Production YASFF - Open Source, small(6.4L), basic, low cost. With Source!

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Introduction

My first taste of the small form factor world was the Dell Alienware Alpha it was tiny, this has served me well for the last few years. Now I want more, but I also want a bit of a challenge. I’m a software engineer so open source is always a big thing for me so I thought I have a tackle at an open source computer cases… why not.

Yet Another Small Form Factor YASFF
Simple right, right.

The Source Files!!

The Latest version of the source files are available at the git repo below. Enjoy.

https://github.com/cokeeffekt/yasff

I cant wait to see if anyone deems it worthy of a build.

What is it?

Well it’s a case, with a low cost, fully customisable by you and… small, it needs to be small, thats kinda the point. 6.4L small.

Specifications
  • Volume : 6.4L
  • Dimensions : 188mm Deep * 223mm Wide * 152mm High
Hardware Support
  • ITX motherboard
  • CPU cooler max height ~70mm
  • SFX/SFX-L PSU
  • Full height Graphics card max 140mm tall, 175 long

What low cost means to me. Low cost in every direction, not just the case cost I wan’t to reduce the barrier to entry from every point of view, it needs to support off the shelf ready to purchase hardware, this means standard PSU, standard GFX card and standard motherboards.

Talking money

Less than $100 for everything including shipping, everything.

Yes thats the goal, you will be able to take the files + bom and buy / build this thing for $100, maybe even less depends how creative you get.

EDIT: Its been pointed out the similarity in hardware placement and form factor in with my case and the popular case by @K888D https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lazer3d-lz7-quiet-gaming-cube-pc-case.596/ it wasn't intentional, but i do accept the similarities. Hope i haven't caused any offence, props to @K888D for getting there first.

Last edited:

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
I'm not selling mine, would be the big difference, also its a pretty different case, sure the parts are in similar positions, its going to happen.
Those are two contradictory statements.
Also I'm not sure if @K888D has intellectual property rights, but that is something you need to check.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Those are two contradictory statements.
Also I'm not sure if @K888D has intellectual property rights, but that is something you need to check.

We are both using the same component layout as the CM elite 110, Im sure this isn't anything mind blowingly innovative that hasnt been used in more than a few cases. Happy to discuss this, tho id rather get some feedback ideas and solutions...

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I like the case and the design seems to be working, and i have to say this, update first post with giving credit for design to @K888D, so you end up fair to him. The man runs business and he works hard. We have to respect each other in our community and try to be original. Please dont be offended by this, i only have best intentions.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
I like the case and the design seems to be working, and i have to say this, update first post with giving credit for design to @K888D, so you end up fair to him. The man runs business and he works hard. We have to respect each other in our community and try to be original. Please dont be offended by this, i only have best intentions.
Fair call ill be sure to mention something in the OP

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If he's not selling it, I'm not sure it's a huge deal. While I'm normally the first to jump on a witch hunt for this sort of thing (and will be likely to if this is a for profit endeavour), if it's just for personal use then I'm just keen to see @cokeeffekt 's take on this particular configuration.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I am also curious as to where this infringes on the LZ7. The assembly method of this case is different while the design is around a standard layout that many cube style cases use. Most of the panels and mounting hardware of this case all slide into place except for the corner posts and top and bottom panels. The 2.5" drives are mounted in a completely different location using a different method. The vents of both this case and the LZ7 (standard) are like the ones on the cases by Parvum Systems.

One thing I noticed @cokeeffekt is the lack of mounting areas or openings for externally accessible buttons or ports at the front/top/side of the case somewhere. Looking forward to future updates on YASFF.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks guys, @Kmpkt @Soul_Est finally some support and feedback! The reason why i came.

It's interesting the vent design came up because the one that in there was purely there because it was simple to do, i have a newer design file of the case with a preferred grill/vent design.

As for the power button/led, i'm thinking its going to end up being a vandal switch with an LED in it, still looking for a cost effective solution but i think thats where it will land. Open to suggestions here, i was hoping to find something prewired, and easy to mount.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
I really like that vent design you have there @cokeeffekt . How do the 2.5" HDDs handle being mounted on their side like that? Yeah, power button consideration is hard with vandal switches being the easiest complete solutions to source without additional work.

