Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
I currently have a micro-ATX build. I don't want to get the X then have to get a new motherboard as well. I'm also on the older Intel chipset, so I'd either drop another $50 bucks on getting an ATX board and being locked into a non-upgradeable chipset...

Or I jump into a new motherboard, which means a new CPU and... then I'm basically building a new computer.

Won't knock the X, I definitely see and feel the appeal. I just can't afford that many parts for my computer right now and it doesn't make sense to me to drop $80+ bucks just to get X over regular.

EDIT: May also interest people to compare Cerberus to a lot of common micro-ATX boards. The Fractal is my current case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

rifter

Caliper Novice
Oct 26, 2017
I currently have a micro-ATX build. I don't want to get the X then have to get a new motherboard as well. I'm also on the older Intel chipset, so I'd either drop another $50 bucks on getting an ATX board and being locked into a non-upgradeable chipset...

Or I jump into a new motherboard, which means a new CPU and... then I'm basically building a new computer.

Won't knock the X, I definitely see and feel the appeal. I just can't afford that many parts for my computer right now and it doesn't make sense to me to drop $80+ bucks just to get X over regular.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...tx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-128#post-62042

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Sorry for double post.

Found this quote after looking and it seems to confirm my fear that X does not support a micro-ATX board. Would still like confirmation on production models.

Cerb-X does not officially support mATX because it lacks standoffs for the bottom row. Other than that it fits just fine so you absolutely could use mATX if

1. You're willing to go without support along the bottom edge (you'd want to be careful to hold the board when pressing in PCI cards).

or

2. Just fit some self adhesive standoffs there.

The reason for their omission is the standoffs are pressed in so there isn't the possibility to interchange layouts with screw ins. Having the mATX standoffs would interfer with ATX boards defeating the primary purpose of the X.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry for double post.

Found this quote after looking and it seems to confirm my fear that X does not support a micro-ATX board. Would still like confirmation on production models.
Cerberus and Cerberus-x are using static stands for motherboard.

ATX and Mini ATX are sharing same stands location...howver, not micro ATX.
So i can confirm you that Cerberus-x is only compatible ATX and mini ITX...after you can always tweak/rework case...but i cannot advice/support it..:)

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Cerb-X does not officially support mATX because it lacks standoffs for the bottom row. Other than that it fits just fine so you absolutely could use mATX if

1. You're willing to go without support along the bottom edge (you'd want to be careful to hold the board when pressing in PCI cards).

or

2. Just fit some self adhesive standoffs there.

The reason for their omission is the standoffs are pressed in so there isn't the possibility to interchange layouts with screw ins. Having the mATX standoffs would interfer with ATX boards defeating the primary purpose of the X.

And I can always remove the self-adhesive standoffs later and swap to an ATX board in the future? If so, then that decides everything.

EDIT: Also, what height are the built-in stand offs?

Last edited:

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
And I can always remove the self-adhesive standoffs later and swap to an ATX board in the future? If so, then that decides everything.

EDIT: Also, what height are the built-in stand offs?

Correct. ATX and microATX share the same hole positions for the top and middle rows and these are populated in Cerb-X.

(note, miniATX is totally different, but no one uses that anyway. I mention just to distinguish I'm talk mATX = microATX that the regular Cerb is optimized for).

Yes, just remove or trim the adhesive ones and you're good to go with ATX.

I don't recall the heights other than they're shorter than typical ones in supplied with peasant cases. Might be 4mm?

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Thanks for playing Million Questions with me. Went with the X in the end. Just need to order stand offs, once I can confirm the correct size. Total was under $300 with a few options and after shipping. Very excited.

Thanks so much!

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
USPS is the US's national postal carrier. They will transport as far as your nation's customs border, where it will be handed over to a local carrier. E.g. for the UK, it will be handed over to Royal Mail (our national postal carrier).
Because there is a handoff at Customs rather than the courier handling Customs clearance themselves, there is often the chance that it will get passed through customs without charge. With UPS/Fedex, they will charge you every time, and charge you extra for them to charge you (the infamous 'processing fee'). Whether it is worth the extra cost depends on your local carrier: UPS/Fedex over here are masters at ringing the bell, pushing the 'sorry you were out' notice through at the same time, and sprinting for the van; while Royal Mail usually will actually make an attempt at delivering packages.

I see, thanks! Did not know that :) But our local postal carrier is really garbage, their favorite claim is "What package?" and if they know, what you want, they usually "lost" it for several weeks and then suddenly give you a notification "you did not receive your package, fuck off". So over all, getting the Cerberus is more important for me than the price, so I chose the FedEx - they try and usually deliver in here (it is weird it is completely opposite than in US).

phazeshifta

Cable Smoosher
Nov 23, 2017
I've only gone through about 75 pages of this thread so far and haven't seen this answered...

