3D Printed Mod Corners - For 2D Panel Construction

What should my sample case be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
That's a very good idea, but I think you'd need a few different ones because unless the corners are designed for a point-symmetric panel configuration. (Which they aren't, because that would look bad on the front)

Jigga whut?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Jigga whut?

Look:

All the panels have a different kind of cutout because they overlap in different ways. The top overlaps bottom and side, the side only overlaps the bottom and the bottom overlaps neither. But, if the bottom panel would extend completely towards the front, every panel would have the same cutout.

But, if you did that, you'd always see either the edge of the side or the front panel at the front, and that probably wouldn't look so great.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Here is the technical measurements for the panels. You need 3 different types of corners on the panels.

To keep it simple, you should have each panel of the same corner type, and two of each panels (front + back, left + right, and top + bottom). But honestly you can do whatever you like as long as you make it fit together.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
hey the hack, i love this project. I usualy makes my case out of laser cut mdf and i'll have access to some 3d printers at college now so this gives me lots of ideias :) thanks

Germanese

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2017
What Sicaris said may need to be thought about a bit.
The GPU in that position also generates a pocked of heat uderneath the GPU (Yes i know Hot air raises)
But if most SFF CPU coolers it may suck warm air down to the CPU making the CPU cooling worse by few degrees.

And we all know heat is our SFF worse enemy.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack nice case design, just wondering why you chose that positioning of the GPU rather than closer to the PCIe so you could use a solid reversed riser?

What Sicaris said may need to be thought about a bit.
The GPU in that position also generates a pocked of heat uderneath the GPU (Yes i know Hot air raises)
But if most SFF CPU coolers it may suck warm air down to the CPU making the CPU cooling worse by few degrees.

And we all know heat is our SFF worse enemy.

There was a poll and the community wanted to see a sandwich type case so this will be the showcase for the mod corners.

For this case, it is simpler to use this design as you don't have to worry about a middle board. Using a middle board brings complexity and you have to worry more about which riser you pick. That said a back to back design is more space efficient; this design incurs a .5L penalty.

The case uses a side 92mm fan to bring fresh air to the CPU. It will be limited to weaker GPU so heat shouldn't be a problem.

Warm air rises makes very little effect when you have active cooling by the way.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Right, sorry i should have been more clear, I totally get the orientation you have, in fact I'm very glad to see it because its something I would like to try myself. My query is about the horizontal position of the GPU i.e.

which is roughly what your case has, compared to:

which would allow the use of a solid riser such as this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cie-riser-card_x16-_-9SIA00Y5138161-_-Product

Hope that makes more sense. Its something I have been considering, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Right, sorry i should have been more clear, I totally get the orientation you have, in fact I'm very glad to see it because its something I would like to try myself. My query is about the horizontal position of the GPU i.e.

which is roughly what your case has, compared to:

which would allow the use of a solid riser such as this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...cie-riser-card_x16-_-9SIA00Y5138161-_-Product

Hope that makes more sense. Its something I have been considering, so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have two reasons:

1. I already have the riser I am going to use. It is a simple flexible riser.

2. If I push further I free up space to install an SSD parallel to the GPU.

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Good reasons! I was thinking I would try to mount an ssd to the side vertically next to the solid riser, still not sure of that is the best use of space though.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Good reasons! I was thinking I would try to mount an ssd to the side vertically next to the solid riser, still not sure of that is the best use of space though.

That's a good place to put the SSD. In my case I will be installing an internal PSU so the SSD won't be there.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I like the case idea, although I'd probably be one to set the case vertically upright rather than horizontal.

I'm guessing you'll be putting a MeanWell 300W PSU in the space beside the motherboard? Would go great with a OC'd CPU and a mini GTX 1070.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I like the case idea, although I'd probably be one to set the case vertically upright rather than horizontal.

I'm guessing you'll be putting a MeanWell 300W PSU in the space beside the motherboard? Would go great with a OC'd CPU and a mini GTX 1070.
I'm using a EPP200. Those cards would probably put out too much heat.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Had some test prints. The M3 retainers did not work out, so I don't expect it'll work for FDM printers unless you have a very high end one. It'd be reserved for SLS and I'll leave it as an option.

The goose neck adjustments have been very good for the neck, which avoids causing an imperfect corner so the 2d panels can sit more flush.

I decided to change to a #6-32 tapped screw design as the standard design. It is much more commonly available than self-tapping m3 and comes in many styles and shapes. This design can be tapped by a tap set or by using the screw.

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar
Mar 6, 2017
Do the nuts have to be retained with tabs? Why not just lock 'em in with a dab of glue? I realize this may not be ideal because it could cause a bit of a mess though if not done properly.

EDIT: I made an image to illustrate what I mean. The blue represents glue. Obviously, we'd have to use some pretty strong stuff.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Do the nuts have to be retained with tabs? Why not just lock 'em in with a dab of glue? I realize this may not be ideal because it could cause a bit of a mess though if not done properly.

EDIT: I made an image to illustrate what I mean. The blue represents glue. Obviously, we'd have to use some pretty strong stuff.

Takes more time to assemble, though. I'd personally make it an interference fit.