Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

zugok

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2019
www.artistebot.com
I guess not.
I’m very pleased with my front psu..:)

My current wonder is how a 92mm watercooling is handling a r9 3900x/3950x inside Cerberus-X. I’m convinced it should be ok for stock.
My concern is that most of 92mm watercooling (645LT) is mostly used in too crammed cases like Dan A4 or Sm series, where 645LT is far from its optimal performance..:)

I had read that the 3950X runs cooler than the 3900X, need less watts. At least a stock? Maybe I am wrong?

Reactions: LegendsofMace

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watercooling 92mm inside Cerberus-X : Pushing the limit (Update of 29th January 2020)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(It's just a sum up, please check link above to have more details)

I decided to test push/pull on my 92mm watercooling setup.

As first note, NEVER USE NF-A9x14 as PULL against a too obtructive surface. Grid for Asetek 645LT or Grid from Corsair PSU are completely OK.

Finally I used good old Noctua NF-B9 Redux fan...not the best fan choice for radiator, but it could work. I also used only 2 screws for each fan...not a big issue. And it worked as intended! No excessive noise..:D

I got 4°C of improvment!! My Ryzen 7 3800X overclocked to 4.3Ghz @1,3125v was sitting at 78°C maximum on Intel Burn Test 2.54 (Very High profile) (vs 82°C with 1 fan in pull)

Overall my 92mm watercooling experience is really positive, even better than my expectations. It also just reminded me AIO influence on watercooling market with their 240mm slim & aluminium radiator whereas a double row & copper120mm radiator in push/pull can easily do the job...:D
Here is a picture of one of my previous setups (late 2009, Core i7 920 OC 4Ghz + 2xGTX 285 fully loaded on Folding@home...just cooled with 2x120mm double row radiator, one in push-pull and one in push on Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm)

Now I'm sure even R9 3900X or 3950X could be easily cooled by 92mm watercooling...:D

Guess who is happy now, as he can lay peacefully on Cerberus-X?...:D

Last edited:

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Hey sn0man, thanks for the feedback.

My process for 3D printed parts is
  1. Usually start with a quick doodle, some measurements for clearances via calipers & rulers.
  2. Build the 3D mesh in Modo with the Dimensions Tool active.
  3. Export and 3D print.
  4. Sometimes do minor adjustments and reprint depending upon the issue.
As per your suggestions:
#1 Seems simple to make, assuming you don't use the full front for fans like I have? Would not a metal bracket from the hardware store also work?
#2 This is an interesting idea and I will give it more thought. I think you are correct that airflow might be very restricted using the stock front cover and result in noticeable air noise? With the front cover in place you might not need a full duct. Never the less, a more practical consideration might be a replacement front cover that allows for better airflow and has the duct built in?

Cheers

JH

Great idea JH! I think I may do a metal bracket from Menards or Homedepot. I'll likely go today after work and take a look around.

Yeah I'm fairly convinced #2 wouldn't be the best but it was just an idea looking at how the CX front looks. I potentially like the idea of a front, however, the issue to me is that I presume 3d Printing doesn't look as good as the clean front.

Regardless, I'd be quite interested in a front-panel audio bracket once you get there. One slight deficiency for me is having to reach the back of the case to plug in headphones. Not a huge issue as the case is so short but an annoyance nonetheless.

Reactions: zugok

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I think I found the Cerberus Mini, check out this reddit post.

Bump the volume to allow a four slot GPU (which would be a GPU with a Morpheus II heatsink & dual Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans), in inverted motherboard mode this would have the GPU exhausting straight out the top of the chassis...

SFX PSU front-mounted like the current Cerebus (fan intaking from the front panel), with an A12x25 fan above that, also as intake...

Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler; fits the chassis specs, offers D15S performance in a smaller package, killer Sterrox fans...!

Dual Noctua NF-A8 PWM fans over motherboard rear I/O shield, set to exhaust (probably not really needed, as the dual A12x25s on the U12A should push plenty of air out the back?)...

Room for a second set of A12x25s on the bottom of the chassis, set to intake...

The 'gap' between the front-mounted PSU & the motherboard could have a 2.5" drive mount, with a set of brackets similar to what one gets with the NCase M1, to allow stacking two 2.5" drives...

Even without these changes, this chassis is very compelling, @Sligerjack , any trade-in program for my Slate Grey Cerebus...?!? ;^p

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
More thoughts RE: Cerebus Mini...

