Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Am i the only one thinking of getting the ATX version just to put a M-ATX MB in it and a beefier radiator in the bottom?
The Cerberus X does not have the lowermost row of mATX standoffs (those incompatible with ATX boards, and the standoffs are permanent mount not removable). To put an mATX board in the Cerberus X requires either leaving the lower portion unsupported (not great if you use any PCIe slots) or using self-adhesive standoffs.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
The Cerberus X does not have the lowermost row of mATX standoffs (those incompatible with ATX boards, and the standoffs are permanent mount not removable). To put an mATX board in the Cerberus X requires either leaving the lower portion unsupported (not great if you use any PCIe slots) or using self-adhesive standoffs.

Or drilling holes and screwing in some standoffs.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
^ on this topic, are the mitx standoffs the same as the central ATX standoffs? My plan was actually to run a itx board in a cerberus X...

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh wow I remember that being addressed before. I can’t remember the exact number for the life of me (alas I am not a database server)...

kinda curious, what are you looking to do with that space?

EDIT: If I'm making the right assumptions: 19mm

Last edited:

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017

Middle of build pic. I have a *lot* of trouble removing that GPU from the case. It's not actually the length that's the problem... it gets extremely stuck in the slot. I *think* the problem is that there's a DVI port at the top of the bracket which sticks out, and for some reason there isn't enough room to tilt the card back enough for the DVI slot to clear side of the pci-e slot and let you lift it free of the case without some very scary and unpleasant tugging and bending of the tabs at the bottom of the card.

I also have a GTX 780 and it goes in and out very smoothly without any trouble. It doesn't have a DVI port at the top of the bracket.

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017

Middle of build pic. I have a *lot* of trouble removing that GPU from the case. It's not actually the length that's the problem... it gets extremely stuck in the slot. I *think* the problem is that there's a DVI port at the top of the bracket which sticks out, and for some reason there isn't enough room to tilt the card back enough for the DVI slot to clear side of the pci-e slot and let you lift it free of the case without some very scary and unpleasant tugging and bending of the tabs at the bottom of the card.

I also have a GTX 780 and it goes in and out very smoothly without any trouble. It doesn't have a DVI port at the top of the bracket.

Curious, did the IO shield not fit?

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
Curious, did the IO shield not fit?

I had some difficulty with it the first time I tried, yeah. I don't know if the problem is me or Cerberus! Last time I did a build was a few years ago. I ended up having to put two motherboards in because the first one had a bad ram slot(already returned to Amazon) and between that and the GPU thing I was so tired of fiddling that I just left the I/O shield out this time.

There's a decent chance I end up switching this machine to an Asrock itx/ac board because the USB 3.0 header is under the 240mm AIO, which I didn't realize would happen(should have though, my mistake) and I _think_ I can still get to it with a low profile cable but if I can't I might just give up on mATX.

For the time being I just wanted a working machine asap. :p

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
I had some difficulty with it the first time I tried, yeah. I don't know if the problem is me or Cerberus! Last time I did a build was a few years ago. I ended up having to put two motherboards in because the first one had a bad ram slot(already returned to Amazon) and between that and the GPU thing I was so tired of fiddling that I just left the I/O shield out this time.

There's a decent chance I end up switching this machine to an Asrock itx/ac board because the USB 3.0 header is under the 240mm AIO, which I didn't realize would happen(should have though, my mistake) and I _think_ I can still get to it with a low profile cable but if I can't I might just give up on mATX.

Ah ok, I have a Cerberus on the way, hopefully my io shield fits properly. Your build is looking good.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
yeah the padded ones are a pain in the butt. I get they're trying to hold the IO in (without it falling off internally with some serious IO push-insertions, or literally poking the faceplate in from the outside) but those are waaaay excessive

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

My msi gtx 1080ti has a dvi port, and it could be tricky to remove it.
However, with practice, i’m doing it with no big trouble (i’m also able to keep my cpu cooler in place) Please note, before to unmount my gpu, i’m removing all red cover on unused video plug of gpu (dvi, 2xhdmi and 1xdisplayport).

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak