Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wouldn't counter-sunk screws (which come standard with a fan) and the appropriate holes work for this ?
Maybe it could allow with some boards or configurations to have a single slim 120mm radiator on top or certainly a slim fan to help exhaust or intake near the CPU area.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe, the problem was that the pan head fan screws that would come with the case wouldn't work and adding a dimple to make them work wasn't cost-effective since the bracket already had dimples going the other direction as spacers for the handle.

I may just add the holes and not advertise it so it can be made to work but nobody could complain that it doesn't work out of the box.

A slim fan is all that would fit, anything more and it would run into the motherboard.

Reactions: tedlas and Phuncz

chanberg

Trash Compacter
Sep 9, 2015
Belated welcome to the forum! Worst case is the day after Half-Life 3 releases. Best case is sometime in the next few months. We've run into additional issues beyond the steel vs aluminum so the schedule is uncertain at this point. Sorry to be so vague.

Thanks for the reply! Will be looking forward to it in the coming months!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I may just add the holes and not advertise it so it can be made to work but nobody could complain that it doesn't work out of the box.

A slim fan is all that would fit, anything more and it would run into the motherboard.
Hidden features like these are awesome. Necere has put 4 screwholes in the front of the Ncase M1 that seemingly don't fit anything, although people have been unintentionally trying to fit stuff there. It looked a lot like the hole arrangement of a reservoir bracket but it didn't fit as far as I know.

Reactions: tedlas

obiwantoby

What's an ITX?
Jun 16, 2016
Excited for production. I was okay with the price and options on the original kick started plan, as such I backed it. Interesting discussion so far. Love the design, love USA made.

Reactions: jeshikat

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
In that case depleted uranium would be the way to go right? Only a small chance of getting cancer from it.
Tungsten is marginally (by about 0.2 g/cm^3) denser than DU, but at least it;s available on the open market! For room-temperature materials Iridium or Osmium would top the list, but both are expensive enough to make a solid Platinum case look cheap. Iridium would probably be preferable, as it's iridescence would be aesthetically pleasing, and unlike Osmium it isn't fatally toxic.

Reactions: tedlas and Isomer

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Tungsten is marginally (by about 0.2 g/cm^3) denser than DU, but at least it;s available on the open market!

Ah, should have checked my periodic table. And you can get DU, just gotta ask the Libyans.

For room-temperature materials Iridium or Osmium would top the list, but both are expensive enough to make a solid Platinum case look cheap.

I think magnesium would be neat, just be careful not to expose it to a high-temperature flame :p

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I think magnesium would be neat, just be careful not to expose it to a high-temperature flame :p
LiMg alloys are actually becoming pretty popular for making laptop shells now somebody has worked out a functional pressure-forming process for them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
and unlike Osmium it isn't fatally toxic.
A relevant poll would be how many people lick and fondle their cases.

So with an explosive PSU, you also get the cascaded effect of burning magnesium ? Challenge acc... No never mind :D

LiMg alloys are actually becoming pretty popular for making laptop shells now somebody has worked out a functional pressure-forming process for them.
Sony has been doing this a while, along with Lenovo and Microsoft more recently. It's certainly a viable alternative to aluminium.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
A relevant poll would be how many people lick and fondle their cases.
Osmium is actually super-nasty in this regard, well above other heavy metals: It will oxidise, then the toxic Osmium Tetroxide will spontaneously aerosolise.
Sony has been doing this a while, along with Lenovo and Microsoft more recently. It's certainly a viable alternative to aluminium.
The alloy used in those laptops (and in other products like the Maglite) is mostly pure magnesium (with a few percent other metals as alloys). LiMg (which contains a significant proportion of Lithium) is slightly harder, and somewhat less dense for the same strength, but is tricky to form or machine which prevented it's use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We probably won't do another crowdfunding campaign. The production plan we have in mind won't require it but we've run into some setbacks so nothing to announce just yet.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The production quantities we're dealing with are too large for the cases to be hand-made one by one but too small to have to be produced in multiple batches. So being higher up on the "list" doesn't mean anything.

Best thing to do to get notified of production is either regularly check this thread or sign up for the newsletter: http://www.kimeraindustries.com/subscribe

Reactions: menj