Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, after all my content about Cerberus-X I decided to rework a lot my first message in order to make it fit (limits of 100 images and 50k words are true constraints in this specific case).

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...cerberus-x-complete-build-log.2007/post-43877

I really enjoyed revising it...and it became obvious that I will need to make a clear & clean summary of Cerberus-X cooling setups in the near future...;)

Once again thanks again for all the readers & supporters on this thread!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
New to SFF. (Brief history: went away from PC gaming and did consoles+mac and now I'm back running my new Cerberus X with PopOS Linux for gaming).

My setup:
Case: Cerberus-X with window panel.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: AMD Prism RGB cooler (friend didn't want it)
Mobo: Asus Strix B450F
GfxCard: EVGA 1080 FTW
PSU: Corsair SF600 (in front position)
Storage: M.2 SSD
Cooling: In the bottom of the case I have a single NF-S12A PWM chromax intake fan.

Newb questions:

PSU
1. Could I run the SF600 reversed with the logo facing the window? This would result in the powersupply sucking up internal case air, how bad is that? (Alternatively: Is there a magnetic/decorative cover I could get to clean up the specifications side of the SF600?)
2. The SF600 combined with the internal power cord point the right-angle towards the outside of the case which causes a bend. I've considered a right angle, connector to reverse the right angle: https://www.newegg.com/tekit-right-angled-iec-adapter-up-angled-iec-320-c14-to-c13-adapter-for-lcd-wall-mount-tv/p/2VH-0003-00009?Description=C13 right angle&cm_re=C13_right_angle-_-9SIA50M6CA2914-_-Product Has anyone tried something like this?
3. Where are people getting braided cables to fit the SF600 and Cerberus X? I would need a relatively long 12V CPU connector but a fairly short motherboard connector. Has anyone ordered custom length cables, that can speak to good lengths to purchase? Also what sites are the ones to order from?

Cooling:
Linux does not allow me to control the fan curves very well. The Asus BIOS also does not let me control the fans very well. The problem is that the CPU fan spikes up loudly often. I am considering adding some more fans to hopefully move air into and out of the case to hopefully mitigate this.
1. Add another 120mm Noctua to the existing bottom of the case?
2. Add a 92mm Noctua to the rear?
3. Both 1 and 2?

Thank you in advance for any and all input you can provide.
Sorry for late answer...my bad.

For SF600, it’s completely possible to have its fan sucking air from inside. True issue of this psu is simply its fan and its management. Best mod is to replace it by noctua nf-a9x14..:)
For power cord, be careful of angled version. I used one at early stage of my build (before serial production) and it was preventing to close top cover. Keep using power extension provided with Cerberus.

For your cpu cooling. Your issue is coming from your Prism...it’s a good cooler but it tends to make fan spin fast (check review of is-60 here)

I propose you this kind of airflow and cpu cooler :
  • Rear 92mmx25 as intake
  • Cpu cooler tower style, like noctua nh-u9s/d9l or cryorig c7 quad lumi or scythe fuma-b (not rev 2)
  • Top 120mm slim fan as exhaust
  • PSU with fan from inside
Let me know what you think about that..:)

Reactions: sn0man

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Sorry for late answer...my bad.

For SF600, it’s completely possible to have its fan sucking air from inside. True issue of this psu is simply its fan and its management. Best mod is to replace it by noctua nf-a9x14..:)
For power cord, be careful of angled version. I used one at early stage of my build (before serial production) and it was preventing to close top cover. Keep using power extension provided with Cerberus.

For your cpu cooling. Your issue is coming from your Prism...it’s a good cooler but it tends to make fan spin fast (check review of is-60 here)

I propose you this kind of airflow and cpu cooler :
  • Rear 92mmx25 as intake
  • Cpu cooler tower style, like noctua nh-u9s/d9l or cryorig c7 quad lumi or scythe fuma-b (not rev 2)
  • Top 120mm slim fan as exhaust
  • PSU with fan from inside
Let me know what you think about that..:)

I like it so far. (Thanks for advice!!!) I am going to try and help airflow without swapping the Prism first (it'll probably be a futile effort. My spouse's rig is running a sweet setup with a Noctua CPU fan (and it's quite quiet)).

Here is how it sets right now.

Here are my thoughts on fans:
1.) Considering a 92mmx15 on the back as an intake, but that might not move enough air. Do you think I should skip straight to the 92x25?
2.) definitely go w/ top 120 slim as exhaust
3.) What about adding another 120mm as an exhaust for the front? That way the heat of the gfx card has somewhere to go, especially with an inverted SF600. I'd have an intake on the bottom and an exhaust on the front.

Cables:
1.) Ok i'll skip the right-angle connector. As far as the existing angled cable. Is there a "left-angle" or essentially a 90 degree that is opposite to the direction of the existing one? I'm putting a severe bend into the cable with the SF600.
2.) Have you seen anyone order a specific length of custom cables for this build? Would be beneficial for removing clutter and getting a better air path.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I like it so far. (Thanks for advice!!!) I am going to try and help airflow without swapping the Prism first (it'll probably be a futile effort. My spouse's rig is running a sweet setup with a Noctua CPU fan (and it's quite quiet)).

