Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I recall James saying something about having to compete against the DAN A4 and NCASE M1.
That's the wonder of cerberus design. Despite fractal define nano, mini c, c, having similar design nano s, for example, is far from perfect...it would require some adjustments for mini itx (especially with atx spu that block gpu cooling)...on the other hand, cerberus design is really well suited for mini itx, micro atx and also atx...wonderful..:)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
So, a oddity for my fellow enthusiasts. We're all still waiting on the release of Cerberus; which keeps me patiently updating the rig design that I'll be shoving inside the case. I was originally going for the X with an MATX board and some self installed posts. However, I think I'm going to go with the regular Cerberus and an ITX mobo since I'm only wanting a single GPU and 16 GB of RAM and I love clean layouts. I'm looking at the EVGA Z270 Stinger and Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC. I was leaning towards EVGA because I've heard great things about their customer support, but there's an odd lack of any reviews for their motherboard. Any recommendations between these or other boards across the ITX and MATX range?

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
So, a oddity for my fellow enthusiasts. We're all still waiting on the release of Cerberus; which keeps me patiently updating the rig design that I'll be shoving inside the case. I was originally going for the X with an MATX board and some self installed posts. However, I think I'm going to go with the regular Cerberus and an ITX mobo since I'm only wanting a single GPU and 16 GB of RAM and I love clean layouts. I'm looking at the EVGA Z270 Stinger and Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC. I was leaning towards EVGA because I've heard great things about their customer support, but there's an odd lack of any reviews for their motherboard. Any recommendations between these or other boards across the ITX and MATX range?
From what i have heard Z270 Stinger would be better choice. Don`t get me wrong, both boards are good and will suit you well!

On the other hand, mATX mobo may be useful in situations where you need to add some other PCI-E card like 10GB Ethernet, Sound Card etc.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
When my mATX motherboard was in the RMA process I threw my mITX board into the chassis so I could still have a PC. I don’t have any full system pics but I made an album with the only two pictures I had to give you an idea of the waste of space.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, if you are going to have only one gpu, the only advantage to have a micro atx board is the ofset of one pcie port on some motherboards, like you have on atx boards.
This is useful for cpu cooler and sfx-l psu clearance.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Also relevant: there appears to be new mATX Z370 boards on the horizon, with proper features and dual GPU support ! Even X299 is getting the mATX love !

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
When my mATX motherboard was in the RMA process I threw my mITX board into the chassis so I could still have a PC. I don’t have any full system pics but I made an album with the only two pictures I had to give you an idea of the waste of space.

Waste of space? That looks very comfortable for a custom loop, and AFAIK it would have a lower volume than cases than the Nano S, yes?

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Waste of space? That looks very comfortable for a custom loop, and AFAIK it would have a lower volume than cases than the Nano S, yes?

I'm sure it has a lower volume than the consumers cases that are easily available.

Waste of space was the incorrect statement to make, and I'm sure I am looking at this with my SFF goggles. I don't understand why an enthusiast would want to use an mATX chassis to have additional space for a custom loop when more compact options exist.

If a mini itx custom loop is the end game I think the NCASE M1 is a strong competitor. What makes the M1 a nice option for mini ITX is that the PSU orientation allows for use of the side mount.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
I'm sure it has a lower volume than the consumers cases that are easily available.

Waste of space was the incorrect statement to make, and I'm sure I am looking at this with my SFF goggles. I don't understand why an enthusiast would want to use an mATX chassis to have additional space for a custom loop when more compact options exist.

If a mini itx custom loop is the end game I think the NCASE M1 is a strong competitor. What makes the M1 a nice option for mini ITX is that the PSU orientation allows for use of the side mount.

Custom loops in the NCase are difficult, because you're limited to a slim 240 + slim fans which leads to really mediocre temps.

I'm just saying, the Cerberus is an mATX case but it looks like you can *comfortably* fit a *high performing* custom loop in it if you went mITX. More options is never bad.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Custom loops in the NCase are difficult, because you're limited to a slim 240 + slim fans which leads to really mediocre temps.

I'm just saying, the Cerberus is an mATX case but it looks like you can *comfortably* fit a *high perfomring* custom loop in it if you went mITX. More options is never bad.
In fact you can do whatever cooling you want..:)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I'm just saying, the Cerberus is an mATX case but it looks like you can *comfortably* fit a *high performing* custom loop in it if you went mITX. More options is never bad.

That is only necessary if you mount the radiator in the bottom, if you mount it on the side like Necere has always recommended you get very good results from watercooling. I ran mine with a Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240mm and 25mm fans for almost a year.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
That is only necessary if you mount the radiator in the bottom, if you mount it on the side like Necere has always recommended you get very good results from watercooling. I ran mine with a Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240mm and 25mm fans for almost a year.

I don't see how you would get any decent tubing runs with that, and aesthetically it'd be a mess. Again, you could squeeze things in or have room to have a nice loop w/ nice runs. I highly doubt you'd be able to do hard line tubing with a rad on the side mount either.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I don't see how you would get any decent tubing runs with that, and aesthetically it'd be a mess. Again, you could squeeze things in or have room to have a nice loop w/ nice runs. I highly doubt you'd be able to do hard line tubing with a rad on the side mount either.

The runs are quite simple. Res to pump/block to radiator to GPU block to reservoir. I have seen hardline tubing done with this setup but it is a bad idea due to the fact you would have to disconnect the radiator everytime you wanted to get at the interior.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017

The runs are quite simple. Res to pump/block to radiator to GPU block to reservoir. I have seen hardline tubing done with this setup but it is a bad idea due to the fact you would have to disconnect the radiator everytime you wanted to get at the interior.

and I repeat... room to comfortably have a custom loop.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
There are hardline side radiator builds where the rotary extender is used to hinge the side bracket down. Quite comfortable to me. It's subjective.