Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Iwanit

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2018

check your motherboard on what those would be
(applies to both Cerberuses. CX is just C with 3 extra PCI slots of height)

EDIT: see also:

Thanks for those diagrams, and example - that's super helpful. The example you've shown also shows me the gpu with the Morpheus II will fit in one of the top PCIe slots without blocking off the AIO. Awesome.

The board in the above is the Taichi, but it's layout is almost identical to the fatal1ty. Looks like it'd be pretty bad, that picture shows it blocking off everything from the bottom PCIe slot down. Main issue will be the Pins and debug screen.

Anyone able to confirm whether there'd be any space between the rad and mobo to plug the pins in?

Edit:
Actually - looking at reviews, there only seems to be about a 4c difference under load between the 240mm and 360mm. (And that's got an extra fan!) There should be hardly any difference between the 240mm/280mm. The meager improvement will not be worth the hassle the 280mm will cause.

Looks like the 240mm is the way to go, as everyone has already been saying :p

Last edited:

Iwanit

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2018
I'm conflicted right now with the CPU for my build. Should I buy the 1920x for $397 (and possibly replace it with Zen 2) or bite the bullet and get either the 2920x/2950x?

Edit: bought fittings and radiators instead.

I’ve ordered everything except the fans and pump/res. Pulled the trigger on 1920x. I’m in saving mode now haha.

I was in the same boat, I've now purchased the 2950x - but only because I managed to snag a deal I couldn't refuse! Unless your workload now currently requires the 16c/32t of the 1950x/2950x - going 1920x and then upgrading later down the track to zen 3 is a good move :D

@KSliger
Just noticed the Cerberus X links in the front page are dead. Not sure if you'd have to get @Aibohphobia to fix them, or if a mod can step in to edit them?

Last edited:

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
I was in the same boat, I've now purchased the 2950x - but only because I managed to snag a deal I couldn't refuse! Unless your workload now currently requires the 16c/32t of the 1950x/2950x - going 1920x and then upgrading later down the track to zen 3 is a good move :D

@KSliger
Just noticed the Cerberus X links in the front page are dead. Not sure if you'd have to get @Aibohphobia to fix them, or if a mod can step in to edit them?
I ended up buying the 1920x for under 400. I’ll wait and see what Zen 2 has in store.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Let's hope that the X399 MB will work with Zen 2!
It should work since AMD has promised to support it until 2020 as shown on their roadmap. In the worst case scenario, it could just require a BIOS update before dropping it in.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Let's hope that the X399 MB will work with Zen 2!

It should work since AMD has promised to support it until 2020 as shown on their roadmap. In the worst case scenario, it could just require a BIOS update before dropping it in.
X399 motherboards should be compatible with Zen 2 threadripper.
My only concern is VRM. For example most X399 MB are not recommended for 2990WX due to too weak vrm.
Same is true for example on intel platform between Z370 MB and Z390 MB for core i9 9900K...this cpu is so power hungry once overclock that most of z370MB are not able to handle it properlly.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
X399 motherboards should be compatible with Zen 2 threadripper.
My only concern is VRM. For example most X399 MB are not recommended for 2990WX due to too weak vrm.
Same is true for example on intel platform between Z370 MB and Z390 MB for core i9 9900K...this cpu is so power hungry once overclock that most of z370MB are not able to handle it properlly.
So for him will be ok, has choosen the new Gigabyte Xtreme that is a future proof boards! I was only afraid that If AMD in Zen 2 will use a 6 or 8 Channel memory config, all the previous X399 will not get the full benefits. But, there's time to think about it!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
So for him will be ok, has choosen the new Gigabyte Xtreme that is a future proof boards! I was only afraid that If AMD in Zen 2 will use a 6 or 8 Channel memory config, all the previous X399 will not get the full benefits. But, there's time to think about it!
Currently on AMD platform, you are right memory with 6-8 canals are privileges to EPYC platform with noticeable speed improvement in some specific tasks.
But you right : if AMD will share this feature on next gen Threadripper, then a new motherboard with this feature will be almost a very good selling point.

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015
With the recent release (or lack there of) for mATX boards for this launch and the previous i'm kind of wishing I got the Cerebus X now :(

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Matx mb are most of the time cheap ones.
Mini itx are often long to release.
That’s why i went for cerberus x 18 months ago..;)
I got the Cerberus X for the most flexibility. I purchase the C-X several months ago, but haven’t built in it yet because I didn’t want to invest in an ATX motherboard (and redo my software licenses) or use my mITX motherboard, and end up with a sparse case :p

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I totally agree with the Cerberus X over the base. You could easily argue "What is 1.5 more Liters for so much more flexibility?", then of course people would argue that shaving every inch is the whole point of the SFF philosophy, but I would argue that being able to fit all the flexibility of the X into 19.5(ish) liters with SSI CEB/EEB/EATX compatibility is way more impressive and useful than being able to fit mATX into the 18L footprint that is already so close to similar ITX and a few mATX cases.
I think @Josh | NFC's video about the Cerberus X is a great illustration of that.

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015