Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
May 27, 2016
I'm growing increasingly interested in this option the more I consider going with a 1070 SLI setup... if you can get the case production to line up with market availability of the newest GPUs, I could see you selling a few cases.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
if you can get the case production to line up with market availability of the newest GPUs, I could see you selling a few cases.

Unfortunately production won't line up with the new GPUs releases at this point but hopefully we can capture those building or upgrading for the holiday season.

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
So, I know i'm a bit late, however I'm wondering a few things. My build is making me sorta angry right now so I wanna build a new one with this case. (it crashed and wont boot at all)

Will the SFX-L support the ATX bracket for PSU's? or will I have to put it in front?

I'm planning everything out right now, except GPU wise. I'm thinking dual nano's, but if a 1070 mini-itx version gets released (or AMD's next generation is tiny again), what will be the optimal radiator size for a water cooled sli of that? slim or mid? and I'm sure dual 240's would be plenty to cool it but I'm wondering if I can fit the mid, should I?

and do you think I could mod the hdd brackets so they can attach to a pci-e slot above a GPU? (GPU in 2nd and 3rd pci-e x16 slots) combine that with the mod to remove any unnecessary dvi ports for single slot cards, does anyone else think this can work?

One last thing, would this case be able to support 280mm rads in any config? just wondering.

Just thought I should ask these questions. Once I get a chance, I'll take a look at the blueprints and stuff of this case and draw it out accurately and see if I can post more elaborately. Sorry if anyone else has asked these questions.

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
We will not be compromising on stability/rigidity/strength no matter what we end up doing. It's just that, if we use aluminum with the internal chassis, that means we are forced to use a thicker gauge to get that, which will either increase the external dimensions, or decrease the internal tolerances - and either way, we have to do a bit of work to re-factor the design with the thicker material.

Everything else - features, finishes, design, etc - would be unchanged. We'd just be changing the metal used. Benefits would be a much lighter enclosure and the perception (by some) of higher quality; the drawbacks would be the thicker gauge, a potentially higher cost (though we might scrape by - waiting on quotes currently), and a loss of the ability to use magnetic filters without putting magnets on yourself.

Thanks :) I believed that you wouldn't compromise this case, it's too important to you. The loss of magnetic filters is *shrug* I can live with that, I'll glue magnets on. Al may also help with the shipping cost to OZ, but as you said, the box is big enough that it's probably not that much of a change. Good luck with things :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, I know i'm a bit late, however I'm wondering a few things.

Welcome to the forum! You're not late, the party hasn't started yet due to unforeseen delays :p

Will the SFX-L support the ATX bracket for PSU's? or will I have to put it in front?

At this point it looks like we'll be keeping the swappable rear plates like on the prototype for production. So yes, with an ATX to SFX adapter you could mount a SFX-L power supply to the rear or you could still mount it to the front.

what will be the optimal radiator size for a water cooled sli of that? slim or mid? and I'm sure dual 240's would be plenty to cool it but I'm wondering if I can fit the mid, should I?

Thick rads with dual GPUs is very difficult. On the bottom it'd run into the bottom card and on the front it'd run into the motherboard. So I'd stick to 25-40mm rads.

and do you think I could mod the hdd brackets so they can attach to a pci-e slot above a GPU? (GPU in 2nd and 3rd pci-e x16 slots)

If you don't mind the HDD bracket resting on top of the top GPU that could maybe work. I don't think you could easily hang the HDD bracket off the PCIe slots since it'd put a lot of torque on it.

One last thing, would this case be able to support 280mm rads in any config? just wondering.

Possibly on the bottom with a slim rad and slim fans. Definitely not on the front with the mATX version.

Reactions: Commissariat

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Honestly, as far as shipping overseas goes, the best way to reduce the cost would be to have the case ship flat pack and the user assembles it, but then Kimera can't completely guarantee the build quality.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Don't know if you guys saw today but Silverstone is releasing an 800w sfx psu.

