Production YASFF - Open Source, small(6.4L), basic, low cost. With Source!

kleveland

Efficiency Noob
Mar 6, 2018
I've been considering putting this case together however from XeaLouS's build, he seems to have issues with thermals. I was wondering if @cokeeffekt thinks that having the panels thinner and made of aluminum would help with thermals. Of course the corner printed pieces would have to be adjusted to fit the thinner side panels and front panels.

Reactions: Biowarejak

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
I've been considering putting this case together however from XeaLouS's build, he seems to have issues with thermals. I was wondering if @cokeeffekt thinks that having the panels thinner and made of aluminum would help with thermals. Of course the corner printed pieces would have to be adjusted to fit the thinner side panels and front panels.

Yeh i was curious about the thermal issues @XeaLouS had, i never faced them my self, putting components this close together is always going require tweaking, being more cooling or picking the components better. Differences being is i have a 80mm fan on the side panel blowing across the cpu, adding that was a major factor in design, but does consume an SSD slot, also i used a stock AMD cooler which does not have the side shield on the fan so there is more potential on pulling air in since it does cut it close to the base of the PSU (maybe there is a shroud-less fan that could be used)

Any way would happy to see the tweaks you make if you did manage to get this case together!

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Hi,

I attached an 80mm fan (i did it after the video). I have modified 2.5" drive caddies that enable me to have a fan.
The thermal issues are purely from the GPU, and i suspect that my gpu is at fault, since this design is the same as LZ7 essentially, and no one is complaining about it.

MoeweX

Efficiency Noob
Mar 14, 2018
Hi,

I attached an 80mm fan (i did it after the video). I have modified 2.5" drive caddies that enable me to have a fan.
The thermal issues are purely from the GPU, and i suspect that my gpu is at fault, since this design is the same as LZ7 essentially, and no one is complaining about it.

Hey XeaLouS, is that the SF450 or SF600 PSU? I have been locking for a 3d model of this PSU for quite some time now, can you tell me where you found it?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hey XeaLouS, is that the SF450 or SF600 PSU? I have been locking for a 3d model of this PSU for quite some time now, can you tell me where you found it?

You can easily model a box with the right dimensions and apply a picture of the PSU on each sides. Or well, simply click the links below if sketchup models suit you ;)

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/1f3999c0-7053-4422-9f53-7de6d9a39f64/Corsair-SFX-SF450-PSU
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...f8/Corsair-SFX-SF600-600-watt-80plus-gold-PSU

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Update:
  • the noise was because fan curve was wrong
  • the temp issues were because the case orientation was vertical and i didn't have feet, so the gpu was getting choked.
  • I've updated it in my build thread.
  • TL; DR: case is completely suitable for gpu's, all my testing was user error

BaK handily linked them :)

MoeweX

Efficiency Noob
Mar 14, 2018
You can easily model a box with the right dimensions and apply a picture of the PSU on each sides. Or well, simply click the links below if sketchup models suit you ;)

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/1f3999c0-7053-4422-9f53-7de6d9a39f64/Corsair-SFX-SF450-PSU
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mo...f8/Corsair-SFX-SF600-600-watt-80plus-gold-PSU
Thanks, I found them before and tried them in Fusion360, but I felt like they do not look to nice - at least compared to models like Noctua NH-L12 that could even be used for rendering. I actually use a box to which I attached pictures at the moment, but I thought their might be a better version out there :).

kleveland

Efficiency Noob
Mar 6, 2018
Update:
  • the noise was because fan curve was wrong
  • the temp issues were because the case orientation was vertical and i didn't have feet, so the gpu was getting choked.
  • I've updated it in my build thread.
  • TL; DR: case is completely suitable for gpu's, all my testing was user error

BaK handily linked them :)

I'm curious, what feet did you decide to go with? Or did you print some yourself?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
I'm curious, what feet did you decide to go with? Or did you print some yourself?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8Pcs-3M...orbing-/122046050138?var=&hash=item1c6a82ef5a

These feet are 8mm tall.

I think other cases use 15mm feet? Not sure. I'm using these on the motherboard side of the case, in a horizontal (motherboard closest to ground) orientation. i tried the case on top of a box with the gpu side hanging off it, to see if "infinite" height feet would make any difference. It doesn't.

I haven't tried feet on the vertical (gpu fan facing floor) orientation since i'd need to 3d print some feet that would attach to the edges nicely and i'm not a 3d modeller.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8Pcs-3M...orbing-/122046050138?var=&hash=item1c6a82ef5a

These feet are 8mm tall.

I think other cases use 15mm feet? Not sure. I'm using these on the motherboard side of the case, in a horizontal (motherboard closest to ground) orientation. i tried the case on top of a box with the gpu side hanging off it, to see if "infinite" height feet would make any difference. It doesn't.

I haven't tried feet on the vertical (gpu fan facing floor) orientation since i'd need to 3d print some feet that would attach to the edges nicely and i'm not a 3d modeller.

I used just a thick adhesive foam which i cut to fit the corners of the case, but originally i had planed to use those little button feet as you mentioned.