Here is how it sets right now.

Here are my thoughts on fans:
1.) Considering a 92mmx15 on the back as an intake, but that might not move enough air. Do you think I should skip straight to the 92x25?
2.) definitely go w/ top 120 slim as exhaust
3.) What about adding another 120mm as an exhaust for the front? That way the heat of the gfx card has somewhere to go, especially with an inverted SF600. I'd have an intake on the bottom and an exhaust on the front.

Cables:
1.) Ok i'll skip the right-angle connector. As far as the existing angled cable. Is there a "left-angle" or essentially a 90 degree that is opposite to the direction of the existing one? I'm putting a severe bend into the cable with the SF600.
2.) Have you seen anyone order a specific length of custom cables for this build? Would be beneficial for removing clutter and getting a better air path.
As you mentionned, fan control by bios could be limited.
Asus is imposing cpu temperature limit of 70°C by default, that can extended to 75°C...leading to fan spinning at 100% when CPU is reaching 75°C.

Please make sure you adjust properlly your fan curve in Q-Fan.

In terms of cooling :
  1. As rear intake fan, Slim nf-a9x14 is ok to be honest.
  2. Definitely a must have..;)
  3. I guess it won't be useful. By experience, your bottom fan is pushing all hot air in CPU area. I assume front exhaust fan will even decrease performance of bottom fan.
For power extension, I don't remind any specific mod on it.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Alright, looking for some advice on the Cerberus...

3900X CPU / Crosshair VIII Impact mobo / 5700 XT 50AE GPU / 64 GB RAM (trash Samsung M-die)

Fractal Design Celsius S24 on CPU with stock fans...

Morpheus II heat sink on GPU with single Noctua NF-F12 on front panel below PSU & attached to the GPU fan header...

No fans attached to Morpheus II heat sink at all (yeah, I know, I was not thinking right), not enough room (unaware of EK 120x38 fans at the time, might have tried those, might still try those)...

Got low profile copper heat sinks for the RAM on the GPU, but they sucked and acted more as a heat soak, causing thermal throttling pretty quickly...

Moved rig to a temp chassis, NZXT H510 I think...? Huge, but contains the Four Slot Beast that a Morpheus II & 25mm thick fans creates (and those fans really helped with the GPU temps, Big Duh)...

SO...! I still want to use my Cerberus...

I might just try the 38mm thick EK fans, pulling thru the bottom mounted AIO & feeding directly thru the Morpheus II heat sink (with the 120x25 front intake attached to the GPU fan header)...

Exhaust is rear Noctua NF-A9 & top Noctua NF-A12x15...

That would be a short term, but I really want to do a custom loop...

So (...fraking finally dude, get to any point, would ya...?!?) the question is, what temps might one expect to see with the above listed hardware & the following cooling gear...?

CPU & GPU both under water (full cover block on GPU), 280x45 radiator with two 140x25 fans intaking from the bottom of the chassis, 92x25 intake on front panel (below PSU), and same exhaust as covered above...

I would mount a D5 pump / reservoir combo on the motherboard tray, between the mobo & the PSU...

With a 70mm thick rad / fan stack, there would probably be about 30mm or so between the top of the cooling stack & the GPU water block, that should be sufficient for proper airflow around & up, yeah...?

A lot to wade thru, thanks for any advise folks...!

Oh, and thinking of using the J-Hack 2427 wiring harness & optional cables to make that all more streamlined...!
What are you looking for your Cerberus build?
comparing with your current setup temperature should be slightly higher. Morpheus gpu cooler is really good.

I just cannot keep the GPU RAM cool enough, after a good bit of gaming it is thermal throttling with the GPU RAM around 104 to 106 degrees F...
So I want to throw it all under water, full custom loop, similar to this...

But I would place the pump/res vertically & plumb the blocks in parallel...
I would also have a 92x25mm exhaust on the back, and a 120x15mm exhaust on the top...
Intake would be two 140x25mm fans on the bottom (on the rad), and depending on what might fit, a 92mm or 120mm intake on the front, thick or slim, whichever fits best...
Pump/res combo hooked to Water Pump header on mobo, radiator fans hooked to CPU Fan header on mobo, & front/rear/top fans hooked to Chassis Fan header on mobo...

Thoughts...?

si_death

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2019
Hello all, much thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far. I got my arctic freezer installed and just waiting on gpu. My question is, is it overkill to add a slim fan to the part of the case that swings out? So next to the psu in the back of the case basically. I’d have two fans in the bottom , two in the front by the aio radiator and then one on top .

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I just cannot keep the GPU RAM cool enough, after a good bit of gaming it is thermal throttling with the GPU RAM around 104 to 106 degrees F...
So I want to throw it all under water, full custom loop, similar to this...