Today? We're way ahead of the regular news sites on that one: https://smallformfactor.net/news/silverstone-sx800-lti-800w-titanium-sfx-l :D

Honestly, as far as shipping overseas goes, the best way to reduce the cost would be to have the case ship flat pack and the user assembles it

We'd have to break the middle frame section into 3 pieces for that to work. The problem is once the necessary packaging is included to keep the separate pieces from bumping into each other the box isn't that much smaller.

Reactions: tedlas

Doesnotinhale

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 10, 2016
Can't wait til this case is out

I'm just wondering on the practicality of a particular setup. I want to run an SLI setup but I know with this amount of space blower style cards would get hot and loud. I am really interested to see if an SLI setup with EVGA Hybrid cards is possible (maybe even with a NVMe card tucked between em)
Also I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to get a Corsair h80i on the CPU.

I figure one GPU rad could go on the front under the SFX power supply, the bottom card rad could go right under it on the bottom front or back, and lastly the H80I rad could be placed on the side bracket.

With tubing length, tight corners, etc do you think it could work? or would the ATX version of the case be a better option?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I prefer air-cooling for CPU in this type of case where you can install a beefy tower or top-down cooler. Generally you'd want an AIO for the CPU if there is less than 70mm height for a CPU cooler and you'd run a high-end CPU (>100W TDP).

For the GPUs I'd do the same as you suggested, but I'd make sure both are configured as exhaust and have other case fans configured as intake.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I figure one GPU rad could go on the front under the SFX power supply, the bottom card rad could go right under it on the bottom front or back, and lastly the H80I rad could be placed on the side bracket.

Since the hybrid cards are double-slot cards that will make mounting a rad to the bottom difficult. There definitely won't be room with the cards spaced out and if they're not spaced out then the rad would only fit if it's 25mm thick and the fan is 15mm, even then it'll be very close.

Doesnotinhale

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 10, 2016
What if its an Asus board not unlike this one?http://www.gamecrate.com/sites/default/files/kimera-cerberus-matx-vr-pc-case-review-12_0.jpg
I'm gonna get the x99 M WS and I noticed with Asus' X99 boards that the two PCIE x16 lanes are a bit higher up and the last lane is an x8

I noticed this build is possibly an Asus as well https://i.imgur.com/Wcszf4r.jpg

Do you think it could be done with some cable management magic? Or is the ATX version going to be more radiator friendly with the increased headroom?

Any chance of being able to install a fan on the infinity vent on the roof of the case or would the ATX be better for that too?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There is only 43mm from the bottom of the second dual-slot card to the bottom of the case in a non-spaced configuration.

So that's where an ATX variant could help, since there'd be more room between the floor of the case and the second card.

There are no fan mounts on the roof of the case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There are no fan mounts on the roof of the case.
Hmm I was under the impression there was with the handle bracket. Would that be possible and viable for a 120mm or would it cross the motherboard keep-out-zone ?

There seems to be atleast enough space for thinner fans above the motherboard, like the Scythe 100mm x 10mm. Maybe not enough for a radiator but maybe if it would be offset to the perforated sidepanel ?

chanberg

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2015
Wondering whats the worst came scenario time frame for delivery? best case? Trying to get a time frame. Looking forward to purchasing one of these cases

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wondering whats the worst came scenario time frame for delivery? best case? Trying to get a time frame. Looking forward to purchasing one of these cases

Belated welcome to the forum! Worst case is the day after Half-Life 3 releases. Best case is sometime in the next few months. We've run into additional issues beyond the steel vs aluminum so the schedule is uncertain at this point. Sorry to be so vague.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
We've run into additional issues beyond the steel vs aluminum so the schedule is uncertain at this point.

Can you elaborate? I thought being hindered by geopolitics was already quite serious.

I'm not in a hurry to build at the moment, but come the release of both red and green HBM2 based cards in H1 2017, I will be. Well, and I can't use wadded up microfiber to keep my NAS quiet forever.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm I was under the impression there was with the handle bracket.

Oops, forgot to answer this. Nova-00 had a fan mount on the handle bracket but I removed them on the Cerberus prototype. I may re-add holes but the problem is they would only be usable with rubber fan mounts, there isn't enough room for the head of a screw.