Production YASFF - Open Source, small(6.4L), basic, low cost. With Source!

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Rip, the local (free) 3d printing/laser cutting place is closed till march. and i just ordered all the acrylic/wood/screws that i needed to build it!

Ahhh thats awesome that you are going to to build this, please post your build when you get to it, excited to see it.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
How did you attach the standoffs to the acrylic? i'm guessing that they are 6mm long (4.5mm acrylic on the bottom) so you could use hex nuts on the other side? Or did you epoxy/etc it?

Also would the case be fine in a different orientation (sideways, with cpu cooler hanging sideways, gpu fans facing towards floor). Just wondering since that would reduce the desk footprint by quite a bit and it would still look decent.

Reactions: Biowarejak

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
How did you attach the standoffs to the acrylic? i'm guessing that they are 6mm long (4.5mm acrylic on the bottom) so you could use hex nuts on the other side? Or did you epoxy/etc it?

Also would the case be fine in a different orientation (sideways, with cpu cooler hanging sideways, gpu fans facing towards floor). Just wondering since that would reduce the desk footprint by quite a bit and it would still look decent.

You use m3 press thread inserts or in my case i find that m3 nut-serts do really good job, there are 2 holes in the uprights. Its fairly simple, put the nut-sert/thread insert onto the tip of your soldering iron and push them into place. Be quick you don't want your part to melt anymore than to allow a good bond to the nut-sert. I have been meaning on writing build instructions ill get around to it soon.

As for running it sideways, there is no real issue i had it side way while i was doing a little thermal testing, both ways are fine the angles on the uprights allow air to move out, although id be going GPU up since it will be your primary heat source and you will want as little restriction as you can. Could do with some better feet for mounting it sideways, i might cad some up and put them in the git repo.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
You use m3 press thread inserts or in my case i find that m3 nut-serts do really good job, there are 2 holes in the uprights. Its fairly simple, put the nut-sert/thread insert onto the tip of your soldering iron and push them into place. Be quick you don't want your part to melt anymore than to allow a good bond to the nut-sert. I have been meaning on writing build instructions ill get around to it soon.
Ah, i figured out that the nut-serts went into the holes but couldnt figure out how to adhere them. Soldering-iron to melt the abs makes a lot of sense.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Here's some images of some 200micron fdm. It turned out nicely, and was $25aud for 8 pieces (enough for 2 cases) or $17 aud for 4 pieces (enough for 1 case). It seems pretty strong, but no laser cutter until march :( Will post a build log... in 4 months time.

Using some 2.7mm plywood that I happened to have lying around when I did a test cut a while back.

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Here's some images of some 200micron fdm. It turned out nicely, and was $25aud for 8 pieces (enough for 2 cases) or $17 aud for 4 pieces (enough for 1 case). It seems pretty strong, but no laser cutter until march :( Will post a build log... in 4 months time.

Using some 2.7mm plywood that I happened to have lying around when I did a test cut a while back.

Woo someone committed :D nice work.... oh and you speak in aud? where are you... i'm in bris...

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Does this method work for the brass Mobo standoffs? Just wondering, not sure if acrylic melts so good compared to ABS

It doesn't really melt just goes flexible with heat and burns if its too hot. although i never tried it, from working with acrylic and heat in the past id say it wont work, but you never know until you try it i guess.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Does this method work for the brass Mobo standoffs? Just wondering, not sure if acrylic melts so good compared to ABS
You can take a standoff with a soldering iron and push it through the acrylic. The acrylic will meld around the threads and essentially tap it.

Edit: I've done this for cable management in my first parvum systems case.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
It doesn't really melt just goes flexible with heat and burns if its too hot. although i never tried it, from working with acrylic and heat in the past id say it wont work, but you never know until you try it i guess.
So i'm guessing you attached standoffs via nut on the outside panel?

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
umm no i used a standard standoff spacer with out the male thread on it. and just used a m3 screw from the other side.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
umm no i used a standard standoff spacer with out the male thread on it. and just used a m3 screw from the other side.

mobo is 1.6mm thick
standoff spacer is 5mm thick
acrylic is 4.5mm thick

Total stack height is 11.1mm. in the parts list you wrote 6mm m3's. I'm guessing there's a little bit of give? Alternatively a 1-2 thin nylon washers could also be added (between standoff and acrylic and acrylic and bottom screw)?

Last edited:

cokeeffekt

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
mobo is 1.6mm thick
standoff spacer is 5mm thick
acrylic is 4.5mm thick

Total stack height is 11.1mm. in the parts list you wrote 6mm m3's. I'm guessing there's a little bit of give? Alternatively a 1-2 thin nylon washers could also be added (between standoff and acrylic and acrylic and bottom screw)?

i just had a look to confirm but the standoffs listed are 5mm m3 qty 4. the back plate is made to support 5mm from the base plate to the motherboard (yes lower standoff than a typical setup (still fits nvme)).

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
i just had a look to confirm but the standoffs listed are 5mm m3 qty 4. the back plate is made to support 5mm from the base plate to the motherboard (yes lower standoff than a typical setup (still fits nvme)).
Cool! I linked the wrong image (thought it was 5mm standoffs rather than 5mm female-female spacers) so i'll update that and give u a git pull request...

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
How did you mount the PSU? It's 4.5mm acrylic and the default screws are only 5mm long! Where did you source longer screws?

Last edited: