Prototype SFX/FLEX LSR 6.4L 3D Printed Case.

TechFerret

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 26, 2023

First of all I will start by saying that I have posted in a few knowledgeable forums before (but not here) in the hopes of finding feedback and suggestions to improve this project, I have received many valuable and important insights from other people, so if you have any design suggestions or criticisms then please feel free to tell me, for me, it’s very valuable and has proven to be a great resource.

Project Description:

This project has been in the works on and off for few a years now, it’s a design I consistently keep coming back to and revisiting, so I though I would try one last time to get it right. In summery it’s a sub 10L SFF case (6.4L) that has dual slot Mini-ITX GPU support, it can support two different PSU configurations, a FLEX-ATX configuration that will allow for the use of most stock intel heat-sinks (and all other SFF heat-sinks) and an SFX configuration that is tight but still plenty usable, I have tested the SFX configuration with low-profile Noctua heat-sinks and it preforms well.

Design Intent and design rules:

The design intent for this project was focused exclusively around hobbyist tools and resources, the entire case can be 3D-printed, including the side panels if you wish, on any Ender or i3 style printer with a 220x220 max bed size. I felt it was important to make this case modular, and use many frame parts rather than one single printed frame, as this allows for greater design flexibility due to the varying geometry of each part being optimized differently for 3D Printing. The design files include DXF files for laser-cutting the side panels out of any 3mm material of choice, or, STL files for 3D printing the side panels that has been optimized using grids for low material usage and increased printability, the design files also include two rear-frame files for the use of either SFX or FLEX-ATX PSU’s.

Air-filtration was also prioritized in my project as I feel it can often times be overlooked despite its great utility, so this case was designed very much with it in mind, in fact it ends up contributing a lot to the final look of the case as I didn’t want to try and hide it. The front-frame of the case is held magnetically and can be removed for easy access to the front air intake filter for very easy cleaning of any dust that may have built up over time, this design also has "light pipes" that guide LED light light to the two small holes at the bottom of the case from the bottom frame part, this is for Power and HDD activity.

These features can be seen in the renders I have included as well as the photos of the real prototype I have included.

CAD and Renders:

This case was designed in Fusion360, despite 360 being parametric this design is not, and was instead made using the direct modelling mode.
Here are some renders of the case, I have included a few different rendered configurations, these are Black and Orange, and I have a Galaxy Black and Walnut version.

Completed Prototype Pictures:
Sorry for the potato quality, I have quite an old phone and it's not the best at taking nice photos.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
1. What is the design airflow path?
There are only 2 case fans, one 120 and one 60 both in the front, as intake. Correct?

2. Front filter seems dense. (BTW, strangely, I cannot see all your pics in Imgur, which should show a higher resolution original?)

3. Why use black for side panels in the honey hive orange theme? Why not have a 'full' orange theme? Too much orange?

4. For the two side panels' vent openings, why not use bee hive hexagon design? Would make the design more consistent, I suppose.

5. As a final touch, might put a few of these toys as ultimate decor.

Reactions: rfarmer

TechFerret

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jun 26, 2023
1. What is the design airflow path?
There are only 2 case fans, one 120 and one 60 both in the front, as intake. Correct?

2. Front filter seems dense. (BTW, strangely, I cannot see all your pics in Imgur, which should show a higher resolution original?)

3. Why use black for side panels in the honey hive orange theme? Why not have a 'full' orange theme? Too much orange?

4. For the two side panels' vent openings, why not use bee hive hexagon design? Would make the design more consistent, I suppose.

5. As a final touch, might put a few of these toys as ultimate decor.
1. The fans on the front are all intake, the main 120mm fan pushes air over the motherboard, CPU heatsinks and FET's, this is exhausted out the back and top of the case, the two smaller 60mm fans at the bottom push air past the GPU and this vents out the cutouts at the side.

2. it's surprisingly breathable, I to was worried it was to dense at first but they can still push a surprising amount of air. Oh I will have a look at my imgur settings.

3. yeah exactly, I felt like orange side panels would have been a bit to much, and it wouldn't have colour matched either, so I just decided to go for classic black.

4. I did consider it, but like the colour I wanted to mix it up a bit, something to break the design up a bit and to add some variation.

5. haha I might have to do that.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I can (unusually) see the Imgur files, this is a good looking and well thought out case with the major benefit of offering an SFX PSU mount as well as Flex ATX.
I am still to be convinced that an affordable Flex ATX PSU can be quiet, when something 'better' can be had if you choose a larger PSU.

Getting it all in sub 7L is impressive! This looks to be aimed at MSI Aero ITX sized cards or the half height RTX A2000 that is understandably popular round here these days.

Good work!

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
This is my favorite style of itx case, a simple cube. Looks nice! Do you plan to make the files available?

For improvements, it could be interesting to try to support the HDPlex 250W GaN unit (and perhaps the 500W as well).