But I would place the pump/res vertically & plumb the blocks in parallel...
I would also have a 92x25mm exhaust on the back, and a 120x15mm exhaust on the top...
Intake would be two 140x25mm fans on the bottom (on the rad), and depending on what might fit, a 92mm or 120mm intake on the front, thick or slim, whichever fits best...
Pump/res combo hooked to Water Pump header on mobo, radiator fans hooked to CPU Fan header on mobo, & front/rear/top fans hooked to Chassis Fan header on mobo...

Thoughts...?
Well based on my personal experience, having CPU and GPU on same loop is not that great in terms of cooling. Basically one component will warm other one.
I must admit that shared setup is beautiful.

If I were you I will create 2 loops, one for CPU and one for GPU.
For CPU, I will go either for rear 92mm thick (54mm) radiator (keeping sfx psu at front) either front 240mm slim or 120/140 thick radiator (with sfx psu on rear).
For GPU I will go for Alphacool Eiswolf with 240mm radiator at bottom.
Exhaust will be on side (if vented panel) or/and top.

Hello all, much thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far. I got my arctic freezer installed and just waiting on gpu. My question is, is it overkill to add a slim fan to the part of the case that swings out? So next to the psu in the back of the case basically. I’d have two fans in the bottom , two in the front by the aio radiator and then one on top .
Sorry I didn't catch your proposal..:D

si_death

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2019
Well based on my personal experience, having CPU and GPU on same loop is not that great in terms of cooling. Basically one component will warm other one.

If I were you I will create 2 loops, one for CPU and one for GPU.
For CPU, I will go either for rear 92mm thick (54mm) radiator (keeping sfx psu at front) either front 240mm slim or 120/140 thick radiator (with sfx psu on rear).
For GPU I will go for Alphacool Eiswolf with 240mm radiator at bottom.
Exhaust will be on side (if vented panel) or/and top.

Sorry I didn't catch your proposal..:D

So basically I have the corsair sf750 in the back of the case by the mobo IO. I believe I have some space to the right on the part of the case bracket that can swing/swivel out. So I was thinking maybe adding a fan there, since it would be right by the vents of the case.

si_death

Cable Smoosher
Oct 3, 2019
So basically I have the corsair sf750 in the back of the case by the mobo IO. I believe I have some space to the right on the part of the case bracket that can swing/swivel out. So I was thinking maybe adding a fan there, since it would be right by the vents of the case.

Imagine where that hard drive is, instead it would be a slim fan. does it make sense??

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

That is why I specified the water blocks being run in parallel, rather than in series, so both blocks receive the same temp water at the same time, rather than one after the other...

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Got it.
It will definitely help exhaust of hot air.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
That is why I specified the water blocks being run in parallel, rather than in series, so both blocks receive the same temp water at the same time, rather than one after the other...
Well not really.
Even in serial water temperature is almost equal on the whole loop.
Issue will remain as root cause will be related to heat generated by gpu.

Jays2cents demonstrated in recent years, again..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis how is the testing going for the 645lt in your Cerberus?

Well it was working so well that I decided to try to upgrade it using best 92mm radiator in a customed loop..:)

Check my full review below :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...erberus-x-complete-build-log.2007/post-180800

Like Noctua C14S in exhaust mode this 92mm watercooling cpu cooling solution is leading best GPU temperature & noise..:D (I guess it should one of the best cpu cooling solution with windowed panel)
I'm cooling up to 125w cpu (overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125 + FCLK @1900Mhz)
My main issue was pump noise at idle/low load. I managed to tame it by undervolting it to 5V (using Asus Fan Xpert 4)

If you have any question, please me know

Reactions: Uruk

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
I didn’t see that you updated your build post, but those are some great results. I think I’ll buy a 645 lt and swap out my Kraken x52. My 2080ti gets pretty toasty with my aio on the bottom. How did you secure the thicker 92mm fan to the radiator on the 645lt? Also, how many wires are on the aio?

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I didn’t see that you updated your build post, but those are some great results. I think I’ll buy a 645 lt and swap out my Kraken x52. My 2080ti gets pretty toasty with my aio on the bottom. How did you secure the thicker 92mm fan to the radiator on the 645lt? Also, how many wires are on the aio?
Asetek 645LT is using 6-32 screws. I used same 30mm screws I was using on my swiftest radiator.
Asetek 645LT has only a 3pins...it will be a BIG change vs kraken..:) However you need to have a motherboard to control device through DC.
You can also undervolt at 5v with no performance drop as loop is pretty short.

edit what is your cpu?

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Asetek 645LT is using 6-32 screws. I used same 30mm screws I was using on my swiftest radiator.
Asetek 645LT has only a 3pins...it will be a BIG change vs kraken..:) However you need to have a motherboard to control device through DC.
You can also undervolt at 5v with no performance drop as loop is pretty short.

edit what is your cpu?
I’m using a 2700 overclocked to 4ghz at 1.3v. My motherboard is an ASUS x470-f.