Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nova: 300mm (H) x 170mm (W) x 333mm (D) = 17.0L

Cerberus: 303mm x 170mm x 354mm = 18.2L
  • Nova is not as deep so there's less room for long video cards and/or a fan in front of the cards
  • There is only a front 120mm mount
  • No support for FrozenQ M1 reservoir
  • No front IO (other than power button)
That's the major things I can think of.

s0meb0de

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2016
If I got one of the Pre Pre Preproduction units, would the design of the side panel allow me to cut a window into it? I'd probably do it where the vent holes are.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

You can but it gets tricky. If you want the window where the vent holes are on the standard panel in the standard orientation, then the side bracket will get in the way if the acrylic is attached to the inside of the panel.

You'd either have to not use the side bracket or mount the acrylic to the outside of the panel.

If you plan to cut the window where the vents are but flip the panel upside panel (the clips are symmetric) then that's fine as long as the window is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the frame.

s0meb0de

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 19, 2016
I'd definitely build this rig with an SFX power supply or perhaps a pico PSU so I could fit a bigger radiator... Oh the options!!!! How do I go about signing up for the Pre Pre Pre-release sale?

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
I'd definitely build this rig with an SFX power supply or perhaps a pico PSU so I could fit a bigger radiator... Oh the options!!!! How do I go about signing up for the Pre Pre Pre-release sale?

Same here, how and when do I get my hands on this beautiful case.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
PM me with email address and if you want a Cerberus or Cerberus-X. If there's no delays this batch should ship mid-January.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Google images shows a blue render of the case.

For the lazy:

amvoith

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2016
Is it possible to move the SFX PSU bracket further to the rear of the case for those using mITX boards? Or would this require user modification?This would possibly provide the option to add a 240mm radiator on the front of the case

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is it possible to move the SFX PSU bracket further to the rear of the case for those using mITX boards? Or would this require user modification?This would possibly provide the option to add a 240mm radiator on the front of the case

It'd require modding.

Though why not put the rad on the bottom and use the space between the SFX PSU and the ITX board for the reservoir and pump?

amvoith

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2016
It'd require modding.

Though why not put the rad on the bottom and use the space between the SFX PSU and the ITX board for the reservoir and pump?

That's also something I've been considering. I'm just brainstorming ideas to get 3-4x 120mm worth of rad in there. I'm thinking I could still fit the pump/res in that space below the PSU if I moved it to make room for the front 240mm rad. This would give a 240 on the front and a 240 on the bottom.

Another potential option would be the bottom 240mm rad plus a 120mm rad on the front below the SFX PSU in its original position.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What about putting two 240 rads in series in the bottom? With mITX you'd have enough space for that.

Or alternatively using an ATX-to-SFX bracket to put the PSU on the back. You don't really need a lot of space above the CPU anyway if you're putting it under water.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
For the cerberus-x it is pretty easy for a 240 rad mounted on the bottom and 120 rad on the front. I threw it together really quickly using tinkercad

Green is radiators - these are black ice nemesis gts 240 and 120. Note the 120 is actually turned 90 degrees to give the PSU cabling room to run. It should juuuuust fit inside sideways +- 1mm.

The gold box is a standard SFX psu.

Placements aren't exact, especially for the motherboard, but the important rad-constraining dimensions were taken from the official page (added the height we discussed a few pages ago)

You can see a lot of dead space beneath the gpu (which is where I would mount a horizontal res+D5) and room to the right of the motherboard.

I haven't mocked up the same thing using the shorter non-x cerberus, but it would likely require a slim fan on the front 120 rad, and the cable runs from a front-mounted SFX PSU would be challenging.

amvoith

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2016
Will the (non-x) Cerberus be capable of 240rads fitting on the front and bottom at the same time? I'm not near a computer to tinker with sketchup atm. I'm looking at EK SE 240mm rads with 120mm fans (standard 25mm thick).

Is anyone able to sketch this up? Don't worry about PSU placement.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Here's an old mockup of dual Alphacool ST30 240mm rads:

The problem is the bottom fan on the front rad will interfere with the tubing on the bottom rad.

amvoith

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks, if the bottom rad is turned around that should fix that problem right? Or perhaps the fans would be interfering..

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, that's right, you would only have a single video card. You could flip the bottom rad around so the tubing is at the rear but then the fans may interfere.