Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I'm still in for 2 cases provided the component support doesn't change.

To me, the front panel items are strictly secondary. Really, the only thing I need is the cutout for the anti-vandal switch since I can get my own switches and solder in wiring myself.

Actually...is there such a thing as panel mount USB 3.0 female-to-MB header cables? Might be able to install those myself too.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
No changes in component support are planned.

There are certainly panel mount USB 3.0 to MB header because that's what Cerberus uses.

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
Shame we didnt make the goal, Wouldn't mind loosing the window option. Not to bothered about front panel audio either.

Front USB 3.0 is a must though.

Even if the cost goes up still willing to pay a premium given there is nothing else on market like it.

vpr

Cable Smoosher
Apr 2, 2016
Sorry that the campaign wasn't successful in funding - I have been following the thread(s) everyday and it was sad to see. The whole campaign seemed a bit sleepy - very few updates from the creators, very few comments; it's as if the energy from pre-campaign was all wiped out once the campaign went live -- likely due to the costs that perhaps people weren't prepared for. Also, possibly the confusion that occurred from the ATX or SFX styles instead of a conversion system like the prototype displayed.

Having said that, I like that you're not throwing your hands up in the air and walking away. Realistically though, how much of a delay has this kink in the road incurred to having a product in our hands. As of this month, my current desktop is 5 years old and I was hoping to build a new system this year. I already have an ncase M1 (v2), but my needs have expanded past that of a mini-itx build, or maybe it hasn't that is what I need to figure out.

On a side note, I spent 4 years of my life living in mainland China, and eventually married a Chinese native before I decided to come back to the states and bring her with me. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a quality manufacturer if you did go down that road, but my biggest concern would be that you're essentially handing over the blueprints for them to produce copy-cat models. Perhaps inevitable if the thing takes off, but much easier when you don't have to reverse engineer.

I, personally, would rather have all features than US manufacturing. On the other hand, I rarely use front audio jacks - my speakers volume control module has a headphone jack that I use instead. I'm also looking into picking up an external dac/amp which would have it's own headphone jack - so of all features that had to be cut I'd be willing to sacrifice the front audio jacks.

Good luck in tackling what comes next - I'm eagerly awaiting the news.

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
Wouldn't mind loosing the window option. Not to bothered about front panel audio either.

Agree, but please let me have the handle, or at least the mounting holes even I have to get a third party one. (http://mnpctech.com/pc-case-lan-par...ver-tower-handles/billet-grooved-handles.html)

Edit:
Any one knows if there are ones similar to Lian-Li?
(http://www.lian-li.com/en/files/2012/12/PC-TU200-01.png)

Did we ever discussed the distance between the holes for the handle?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Realistically though, how much of a delay has this kink in the road incurred to having a product in our hands.

Not sure, it depends on what changes we have to make.

Agree, but please let me have the handle

Handle isn't going anywhere, it's already an option so we don't have to drop it to lower the base price.

Did we ever discussed the distance between the holes for the handle?

Currently it's 144mm between the mounting holes for the handle.

Reactions: Brian

Roll Over

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2016
As a supporter I appreciate all you've put into this effort, so sorry it didn't attract more backers. It is great that you are going to learn from this and not give up, I still want a Cerberus and look forward to what can be developed. I think if you can get a smaller number of these cases in the hands of enthusiasts and perhaps enough to seed to some key reviewers you would have a much more active campaign.

Reactions: jsco

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
I only have one idea as to how to possibly make this thing work out still (and my idea may be no good, I don't know, thought I'd mention it anyway). You could partner with another case manufacturer to make this thing happen (like ncase did with lian-li to make the m1). Maybe partner with the same people or even partner with In-Win as they always are doing expensive limited run cases anyway and would maybe go for it with this case.

Just the random idea floating around in my head, no idea if it will help or not.

Roll Over

Efficiency Noob
Apr 5, 2016
While some features will be cut, we could possibly help James and Joshua figure out ways so it's not permanently gone...

This is a very sensible approach, eliminate anything that can be sourced by the community here as "add-ons" and stick with the bare-bones manufactured case preserving the openings, etc for these options.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe partner with the same people or even partner with In-Win as they always are doing expensive limited run cases anyway and would maybe go for it with this case.

We won't use Lian Li for Cerberus. The resulting case would resemble the M1 too much. I think everyone here would understand and accept the resemblance, but not everyone is so familiar with both projects and I don't want to cause a fuss like what happened with the accusations against Thermaltake.

Can you buy This case or? Really interestet in this :)

We're working on it but Cerberus is not currently available for sale. You can follow this thread for the latest news but I'd also recommend signing up for the newsletter if you don't want to miss any major updates: http://www.kimeraindustries.com/subscribe

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
We won't use Lian Li for Cerberus.

Are there even any "conventional" PC case OEMs that will do an all-steel case with sufficiently thick steel? Seems just about everybody does theirs with some plastic here or there nowadays.

We're working on it but Cerberus is not currently available for sale.

The anti-vibration mounts in my DS214+ aren't so anti-vibration anymore (and it was slow even back when it was quiet), so the non-existence of Cerberus in its packaging on my doorstep is turning from a minor inconvenience to a slight annoyance. What sort of timeline we looking at for figuring out a timeline?

Oh, and uh, what happened to the weekend update?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are there even any "conventional" PC case OEMs that will do an all-steel case with sufficiently thick steel?

Not sure on their other cases, but the BitFenix Prodigy uses 20 gauge steel for the frame and 18 gauge steel for the side panels. It's not entirely steel and it uses stamping (which is very expensive to set up) though.

What sort of timeline we looking at for figuring out a timeline?

Actually, an interesting opportunity came up earlier today that could make production easier on our end. But we need to discuss it first so currently I don't have a timeline to figure out the timeline :p

Oh, and uh, what happened to the weekend update?

Joshua has been real busy with non-KI things so that may be delayed.

jrronimo

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 5, 2016
twitter.com
I'm really glad to see that there are still plans to get this case out there. I might have to save up a bit, but I really, really want one. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Can you tell us anything? :eek:

Not really, but just to set expectations, it would make production much more feasible but it's not going to drop the price in half or anything that drastic.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Can you tell us anything? :eek:

Not really, but just to set expectations, it would make production much more feasible but it's not going to drop the price in half or anything that drastic.

Right now, we want to keep Cerberus as close to the current design as is feasible, while making it as accessible and available to supporters as possible (both in terms of time and price). We've had more than a few parties reach out to us, and we're looking at avenues that weren't really available to us pre-Kickstarter, which is exciting. '

We're pretty confident that we can deliver on all of the above, but working out these deals takes time.

I'm actually out of the country for a little over a week starting this Friday, doing some volunteer work abroad (with no phone/data connectivity whatsoever, unfortunately :(), so I'm hoping we make some tangible progress in the next few days. But either way, we're moving forward pretty aggressively on this.

Reactions: PNP and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome news, I can't wait to find out what you guys have in store for us !

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Anyone have thoughts on steel vs aluminum for the exterior panels? Still powder-coated.

It'd be a bit more expensive but I wonder if that'd help justify the price to those who equate aluminum to quality. Frame would still be steel.