I couldn't mount my Kraken x61 radiator on the bottom, so I had to switch to a Corsair H75. Overall though, the case has great fit and finish, and the extra space on my desk coming from a Define R5 is fantastic. The computer is a good bit louder than it was, but that isn't really surprising with the case and cpu cooler I had before - plus my H75 fans don't appear to be winding down, so I can't say for sure. Better still, my temps seem to be as good if not better than they were before, so I'm not going to complain about a little noise, especially when it's not actually all that loud, just comparatively so.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

As i recommend, it’s better to go on 240mm rad on bottom..:)

Good point with cerberus is that you can redo all your setup easily..:) (i should be at around 7-8 setups already lol...and i’ve a new revision in mind lol..:))

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
As long as you use an ITX or mATX setup in the Cerberus-X, you shouldn't have a problem fitting a 280mm rad + standard fans on the bottom (like an NZXT x62 setup).

Note: The x62/x52 pump-over-processor solution, as RGB and awesome as it may be, is about 4mm too tall to mount an ATX PSU over it. If you go that route, be sure to pick up an SFX PSU instead (mounted at the rear with the optional adapter or at the front).

However, with an standard ATX board installed, the 280mm rad+fans will hit/block all the connecting i/o at the bottom of the motherboard. By my measurements, I could fit the 280mm rad but then I would have to scour the earth for some 10mm fans that would provide awful cooling so in the end it's just not worth it. Therefore, a 240mm rad is required (stress: 280mm won't work) at the bottom in this type of setup.

That being said, if you have a standard length GPU (as long as the width of an ATX Mobo itself) you shouldn't have any issues fitting the 280mm rad+25mm fans at the front (with an ATX-sized PSU at the rear obv).

For the best temps possible, this means it could comfortably fit a 240mm rad at the bottom and a 280mm rad at the front if you're planning a dual-rad setup.

I know this has all been stated before but I just wanted to reiterate as people are starting to get their cases.

With that out of the way, I'm done Tetris-ing for the day. I will report back once the replacement parts arrive.

Last edited:
Reactions: capt_rusty

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
Also does anyone know what the empty slot next to the PCIe Slots is for? Or am i missing something?

Dress panel with some airflow functionality. No vertical GPU plans in near term but certainly is possible with a bracket and flex riser set.

It should come with a cover, seems like cases are shipping missing a part if the cover isn't included! As KSliger said above, it could also be used for a vertical GPU mount like in some newer cases.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017

Since PSUs are all single rail these days, you could technically just get a custom cable and split dual EPS. I've been having ModDIY create my science projects... with great success. :)

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016

I'm in the same situation, so tired of having to buy new blocks, drain, and refill. Been on the fence about it for awhile but probably finally going to ditch my Compact Splash.

I have been eyeing the Cerberus-X for some time now and it's getting harder to resist! XD