From looking at all the renders, I am guessing the PSU power-in point is going to be like the Cerebus & share space on the rear exhaust...? This would preclude dual 80mm fans, so a single 92mm fan (as is currently on the Cerebus / Cerebus X)...?

I think the Noctua NH-U12A is going to be the best air-cooled solution for the Mini, should have the most compatibility with the current crop of mITX / mDTX mobos & offers superb cooling capabilities...

The idea for mounting a SFX PSU like in the new(ish) Lian Li TU150 chassis would allow for a front 140x25mm intake fan...! Cable bulk could be greatly reduced here by using the JHack 2427 system with an appropriate Corsair SF-series SFX PSU...

@Sligerjack , please consider allowing enough room for 4 PCI slots of GPU space (NOT four physical slots), just increasing the portion between the third slot & the chassis bottom about 6mm or so...? This would allow a Morpheus II heat sink with a pair of Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, and allow more than enough room for an Accelero III / IV & dual 25mm thick fans as another enthusiast GPU air-cooling option......

TL;DR - How to get Big Air

TU150 style SFX PSU mounting
140x25mm front intake fan
Four PCI slots worth of room for GPU (and any aftermarket heat sink solutions)

This is the configuration I would go with for a Big Air build...!

Reactions: Prothea

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
RE: RE: Cerebus Mini

But I would be totally fine with this:

With a Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler & a (hopefully) hybrid 5900 XT w/ 120mm AIO...

And a slim 120mm fan over the mobo, and a handle...

(maybe flip the PSU so it intakes from the side panel, and assuming Infinite Vents, one could mount a couple of 92mm intake fans up front?)

Last edited:

matthewn4444

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2018
I'm currently exhausting heat from the bottom of the case, does anyone know of taller feet I could replace with the original feet in this case besides using risers?

vpri

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2018
@KSliger Is there any possibility to have a custom front panel with more depth and perforated? I'd like to place 2 x 120mm noctua fans for the radiator in that area, and have more airflow to cool the CPU. Is this something that could be done somehow?

sebablokmaster

What's an ITX?
Feb 10, 2020
Watercooling 92mm inside Cerberus-X : Pushing the limit (Update of 29th January 2020)
(It's just a sum up, please check link above to have more details)

I decided to test push/pull on my 92mm watercooling setup.

As first note, NEVER USE NF-A9x14 as PULL against a too obtructive surface. Grid for Asetek 645LT or Grid from Corsair PSU are completely OK.

Finally I used good old Noctua NF-B9 Redux fan...not the best fan choice for radiator, but it could work. I also used only 2 screws for each fan...not a big issue. And it worked as intended! No excessive noise..:D

I got 4°C of improvment!! My Ryzen 7 3800X overclocked to 4.3Ghz @1,3125v was sitting at 78°C maximum on Intel Burn Test 2.54 (Very High profile) (vs 82°C with 1 fan in pull)

Overall my 92mm watercooling experience is really positive, even better than my expectations. It also just reminded me AIO influence on watercooling market with their 240mm slim & aluminium radiator whereas a double row & copper120mm radiator in push/pull auto clicker can easily do the job...:D
Here is a picture of one of my previous setups (late 2009, Core i7 920 OC 4Ghz + 2xGTX 285 fully loaded on Folding@home...just cooled with 2x120mm double row radiator, one in push-pull and one in push on Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm)

Now I'm sure even R9 3900X or 3950X could be easily cooled by 92mm watercooling...:D

Guess who is happy now, as he can lay peacefully on Cerberus-X?...:D

Have you seen anyone order a specific length of custom cables for this build? Would be beneficial for removing clutter and getting a better air path.

Last edited:
Reactions: sn0man

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Have you seen anyone order a specific length of custom cables for this build? Would be beneficial for removing clutter and getting a better air path.
Basically you don't need custom cables length to optimize airflow at all in this specific Cerberus-X setup. It will be only useful for esthetics.

sebablokmaster: I like you would like to know some custom cable lengths. If you order them soon then please post your experience with ordering custom lengths. If you don't then I will likely order them in the next 6 months (it's getting warm outside so this will live as is for a bit).

Even if MarcParis is right (he usually is) I agree that I would prefer something that doesn't just leave a huge length of cables laying around in the front of the case.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MarcParis

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
@KSliger have you ever considered an offset top 120mm bracket for the handle? My thinking is that if the top bracket was offset away from the motherboard you could have a better chance at running a 120x25mm top fan with various motherboards. Just a thought. Even though I already have a fan bracket I'd buy an offset one.