Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Mike

Efficiency Noob
Mar 5, 2016
Let's say cost isn't an issue. How much would it cost to get a single run of the case without USB and headset ports? I'm thinking if this is the last case I buy, I want to future proof a bit and spend more on the case. Maybe USB A gets outdated and the standard becomes USB C.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm sure no matter what the outcome of the crowd funding campaign this won't be the last we see of the Cerberus. It's so much better than all the other existing cases on the market.

Yup, I'm thinking if the campaign fails we could do a smaller run with a simplified design, like dropping the front audio and not bundling the power switch. The main problem is the internal power cord because the MOQ for the really low-profile one is 1000.

I found a different one that's actually made in the USA but it's a right-angle instead of a left-angle which results in having to bend the cord sharply with several of the SFX and SFX-L units out right now. It's also not as short so that would necessitate either making the case taller or sacrificing SFX-L compatibility with a long card in the top slot.

Even if its a licensed manufacturer, hell sliger sell a range of cases on their site already non of which can be selling at a huge volume.

Those cases on the site are basically just to show off what they're capable of. Almost all their work is either customized versions of their rackmount server enclosures or fully custom stuff.

Let's say cost isn't an issue. How much would it cost to get a single run of the case without USB and headset ports? I'm thinking if this is the last case I buy, I want to future proof a bit and spend more on the case. Maybe USB A gets outdated and the standard becomes USB C.

Are you talking a separate production run or a single case? I've had someone ask for IO delete and for just a few units the easiest would be do to a few top panels without the cutouts and ship those separately. Not sure on the cost on that though.

Edit: And welcome to the forum!

Mike

Efficiency Noob
Mar 5, 2016
Are you talking a separate production run or a single case? I've had someone ask for IO delete and for just a few units the easiest would be do to a few top panels without the cutouts and ship those separately. Not sure on the cost on that though.

Edit: And welcome to the forum!

If that was an option I would love that! :)

Anyways, hopefully a Blue for me! :)

Reactions: Ninjapro and Phuncz

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
a different one that's actually made in the USA but it's a right-angle instead of a left-angle which results in having to bend the cord sharply with several of the SFX and SFX-L units out right now. It's also not as short so that would necessitate either making the case taller or sacrificing SFX-L compatibility with a long card in the top slot.

I wouldn't mind a case without the cable easy enough to prefab.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We can think about contingency plans if and when we don't have enough support at the conclusion of the campaign :p

Until then, we have a whole month for existing followers to pledge, and for us to promote our work and find additional backers! We've got a very long way to go, but meeting our goal is certainly possible, it just won't be easy.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
No longer relevant. They mentioned there was plenty of coverage from the reveal of Cerberus, however because of that they are now missing out on the actual kickstarter launch coverage. Which makes sense given that coverage has already been done by sites.

Reactions: Pat-Roner

Theelichtje

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2016
I do think that people will pledge more if the shipping prices come down. I know i am waiting for that, because the shipping to the netherlands is very expensive.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I wonder why the shipment cost is so high. I can ship the A4-SFX to US from germany for 35€ with DHL. The reason could be the small size and weight.

MunneY

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2016
youtube.com
I know that when Parvum Systems ships from the UK to the US its about half as much as the other way around. There is just something about sending it out of the US that causes the price to be 50-100% higher

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I know that when Parvum Systems ships from the UK to the US its about half as much as the other way around. There is just something about sending it out of the US that causes the price to be 50-100% higher

That depends on the country. Shipping from norway to the US is crazy expensive.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Of Predators, Press, Postage and Paintings...

On this fine Monday evening, we have a trio of updates to share with everyone, as we approach nearly $40,000 in pledges so far for the Kickstarter campaign!

---

On Predators: Though our prototype is currently on a return journey from an as-of-yet-undisclosed trip to the west coast, we've already got a pile of equipment to do some test fitment with upon the enclosure's arrival. Some of these are at the request of our followers and backers, but what they all have in common is their size - from the large Noctua NH-C14S top-down cooler, to the massive Cryorig H7 tower cooler, to the simply absurd-sized EK Predator 240 AIO! Though tolerances for installing these components are very tight - some coming within a single millimeter of the clearances available within the case - their listed dimensions all indicate that they should fit within Cerberus, and we can't wait to investigate and confirm fitment one way or the other later in the week. Indeed, when we say that enthusiast-grade components can fit in Cerberus, we mean it, big time.

Speaking of which, if you'd like us to test any particular arrangements of components, or even specific components in particular (if we can access it), feel free to reach out and let us know, and we'll report back on the results! Just note that we'll have the prototype with us only briefly, before sending Cerberus along to yet another secretive journey, this time towards the north!

‌‌ ‌‌‌‌

On Press: We were fortunate enough to receive a burst of media attention back in February when the final details of Cerberus were unveiled, and as it turns out, we seem to have received a fair amount of international attention following the launch of our Kickstarter campaign as well! From Tom's Hardware Italy to the German ComputerBase, the international press we've received is commensurate with the sizable proportion of backers and followers of KI that hail from Europe, Asia, and beyond. We're hopeful that some of that coverage can turn into pledges, and are excited to have the opportunity to show our work to a large and incredibly diverse global audience!

‌‌ ‌‌‌‌

On Postage: Since last week, we've been working on finding cheaper rates to send Cerberus to international backers, and although we don't have concrete numbers to share quite yet, we're tailing a couple promising leads that should yield more affordable costs to those across the Atlantic. As we've stated before, we don't expect to see dramatic cost savings on the order of 50%, but we do think it's possible to cut shipping costs in a way that's tangibly beneficial to backers. As such, we're pursuing such reductions aggressively!

‌‌ ‌‌‌‌

And finally, on Paintings: We've already got a backer that's opted to have local artist Carissa Reynolds make a custom commission of a Cerberus, but a few people have asked what such a piece might look like. Indeed, in the description of the tier, we explained that everything from the pose of the Cerberus, to the very breed of the dog, was up to the backer - and I somewhat humorously offered a suggestion of a three-headed pug.

Well, it turns out that Carissa saw that as a bit of a challenge.

It's cute, but in a terrifying sort of way, right?

Needless to say, the above image should give you all a sense of the sort of work Carissa puts into these watercolors! Though this particular one is more of a "prototype" than a completely finished work (her words), it hopefully can provide some guidance with respect to what you can get, and in what way you can customize the commission to your taste...

(...Or sense of humor, it seems!)

---

We're expecting to have some additional updates and other things to share with you all over the next few days, and can't wait to see how the next week progresses! As always, if you have any questions for us, feel free to reach out on Kickstarter, as well right here.

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
Of Predators, Press, Postage and Paintings...

On Predators: Though our prototype is currently on a return journey from an as-of-yet-undisclosed trip to the west coast... Just note that we'll have the prototype with us only briefly, before sending Cerberus along to yet another secretive journey, this time towards the north!

Shall we expect a video from Linus and Dimitry this week? ;)

Reactions: Brian

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Shall we expect a video from Linus and Dimitry this week? ;)

I hope for KI's sake Linus, since he has the bigger audience. But they seem swamped atm, so my money is on Dimitry.

Personally I prefer Dimitry's work. DAT b-roll. I think he really will make the product pop, + when he reviews a case, he shows the actual case for the most part, not just himself talking about it and 20% b-roll.

Reactions: Brian

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
If the case is returning from the west coast, then it's not been to Dimitry, since he is based in Toronto.