Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
So the rear plate it comes with is for a 92mm fan, is it? If one were to want to mount an SFX PSU at the rear?

My prototype unit came with the rear fan mount / water cooling cut out bracket I believe and the ATX bracket. I then purchased the Silverstone PP08B for a rear mounted SFX PSU.

I know there were a number of things James mentioned the prototype bros would eventually receive but I don’t think any extra rear plates were mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
My prototype unit came with the rear fan mount bracket and the ATX bracket. I then purchased the Silverstone PP08B for a rear mounted SFX PSU.

I know there were a number of things James mentioned the prototype bros would eventually receive but I don’t think any extra rear plates were mentioned.

ahh okay. just checking, 'cause that got brought up in the previous page

Minno

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2016
When ordering your enclosure you will be able to choose either a SFX kit or an ATX kit. The SFX kit will include the front bracket, rear plate, and internal extension cord. the ATX kit will include the rear bracket.

You should be able to order the brackets separately after the fact, as well.

I remember you saying earlier that you had scrapped the plan to have separate versions for rear- and front-mounted PSUs in order to reduce production complexity. Is the plan now to have the same case for both, but sell packages that contain different accessories?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I remember you saying earlier that you had scrapped the plan to have separate versions for rear- and front-mounted PSUs in order to reduce production complexity. Is the plan now to have the same case for both, but sell packages that contain different accessories?

There will be one version of the chassis, which will have a cutout in the back. Separately from the chassis, folks can buy an ATX kit (which supports rear-mounting) and/or a SFX kit (which supports front-mounting, and puts a cover on the back with a 92mm fan cutout).

We are also looking at providing a rear plate for SFX, as well, to obviate the need for an adaptor. We'll have the specifics on all this once we announce the final product design and parts selection.

anonbot

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 14, 2017
i have been searching for an mATX case for months and none seem to fit my needs until i found the Cerberus. the only thing its missing is openings for my optical drives. i need to be able to fit 2 bluray burners. is there an addon that will accommodate this?

Reactions: Biowarejak

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
i have been searching for an mATX case for months and none seem to fit my needs until i found the Cerberus. the only thing its missing is openings for my optical drives. i need to be able to fit 2 bluray burners. is there an addon that will accommodate this?

Slim ODDs or full 5.25"?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There will be one version of the chassis, which will have a cutout in the back. Separately from the chassis, folks can buy an ATX kit (which supports rear-mounting) and/or a SFX kit (which supports front-mounting, and puts a cover on the back with a 92mm fan cutout).

We are also looking at providing a rear plate for SFX, as well, to obviate the need for an adaptor. We'll have the specifics on all this once we announce the final product design and parts selection.
I'm pretty sure there are people like me that'll say: "but I want all the kits !!" because we basically don't know what the future will give and if we ever would need another bracket. I hope there will be an option to have all the bracket kits :)

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Probably heard it before but at that stage, getting an external enclosure for the drives might be a more realistic option? I taped my blu-ray drive to the underside of my desk, as an example.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Probably heard it before but at that stage, getting an external enclosure for the drives might be a more realistic option? I taped my blu-ray drive to the underside of my desk, as an example.
Not gonna lie, that sounds super convenient :)

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
And lesbe honest, there is no room in SFF for 5.25" drives.
However, at least in Cerberus there is room for a slim slot load drive stuffed under the front panel. If one were willing to completely sacrifice bottom airflow in the front portion of the case and boost case height by a small amount it seems like it would be viable to rest or mount another slim drive under the bottom panel.

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I'm pretty sure there are people like me that'll say: "but I want all the kits !!" because we basically don't know what the future will give and if we ever would need another bracket. I hope there will be an option to have all the bracket kits :)

I am this idiot. XD

When you're all-in on a premium product & hoping to use it for a long time it's nice to have all the optional bits, especially when future supply may depend on batch runs & long distance shipping etc. Totally agree with simplest configs & minimum cost comes first though.

In any case I guess the safe option is to order the recommended SFX kit as that gets

1. Rear plate
2. Internal power cord

So compared to the ATX kit it is missing what, a plate to blank the front PSU hole which is mostly hidden by the top panel anyway? Is there something else?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I am this idiot. XD

When you're all-in on a premium product & hoping to use it for a long time it's nice to have all the optional bits, especially when future supply may depend on batch runs & long distance shipping etc. Totally agree with simplest configs & minimum cost comes first though.

In any case I guess the safe option is to order the recommended SFX kit as that gets

1. Rear plate
2. Internal power cord

So compared to the ATX kit it is missing what, a plate to blank the front PSU hole which is mostly hidden by the top panel anyway? Is there something else?
I will also buy all the kits :)

Reactions: Taswegian

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I am this idiot. XD

1. Rear plate
2. Internal power cord

I will also buy all the kits :)

The intention is that you can order one or both of the ATX/SFX kits.

Minno

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2016
I am this idiot. XD

1. Rear plate
2. Internal power cord

As I understand it, there is no "front PSU hole". It's installed in the front of the case, totally enclosed, with a power cable leading to an outlet on the back. Look at https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...cd1d07c07ca7203dc4/1455230423148/?format=750w and https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...dc1d07c07ca7203dfa/1455230438950/?format=750w images from the original campaign. I think the current plan is to sell one more like the second picture, but with a plate to cover up the back hole if you choose the SFX kit.

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
The intention is that you can order one or both of the ATX/SFX kits.

Perfect! :)

Part I'm not clear on - what does the ATX kit include? Presumably not the rear plate or internal power lead, only things I can think of are maybe a support bracket for the side rail to help hold up the PSU or a blanking plate for the SFX hole (albeit for a hidden hole on the internal chassis but perhaps for structural support?)

Actually, does the SFX (but not ATX) kit also have a bracket to space the front PSU down to clear the power cord or is that just part of the core chassis?

As I understand it, there is no "front PSU hole". It's installed in the front of the case, totally enclosed, with a power cable leading to an outlet on the back. Look at https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...cd1d07c07ca7203dc4/1455230423148/?format=750w and https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...dc1d07c07ca7203dfa/1455230438950/?format=750w images from the original campaign. I think the current plan is to sell one more like the second picture, but with a plate to cover up the back hole if you choose the SFX kit.

Thanks, yeah I'm familiar with it at that level. By "front PSU hole" I mean the hole in the top panel of the internal chassis where the SFX exhaust blows. The cosmetic outer panels in aluminium are same either way.