Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I registered to get the latest update. I have few questions. Is there a pre-order list or is it just buy when it's released? I saw previous post stating that it will go into production sometime this month or January, is this still true?

Welcome to the forum!

General production still has no ETA. There's the mailing list but general production will be first come first serve: kimeraindustries.com/subscribe

I have to pre-order the M1 soon, so I'd like to know if it's worth holding out for this case, or if the developers have just abandoned the project?

Also welcome!

We're still working on production but it's just taking longer than planned.

How much do you think the case will "retail" for once it's in production. I'm just curious at how big of a price difference the $500 will be. I'm guessing this case is going to be a $250-300 case at retail.

We're still aiming for $250 for general production.

nemesis429

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2016
Will the ATX version be out at the same time, I saw somewhere that you was looking at doing an ATX version basically the same design with just couple extra slots?

Reactions: VegetableStu

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, Cerberus-X is Cerberus extended in height to add 3 more slots for ATX motherboard support. An issue though is since the mobo standoffs are fixed in place using a microATX motherboard in Cerberus-X isn't ideal since several standoff locations will be missing on a mATX board.

It will be released alongside Cerberus.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes, I thought so too. Damn, decisions, decisions. Oh no wait I was already gunning for the ATX version a while ago :D

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Excellent news!

I like how the Cerberus-X is being intentionally designed so that it will never appear in the space inefficiency thread.
"You cannot put an mATX mobo in this ATX case. If you want an mATX mobo, get the mATX case!"

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That is BIG news, I thought you were going to release them separately.

Yes, I thought so too. Damn, decisions, decisions. Oh no wait I was already gunning for the ATX version a while ago :D

Haha, I thought I had already mentioned they'd release together.

I like how the Cerberus-X is being intentionally designed so that it will never appear in the space inefficiency thread.
"You cannot put an mATX mobo in this ATX case. If you want an mATX mobo, get the mATX case!"

It wasn't really intentional, if the standoffs could be removeable to comply with the mATX spec without making the case bigger I'd do that.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
So roughly 6cm increase in height vs the base Cerberus?

Apologies if I've missed the posting of specific dimension changes for the Cerberus-X

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, a PCI slot is 20.32mm tall and there's 3 more so a ~60mm increase.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Well now that both models are being released at the same time, I may just have to redesign my build for ATX since the MATX boards are still suffering from stagnant development. I doubt that I'll be using the extra PCI slots though. Would there be more room available for watercooling on the bottom with the motherboard in place? I'll still stick to those lovely aluminum fans I found that are 25mm; a thicker rad on the bottom case would be more than adequate to cool a single gpu and cpu.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would there be more room available for watercooling on the bottom with the motherboard in place? I'll still stick to those lovely aluminum fans I found that are 25mm; a thicker rad on the bottom case would be more than adequate to cool a single gpu and cpu.

With an ATX motherboard in Cerberus-X, there are the same mobo clearance issues with thick rads as with a mATX board in Cerberus. So a thick rad could interfere with the front panel headers for USB 2.0, audio, front IO, etc.

A mATX board in Cerberus-X would fix that, but as mentioned, the standoffs are fixed in place so I wouldn't really recommend it.

How much volume does that add?

Volume of Cerberus-X is about 22L.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Hey Aibohphobia,

When do you think you'll show the ATX model ?
Very interested in what your beautiful mind has come up with :)

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's literally Cerberus but a bit taller so I haven't made any renders of it. From the outside it just looks like someone resized a picture of Cerberus and forgot to keep the height and width scaled the same amount.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
LOL ! That's pretty funny.

Do you think you'll use that extra space for other features ?
E.g. if someone wants to mount an mATX board in it and add a whole bunch of water cooling ? ;)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
LOL ! That's pretty funny.

Do you think you'll use that extra space for other features ?
E.g. if someone wants to mount an mATX board in it and add a whole bunch of water cooling ? ;)
Think Aibo already mentioned that the CX doesn't mount mATX boards many times ._.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The issue is this:

The holes B (2nd on top) R or S (2nd and 3rd in the middle) are only designed for mATX. Aibohphobia chose non-removable standoffs and these would cause short circuits on an ATX motherboard. But an mATX motherboard would still be able to be fastened to the C, F, H, J, L and M standoffs, just the bottom two (bottom PCIe slots) would not have any structural support.

As LukeD says, this doesn't mean it's not possible or fixable, by the user.

Reactions: SeeFiFo and LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
So he'd have to make B & R/S removable :) But in exchange for some sexy features like adding a rad at the bottom of the case :) I think people would dig that :)

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz