Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wow, very nice that you've reached 20% so fast. I'm hoping the momentum keeps up for a while but it looks promising !

Reactions: Brian

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
BTW, I have a Predator 240 and Noctua C14S coming in for fit testing, anything else you all want me to check?

If you have one available, I'm really curious if the Cryorig H7 will fit with out the side bracket.

Congratulations on reaching 20%!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you have one available, I'm really curious if the Cryorig H7 will fit with out the side bracket.

Haha, there's both a H5 Universal and H5 Ultimate at my work but we quit stocking the H7 because the mounting system is not nearly as nice. It's only $35 and it looks like the only 120mm tower cooler that could fit so I'll pick one up.

Reactions: Pat-Roner

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
it's really frustrating how most places (like reddit) don't allow links to crowd funding sites.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Haha, there's both a H5 Universal and H5 Ultimate at my work but we quit stocking the H7 because the mounting system is not nearly as nice. It's only $35 and it looks like the only 120mm tower cooler that could fit so I'll pick one up.
Yeah, I've heart that it's terrible. But I think this will be a good cooler if it fits.

Thanks!

Ninjapro

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
I'd like mine in Carmine Red.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Because SFFn is a completely different entity to Kimera. To avoid conflicts of interest (due to both Kimera staff working on SFFn), any Kimera product will not be featured or reviewed on the site. This is also why @Aibophobia and @PlayfulPhoenix will not review cases - too high a risk of bias.

Please note that I have no association with Kimera (and neither does TekEverything)- this is why Jay and I can review cases :)

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
I haven't even seen any coverage of the Kickstarter campaign on other computer websites, either. I even e-mailed Sebastian Peak at PC Perspective, but there's been nothing on that site and he's a a fan of cases like this.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just wondering, but why is there no posts of the Cerberus kickstarter on SFFN frontpage?

Because SFFn is a completely different entity to Kimera. To avoid conflicts of interest (due to both Kimera staff working on SFFn), any Kimera product will not be featured or reviewed on the site. This is also why @Aibophobia and @PlayfulPhoenix will not review cases - too high a risk of bias.

Please note that I have no association with Kimera (and neither does TekEverything)- this is why Jay and I can review cases :)

We've (Aiboh and I) deliberately kept our work on SFFn/SFF Forum, and Kimera Industries, separate in this manner. Although we care about Cerberus and KI and being able to design cool things, we care even more about the community we've been building here, and for us to take advantage of our capabilities by shoving one project into another (ostensibly for personal gain) would be objectively and morally wrong. So we aren't going to do it.

I haven't even seen any coverage of the Kickstarter campaign on other computer websites, either. I even e-mailed Sebastian Peak at PC Perspective, but there's been nothing on that site and he's a a fan of cases like this.

We sent out press releases and saw a fair amount of coverage when Cerberus was announced. We also sent our press releases when the crowdfunding campaign landed, but so far I've only seen coverage of that internationally:

Tom's Hardware
ComputerBase

(If any of you all discover other stories, please do let us know of them!)

We kinda pre-announced the crowdfunding campaign in the reveal, so it isn't that surprising that we haven't seen as much reporting on the second press release. That said, all the places we communicated with that have reported on us have been really great, so we're far from upset or anything. You mention Sebastian Peak of PCPer, and he (and all the folks there) were really enthusiastic and receptive, and engaged with us more than most.

(We've also got one or two things lined up that I think will get us some attention, and will be neat for you all to see :) For now we're keeping that to ourselves, though :p)

Reactions: Pat-Roner

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
We've also got one or two things lined up that I think will get us some attention
For your guys' sake, I hope so. Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, at this point the campaign doesn't look like it has the momentum it needs to reach its goal. Most successful crowdfunding campaigns tend to see the bulk of the contributions in the first week or so. That was certainly true for the two campaigns we ran - here's what our stats looked like. For the production campaign, we were at 50% of our total funding within the first 48 hours, and fully 87% within the first 7 days. The last two weeks brought in very little. Unless you can find some large reserve of untapped customers that this case is going to appeal to (and who can afford it), it will end up well short of where it needs to be, I'm afraid :\

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For your guys' sake, I hope so. Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, at this point the campaign doesn't look like it has the momentum it needs to reach its goal. Most successful crowdfunding campaigns tend to see the bulk of the contributions in the first week or so. That was certainly true for the two campaigns we ran - here's what our stats looked like. For the production campaign, we were at 50% of our total funding within the first 48 hours, and fully 87% within the first 7 days. The last two weeks brought in very little. Unless you can find some large reserve of untapped customers that this case is going to appeal to (and who can afford it), it will end up well short of where it needs to be, I'm afraid :\

We were hoping to have a much better start to the campaign, for sure. Especially when people are anticipating the campaign, pledges tend to be heavy at the start, less so at the end, and pretty slow in between.

The rate of backers if you exclude the first twelve hours (which stands out with a spike) isn't bad, but if you extrapolate it, it comes in a bit under our goal.

Anyways, all that said, this is counterbalanced a bit by some polling we've done on our newsletter where we solicited input from followers, and prefaced the poll by indicating that we only wanted responses from interested/serious buyers. Of course, that will always be an inflated metric, but even when accounting for that it indicated that we were pretty darn close to where we needed to be.

TLDR: We'll see what happens! We have reasons to be optimistic, and early signs that aren't so great :p What those add up to, we'll discover at the end of the month.

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I'm sure no matter what the outcome of the crowd funding campaign this won't be the last we see of the Cerberus. It's so much better than all the other existing cases on the market.

Even if its a licensed manufacturer, hell sliger sell a range of cases on their site already non of which can be selling at a huge volume.