Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
The inside walls from rear to from of the case are 330.17mm. Where does MSI measure their 325mm from?
hmm no indication from them though o_o although if they counted the PCIe tab we'd actually clear a little more? (by the length of that tab) o_o
'cause the PCIe screw mount is a protrusion outside the case

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I know that I said I was going to snag the Aorus Xtreme, but I couldn't resist the X399 Taichi for $300.
The Aorus apart the lack of the U.2, it’s an amazing and nearly perfect board! Finally a proper finned heatsink like in the past!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
actually I thought of something:
@FoskcoRS5 did you mount your strix card before the waterblock went on (while it had the air cooler)? did it fit lengthways?

EDIT: nevermind, found one! sorry and thanks!

EDITx2: ahh crap I misread the asus page. it's actually shorter than the gaming X Trio ,_, haaaang on

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
actually I thought of something:
@FoskcoRS5 did you mount your strix card before the waterblock went on (while it had the air cooler)? did it fit lengthways?

EDIT: nevermind, found one! sorry and thanks!

EDITx2: ahh crap I misread the asus page. it's actually shorter than the gaming X Trio ,_, haaaang on
It easily fits lengthwise, just not with any sort of radiator / 25mm fan on the front panel.

Reactions: VegetableStu

optimumtech

Cable Smoosher
Apr 23, 2018
Glad to see the Cerberus & Cerberus X review was well received by more experienced SFF folk here! They really are super versatile and compact enclosures.
I currently have my video editing rig in the Cerberus and I love it to pieces. Super clean and minimal aesthetic, and I love the performance overhead of the mATX form factor over ITX for now.

If you are contemplating purchasing the Cerberus or Cerberus X, I hope this encourages you to pull the trigger. You definitely won't be disappointed. They're enclosures that will last a lifetime.

Lastly, a huge thanks to KSliger for the hook up, I'll hold these ones very close and include them in upcoming SFF content on the channel!

Last edited:

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
Just bought a cerberus case today after watching @optimumtech 's excellent video (also thanks for the discount!). I was lurking a bit here on this thread and was considering going with @KSliger 's new G case initially, but after realizing that the 9900k would need much better cooling with a 280mm AIO for OC, decided to go with the cerberus instead.

Reactions: vseddie and KSliger

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
Here is the build I am going with (purchased everything except the AIO)

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - Castle 280 RGB 96.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: 2 X ADATA - XPG SX8200 960GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GAMING OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS SGX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case: Chimera Industries Cerberus

Still debating whether I should get the Deepcool - Castle 280 AIO (RGB looks quite nice on this one) or get an EVGA CLC 280 and use the noctua NF-A12x25 fans on it. Any suggestions?

Also, I got the Cerberus version with the top mounting bracket. Would it be possible to mount 2 X 120mm fans up top with the Asus Z390-I board?

Last edited:
Reactions: vseddie

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is the build I am going with (purchased everything except the AIO)

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - Castle 280 RGB 96.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: 2 X ADATA - XPG SX8200 960GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GAMING OC Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS SGX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case: Chimera Industries Cerberus

Still debating whether I should get the Deepcool - Castle 280 AIO (RGB looks quite nice on this one) or get an EVGA CLC 280 and use the noctua NF-A12x25 fans on it. Any suggestions?

Also, I got the Cerberus version with the top mounting bracket. Would it be possible to mount 2 X 120mm fans up top with the Asus Z390-I board?
Welcome to Cerberus owner club!

Regarding your setup, if you want the best cooling (in-line with 9900K), I suggest you go to smallest customed watercooling with combination of Swiftech Apogree Drivee II (cpu block, DDC pump) and radiator/reservoir MCR220-QP-RES-R2

That's the best cooling solution with dual NF A12-25 fans..:) (full DDC pump only spinning at 1200rpm, great cpu copper waterblock, copper radiator).
For the look you can play with tubing,liquid, etc...;)
Check my setup, I've this setup in place and it works like a charm in silence and efficiency.

If you want to stick on Asetek AIO like, well they are all based on same design : asetek pump (low pressure, high rpm and fragile), aluminium radiator...they perform almost the same with same fans...so pick-up what ever you prefer in look.

On top bracket, you can put slim fan (15mm) with no motherboard compatibility issues.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018

Regarding your setup, if you want the best cooling (in-line with 9900K), I suggest you go to smallest customed watercooling with combination of Swiftech Apogree Drivee II (cpu block, DDC pump) and radiator/reservoir MCR220-QP-RES-R2

That's the best cooling solution with dual NF A12-25 fans..:) (full DDC pump only spinning at 1200rpm, great cpu copper waterblock, copper radiator).
Check my setup, I've this setup in place and it works like a charm in silence and efficiency.

If you want to stick on Asetek AIO like, well they are all based on same design : asetek pump (low pressure, high rpm and fragile), aluminium radiator...they perform almost the same with same fans...so pick-up what ever you prefer in look.

On top bracket, you can put slim fan (15mm) with no motherboard compatibility issues.

Thanks for the tips! I have never done a custom watercooling loop before and would like to get started with an AIO as it is a bit more idiot proof for me :). Seems like your setup is great though! This is also my first sff build since my last one was in an NZXT Phantom tower (76L lol) and I would like to make the transition as smooth as possible :p

The Deepcool AIO is not using an asetek pump, which is also why it cannot be purchased in the USA, but Im making a work trip to europe in a couple of weeks and was hoping to make a decision whether to pick it up or not. Good to know that 15mm fans fit without any issues as well. I may wait till I can put the motherboard in the case to see if I can fit 25mm fans, otherwise will go with 15mm.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

Even this should work!! and with an ATX PSU! Never seen it!

http://www.swiftech.com/MCR-X20-Drive-Rev3.aspx