Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Wouldn't even have to be a standoff. Their press-fit nuts are only like 2mm thick total, which would be enough thread engagement for the standoffs.
Main reason for using a 4mm PEM standoff is it matches the 4mm threaded portion on the removable standoff (which is about as short as they get). This means the standoff won't extend out through the back of the motherboard tray at all, which is important if you no/marginal clearance between the tray and the side panel.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Ah true, didn't think about that. There is a little space there in the Cerberus, IIRC, but it's only the panel thickness of the frame, which is less than 2mm.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The current prototype actually uses PEMSERT nuts that are installed backwards, with the body of the nut on the inside of the motherboard tray. So that gives enough clearance for the male threads on the custom-made standoffs.

The problem is the female threads have really short depth so they require really short screws and there's barely any thread engagement for the motherboard screws. It's #6-32 so using M3 would be marginally better but I'm not happy with hack which is why I switched the production version to fixed standoffs even though it doesn't technically comply with the microATX standard.

bacara1225

Efficiency Noob
Sep 29, 2016
I'm very glad to know cerberus. It's so compact and cool case ever i seen. I have 2 questions.

1. Can i meet this case soon? (maybe in this year?)

2. I'm living in Korea. Can i receive this case in Korea?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
One problem with it is that there isn't room for threaded standoffs so they're fixed standoffs, which means microATX boards aren't correctly supported in Cerberus-X, the bottom two standoff positions will be missing.

Well, it's not like an mATX board in an ATX Cerberus would yield any benefits over ATX I reckon, unless you would be transplanting mATX hardware over. And even then it should still not be worrying since the really tight connectors like the 24-pin and 8-pin are never on that bottom row. And there were only one or two boards with proper SLI support on the bottom PCIe slot.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm very glad to know cerberus. It's so compact and cool case ever i seen. I have 2 questions.

1. Can i meet this case soon? (maybe in this year?)

2. I'm living in Korea. Can i receive this case in Korea?

Welcome to the forum!

1: We do not have a solid timetable yet.

2: We will ship internationally

Well, it's not like an mATX board in an ATX Cerberus would yield any benefits over ATX I reckon

The main reason I can think of is to have more room for thick radiators on the bottom of the case.

Tyki

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2016
I'm glad this case is becoming a reality. I honestly think the main market for this niche case is obviously the enthusiast, and as such, I kind of wish there was more talk about water cooling support on the main post here, and even the main page.

While I personally am not in the market for this, I know that when this case reaches Linus (...this will happen... right?), he could just cookie cutter put in all of the parts, but I think it would be reaching the full potential of having such a small SLI enclosure if it highlighted custom loop compatibility. Most enthusiasts would be unhappy with going dual founders edition I feel due to noise, so really showcasing that perfect, small, SFF SLI build with a custom loop I think it what will sell this case.

Reactions: Commissariat

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The main reason I can think of is to have more room for thick radiators on the bottom of the case.
Hmm that's a fair point. Would it help if 120mm fans and a 120mm wide radiator was used, but offset away from the motherboard ? Although there will probably be ports that needed accessing, most connectors have 90-degree angled connectors or could maybe fit in a tight spot anyway.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I kind of wish there was more talk about water cooling support on the main post here, and even the main page.

Welcome to the forum! A custom loop is possible with careful selection of parts, but it's not the primary design goal of Cerberus unlike Project mATX or the Compact Splash.

I know that when this case reaches Linus (...this will happen... right?)

I can neither confirm nor deny ;)

Would it help if 120mm fans and a 120mm wide radiator was used, but offset away from the motherboard ?

120mm wide rads are much easier to fit but the thickness of the combined rad+fan is still limited before it runs into the bottom card in a dual-GPU setup in Cerberus.

Reactions: Commissariat

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Gordian Solution for those lower three mATX-only mounting holes: Adhesive standoffs. Not elegant, but they're cheap enough that a handful can be thrown in with the case, and their only real purpose is the support the bottom of the board when inserting cards into the lower PCIe slots (ground plane linking accomplished by the other regular standoffs).

Reactions: jeshikat and Phuncz

vpr

Cable Smoosher
Apr 2, 2016
Been following this case for a long long time, and while I WANT to downsize (ATX -> mATX) as you said, the mATX motherboard market has been all but forgotten at this point which is a shame. ITX is an option, but the NCASE M1 already exists for that, with new contenders coming out seemingly monthly recently. So, it seems futile to move Cerberus to ITX. I think Cerberus-X still has some uniqueness to it (build materials, still extremely small [for an ATX], and it's internal design geared towards the enthusiast [but not exclusively]) which could make it shine while the motherboard market being infinitely more exciting, and varied in the ATX segment. Providing people with *gasp* choices!

So, to sum it up, I support the move to ATX. Although, I'm disappointed in the motherboard industry for even making us consider this. It really is a chicken and egg problem though.

Reactions: Roger

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
If I look at my situation, which has an Ncase M1 v1 in it and am willing to go for an mATX or ATX Cerberus prototype, I can't see myself doing the same for mITX as I feel the Ncase M1 is such a good case with that layout. Although the Cerberus would be more interesting due to the steel frame, infinivents and color options, I can't see myself buying a new case just for those. Maybe if it would cost me $100, but to get it at my doorstep, I'm looking at multiples of that.

If anything, if I need another mITX case, I'd look at more specific projects like the S4 Mini or the LZ7, to name but a few of the many stunning case projects this forum alone has shown me.

My vote for Cerberus or Cerberus X is also for the ATX version, although mATX still has plenty viable builds, just not the amount of choices I'd wish I'd have.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

Tyki

Chassis Packer
Sep 29, 2016
I feel like we should wait to see how the mATX Z270 and AM4+ lineup looks, if any exist before choosing which way to go. We might get a great selection people want to go for, we might get nothing.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
The ATX version is just a thought experiment at this point, right...right?

I've got about 30 mm of height to spare. Another 61 mm to fit in an ATX board and I have to back out on buying Cerberus, much less 2 of them.

Mike

Efficiency Noob
Mar 5, 2016
I think I could go for an ATX version too :)! Just curious what a single prototype case would be estimated to cost if it doesn't happen.