What games are you playing?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, after achieving level 60 in Fallout 4, there is not much left for me to do until the DLC hits. So I knew I still had some games left unplayed which I bought a while ago. Apparently I bought Tomb Raider in a summer sale 2 years ago, so I decided to man up and play it. Damn, it's good, I should have played this 2 years ago...

But because I still have two other unplayed games in my library (SOMA and The Talos Principle), I will try to not buy more games unless it's an absolute steal. Wolfenstein: The New Order seems like a steal at € 7,49.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Anybody looking to buy some games during the Steam Winter Sales?

I'm considering the following games
GTA V
Witcher 3
Ori and teh Blind Forest
Crypt of the Necrodancer

Be warned with GTA V if you want to play Multiplayer. A lot of people had unfixable issues with the multiplayer crashing after a few minutes of play. Some things work for some people but not for others, nobody really knows what the problem is. This was in September, mind you, so maybe all of it has been fixed, but as some people experienced this from launch until then I wouldn't count on it being fixed.

Personally, I don't have anything particular in mind for the Winter Sales, all my gaming time budget is consumed by RocketLeague. And during a free day after Christmas I'll probably play through The Beginners Guide in one or two sittings, so that's all I need.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Anybody looking to buy some games during the Steam Winter Sales?

I'm considering the following games
GTA V
Witcher 3
Ori and teh Blind Forest
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Picked up Legend of Heroes, Undertale, Distance and The Talos Principle. Considering picking up the DS Final Fantasy ports, maybe near the end of the sale.

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I was thinking about Undertale but I watched 2 let's plays of it, so maybe next year when I can't remember the story anymore :p

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Fallout 4 is very good! Been playing a lot of that, and I also completed fez the other day

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I finished Tomb Raider, which I enjoyed very much. I skipped Tomb Raider games in the past because they were frustratingly hard and I don't care much for pixel-boobs. But this reboot was a really good game with excellent gameplay, with maybe a tad too much of female panting cries of pain from the main protaganist, even though she seems indestructible with all the wounds and lascerations she has endured off-gameplay. I'm very much looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider that is supposed to drop in on the PC platform in February.

Next stop: The Talos Principle, another sale item I picked up in a previous Summer Sale.
I'm probably getting these in the Winter Sale: Murdered: Soul Suspect and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Enjoy the sweet, juicy sandbox that is Los Santos. My only regret is that Rockstar's entire game-expanding efforts are 99,9% focused on GTA Online which I feel is more of a chore than a game.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Enjoy the sweet, juicy sandbox that is Los Santos. My only regret is that Rockstar's entire game-expanding efforts are 99,9% focused on GTA Online which I feel is more of a chore than a game.

I've enjoyed every GTA so far. Thankfully this iteration doesn't have the old 'play the game to unlock islands' - all the map is open from the beginning.

I've only really been playing online - just messing around in a sandbox is my favourite kind of gaming

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I've only really been playing online - just messing around in a sandbox is my favourite kind of gaming

Can't say I agree wholeheartedly, but at least with GTA, messing around in online is way more fun to me than messing around in single player.

BTW, I just finished The Beginner's Guide, and would say that you absolutely have to play it if you get a chance to. It is such a great game, unlike anything you have ever played (even unlike The Stanely Parable), but after playing it I fear of the creator reading this.

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
Discovered this Elite: Dangerous by accident: https://www.elitedangerous.com/

If anyone needs me I'll be hauling cargo in my Cobra XD

See you in out there, Commanders!

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Finished The Last of Us and the DLC last week. Excellent game that puts a lot of what comes out on PC these days to shame.

Finally started up Witcher 3 - only 9 months after it came out! At least I finally got the monitor I wanted to play it with.. :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Discovered this Elite: Dangerous by accident: https://www.elitedangerous.com/

If anyone needs me I'll be hauling cargo in my Cobra XD

See you in out there, Commanders!
Elite: Dangerous looks amazing, but it also looks like a huge time-sink, just like EVE Online. Does it indeed demand a lot of time invested ?
I liked Free Space as a space combat game, because it was relatively straight-forward and you could get your dog-fight on in a snap.

These kinds of games are excellent for VR, it'll probably be the way to play Star Citizen.

I just started Dying Light - The Following. Apparently I bought the one with the Season Pass in the past (during a sale) and after realising it's played seperately (Menu --> Play --> The Following, not Menu --> Continue), I finally arrived in the grassfields riddled with zombies.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I really want to get into Elite: Dangerous but I too fear of sinking too much time into it.

One game I can recommend is Jazzpunk. Can't really explain what it actually is, I guess its sort of a story-driven constrained exploration adventure? But if you are an electrical engineer or computer science guy, you'll absolutely love the puns.

This Surfboard? Oh yeah it like, cost me a lot, because it's like, double-sided.

Pure gold.

Also, if you have a brother, sister, fiancé, spouse you want to play a couch co-op game with, buy Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. It looks all cute and fun on the surface, but can actually become quite challenging and is certainly an awful lot of fun.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I've been abducted by Infinifactory. It's pure genius that the game displays a histogram of everyone else's scores and compels you to squeeze "just one more attempt" to beat or at least match their score... Fortunately, any frustration you feel is self-inflicted.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Oh yeah I've seen infinifactory, too. Another game that I would probably sink countless hours into. Just the basic concept of it is so great, it's basically all I liked about redstone in minecraft but on steroids and with challenges.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Elite Dangerous is super lame and a super disappointment in my opinion. I know that is an incendiary statement, but there it is. I loved most of the games in the Elite series, and also alot of the games in the X series, but Elite there really is nothing to do, slowly, for the SAKE of slow. They do NAIL the ships though--the sounds are some of the best I have heard in a game and there are parts to combat that can be fun especially with friends. I LOVE the sound filter for the voice chat! Some of my friends are enjoying E.D. but they don't have a frame of reference for anything else like it.

The Escape Velocity series will always be my favorite space traders because of the wonderful and colorful universe that is easy to explore, but if you like flight sim thrown in then X is pretty good. I'm holding my breath for SC and Endless Sky looks pretty chill.

----

Infinifactory looks like a box of fun, I'll have to check it out...

----

I'm playing (as usual)

• Civ V (I could probably have a PhD in something by now if not for this infernal game)
  • Mechwarrior Online (What my friends and I default to. Many aspects of this game are terrible but there is no substitute.)
  • Casual Rotation - Fallout 4
Next on my list is Divinity O.S. Enhanced Edition

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Elite Dangerous is super lame and a super disappointment in my opinion. I know that is an incendiary statement, but there it is. I loved most of the games in the Elite series, and also alot of the games in the X series, but Elite there really is nothing to do, slowly, for the SAKE of slow. They do NAIL the ships though--the sounds are some of the best I have heard in a game and there are parts to combat that can be fun especially with friends. I LOVE the sound filter for the voice chat! Some of my friends are enjoying E.D. but they don't have a frame of reference for anything else like it.

That is a valid opinion, and I've seen a few people express disappointment because of that, but as the atmosphere is there, I could certainly enjoy it. I'll probably be one of the people to just cruise around endlessly, exploring system after system. That's what I did in TDU, that's what I'd do in space. I've heard people call it Space Truck Simulator, and I guess that's certainly to true to some extent.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Towerfall Ascension and Towerfall Darkworld, Skull Girls, Forced, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine, HammerWatch, The Talos Principle, Psychonauts, Little Racers Street, Portal, Portal 2, Half-Life, and Half-Life 2. I have many more in my Steam library but my current gaming computer cannot handle them.