Yeh it will be interesting to see how noisy it is with a fan behind it.

I ordered a bunch of low cost 80x80x10 fans, a few have shown up. Still waiting for the rest but out of the ones i have received these ones have really come out above the curve for the $1.70 i paid for them. ($8 one i purchased came with a free rattle inside)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/80x80x10...438468&hash=item5d6ee5df42:g:PzQAAOSwSlBYy4Ci

I've plugged 2 in and put a resistor on one of them to slow it down a bit. Im going to leave them run for a few weeks to see how it holds up.

As for the hdd/ssd being mounted on there side there no issue with the orientation for SSD or spinning disk but for stability ill have to wait until the next prototype comes, as i didn't have the idea until the last one was put to together. Should be snug and sturdy tho.

I've ordered the next prototype should be here in the next few days.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yeh it will be interesting to see how noisy it is with a fan behind it.

I ordered a bunch of low cost 80x80x10 fans, a few have shown up. Still waiting for the rest but out of the ones i have received these ones have really come out above the curve for the $1.70 i paid for them. ($8 one i purchased came with a free rattle inside)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/80x80x10...438468&hash=item5d6ee5df42:g:PzQAAOSwSlBYy4Ci

I've plugged 2 in and put a resistor on one of them to slow it down a bit. Im going to leave them run for a few weeks to see how it holds up.

As for the hdd/ssd being mounted on there side there no issue with the orientation for SSD or spinning disk but for stability ill have to wait until the next prototype comes, as i didn't have the idea until the last one was put to together. Should be snug and sturdy tho.

I've ordered the next prototype should be here in the next few days.
Excellent to see that you're moving on to the prototyping phase. i hope your first prototype build goes well with everything fitting as it should.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
My initial thought was that it was similar to the LZ7, but there's no way there's copyright infringment. It's open source using a standardized layout with novel mounting methods, construction process, and grill design. All while in a smaller footprint. And did I mention open source? That's awesome :p I mean I'm glad I haven't posted my case design if people are going to jump on the 3D printed corners. Sheesh. That said, good on you for giving credit :) I'll be sure to, when it comes time.

My main concern is the acoustics of the grill and rigidity of the frame, but only time will tell. :)

-edit-

Not a lawyer, but still

Last edited:

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Second round prototype got dropped off today, in order to make it a bit cheaper i asked for any colour acrylic.... clear showed up. Not overly happy with that but i did say any colour to keep the cost down. I printed out the uprights for this revision of the design and got to assembly.

Flat packed, 4 slotted uprights 3 side panels in 3mm, top/back/base in 4.5mm. I pre-mounted a fan.

All up-rights installed to base plate. back and side panels slide down into place.

HDD and SSD secured to their hangers. This was really the only part that stood out as a flaw in my design, i allowed to much tolerance for the laser cut and the F slot doesn't fit a snug as id like, wont be hard to fix, but i also realise there is enough room to mount them vertically so i might change the bracket to make that an option.

You can see here what i mean there is way too much movement in this.

SFX PSU loaded in, that back plate with the uprights make for sturdy construction even while hanging there like that.

Fully assembled. Looking good, although i think i might go hit these clear sheets with a can of satin black spray-paint.

For a second round prototype i'm happy with the results, i was a little frustrated with the turn around time from the laser cutter, between quoting, waiting for replies, delays, waiting for payment to clear, waiting to cut and having the time to pick it up... a week had past. I'm used much quicker turn around time in my line of work.... So in all the down time i ordered a laser cutter for my self, hopefully ill have that setup and ready for the next prototype, another toy for my fab house :D

The files still aren't release ready, but ill get all the design files on Github soon as i move out of the development stage.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Right, so thanks to my new laser cutter i have my last prototype. It was a bit of a slog getting the laser cutter set up, but its all smooth sailing from here.

Here it is in my final finish of choice. Satin black.

The case is really starting to look like a nice polished piece of kit. Im looking forward to getting the files uploaded to Github in the next few days. The only thing i'm questioning is the finish on the 3d printed uprights, i may need to get a 3rd party to use a hires printer to be happy with it, but once uploaded you can do with them as you wish.

Ill upload some more photos with hardware installed soon.