What thickness of fans can I mount between the front panel and case? Will a full 25mm fan fit?

I'm looking to do a Cerebrus X build with front and bottom radiators and being able to fit full size fans on that front part of the case may lead me to buying the case right now.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for playing Million Questions with me. Went with the X in the end. Just need to order stand offs, once I can confirm the correct size. Total was under $300 with a few options and after shipping. Very excited.

Thanks so much!
That’s the best choice as you can easily tweak missing standoff..:)

Hope you will enjoy it as i’m enjoying mine..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've only gone through about 75 pages of this thread so far and haven't seen this answered...

What thickness of fans can I mount between the front panel and case? Will a full 25mm fan fit?

I'm looking to do a Cerebrus X build with front and bottom radiators and being able to fit full size fans on that front part of the case may lead me to buying the case right now.
Total depth of cerberus/cerberus-x is 329mm.
You need to populate gpu and front fan...so you can fit easily a gpu with a depth of 300 mm and a 25mm fan.

phazeshifta

Cable Smoosher
Nov 23, 2017
Total depth of cerberus/cerberus-x is 329mm.
You need to populate gpu and front fan...so you can fit easily a gpu with a depth of 300 mm and a 25mm fan.

Thanks for the answer, but that's not what I'm asking.

I'm asking the thickness of fans I can fit between the front panel and the front of the case, or if fans can even fit in that section. Slim fans should fit for sure from the pics I've seen, but I haven't seen any configurations with fans mounted between the panel and front of case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
People having trouble ordering through PayPal with the error about choosing a Shipping Method:

Use "other" payments, fill out your details, choose PayPal / Credit Card when asked again and it will work. It did for me !

USPS is the US's national postal carrier. They will transport as far as your nation's customs border, where it will be handed over to a local carrier. E.g. for the UK, it will be handed over to Royal Mail (our national postal carrier).
Because there is a handoff at Customs rather than the courier handling Customs clearance themselves, there is often the chance that it will get passed through customs without charge. With UPS/Fedex, they will charge you every time, and charge you extra for them to charge you (the infamous 'processing fee'). Whether it is worth the extra cost depends on your local carrier: UPS/Fedex over here are masters at ringing the bell, pushing the 'sorry you were out' notice through at the same time, and sprinting for the van; while Royal Mail usually will actually make an attempt at delivering packages.
I've had multiple bad experiences with USPS, all were stuck in Belgian customs limbo for 4 to 6 weeks because I used USPS. In the end, they always needed proof of purchase, followed by proof of payment.

Most of the times I'd have to inquire myself with them why my package was not moving from their depot for a week, to find out they were waiting on me to send the missing documents. Which I can only find out by calling them why it's not shipping in the first place...
Even if I proceeded swiftly, it could still take weeks for them to "process" this. I've come to accept that the Belgian customs are the essence of bureacuracy.

I've choosen FedEx Economy without a moment's hesitation. They have their own customs declarations officers that actually seem to be able to handle their job.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I'm very excited for the Cerberus, but I won't be able to purchase one for me anytime soon. But seeing how well the sales are going (cheers!) I expect to be able to get one someday in the following years.

It's currently $83.15 to ship to Brazil. I hope it gets cheaper in the future. And I also hope people from Brazil do not get discouraged by the super high importation taxes.

In the shopping page I couldn't find any mention on the CPU height limitation. On the old Kimera webpage it's written as 148mm, is it still the same for the final product? I'm very inclined to trying to fit a NoFan CR-95 inside one.

I can't wait to see the forum getting flood with pictures and build logs of Cerberus cases! :D

Reactions: Commissariat

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017

I'm asking the thickness of fans I can fit between the front panel and the front of the case, or if fans can even fit in that section. Slim fans should fit for sure from the pics I've seen, but I haven't seen any configurations with fans mounted between the panel and front of case.

If you check Marcparis build log he has examples of using 15mm fans on the front panel.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm very excited for the Cerberus, but I won't be able to purchase one for me anytime soon. But seeing how well the sales are going (cheers!) I expect to be able to get one someday in the following years.

It's currently $83.15 to ship to Brazil. I hope it gets cheaper in the future. And I also hope people from Brazil do not get discouraged by the super high importation taxes.

In the shopping page I couldn't find any mention on the CPU height limitation. On the old Kimera webpage it's written as 148mm, is it still the same for the final product? I'm very inclined to trying to fit a NoFan CR-95 inside one.

I can't wait to see the forum getting flood with pictures and build logs of Cerberus cases! :D
Cpu clearance is remaining the same as original cerberus description.
However ki managed to create a rear psu bracket for sfx psu that maximising cpu cooler clearence to 74mm approx. I need to test it for sure..:)

Sorry, end of busy day work..:)
As @Ubermarshall already stated i tried to put 15mm noctua 120mm fan behind front cover, and it’s working fine as intake.