What did you do today?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
If you're hammering, and not touch typing...most switches will feel very similar whether they're tactile/clicky or linear or rubber dome. As you're bottoming out every keypress rather than letting up (before bottoming out). Most people tend to hammer...a matter made more common because people use rubber-dome keyboards long passed the point where the rubber has hardened and is very stiff.
IBM Model M uses buckling spring switches, thats why I "hammer". Its a habit thats hard to break.

"Touch typing" refers to the typing system, not "gentle touch".

On a regular, my left hand does touch-typing, while my right hand does something like a 2 - 4 half touch typing system. Its only when I need to focus fully on eg. work, that I can "temporarly level up" to full touch typing.

But by now I figured out the actual cause of my discomfort: its the keycap height in combination with the very cramped key alignment, not the switches per se. The switches merely add to the "feels awkward" experience. It'd probably work out pretty well with low profile keycaps and less cramped key spacing (but that could also be caused by the keycap height).

Currently I am very happy with the RK 98 and its tactile, non-clicky switches - except for the space bar, but thats a common topic.
Am now looking into both pre-built keyboards with a general low profile layout, but also into low-profile keycaps. Might get into the "build your very extremely customized keyboard" topic just for this 😱 😅 😎

For now I'm just keycap hunting for the RK98 - the white + dark blue color scheme is lovely, and the caps are awesome, but the medium brown "just not really yellow" color of the Enter keys and the Escape key do annoy me, esp. during night / dark, it just doesnt look very nice no matter to which background color I change.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
IBM Model M uses buckling spring switches, thats why I "hammer". Its a habit thats hard to break.

"Touch typing" refers to the typing system, not "gentle touch".

On a regular, my left hand does touch-typing, while my right hand does something like a 2 - 4 half touch typing system. Its only when I need to focus fully on eg. work, that I can "temporarly level up" to full touch typing.

But by now I figured out the actual cause of my discomfort: its the keycap height in combination with the very cramped key alignment, not the switches per se. The switches merely add to the "feels awkward" experience. It'd probably work out pretty well with low profile keycaps and less cramped key spacing (but that could also be caused by the keycap height).

Currently I am very happy with the RK 98 and its tactile, non-clicky switches - except for the space bar, but thats a common topic.
Am now looking into both pre-built keyboards with a general low profile layout, but also into low-profile keycaps. Might get into the "build your very extremely customized keyboard" topic just for this 😱 😅 😎

For now I'm just keycap hunting for the RK98 - the white + dark blue color scheme is lovely, and the caps are awesome, but the medium brown "just not really yellow" color of the Enter keys and the Escape key do annoy me, esp. during night / dark, it just doesnt look very nice no matter to which background color I change.

cu, w0lf.

For lower keycaps profile still on normal cherry MX stem, you can consider X DA, DSA, ASA-low, G20, XVX. Take note that some are flat & some are sculpted. DSA might not have homing bumps.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Remember kids, whenever doing AIO test fits out of boredom: Clean off all surfaces BEFOREHAND!
I managed to throughly cover the mainboard and parts of the case frame with lots of leftover NT-H2. Oh, and probably added some noice pattern scratches, too 😅 😎

Oh, and I did cooking on the sidelines. What now is noodles + a spinache with asort vegs cream sauce, is gonna be tomorrows casserole :D

cu, w0lf.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
First time I've bought keyboard switches as standalone packs, they're Kailh Choc low profile in red. But they're not for keyboards- these are going into custom, portable lever-less fighting game controllers that I'll be 3D printing the enclosures to. The prints came out looking very good, albeit bottom layers a tad squished. Now I'm just testing the button caps and switches for feel and will be programming my first controller for it later this week. I want to get back into fighting games so why not incorporate another hobby into it.
I've been wanting to set up a retro arcade machine for some time, but I wanted to keep it relatively simple. I can't sink myself into another big project. With that in mind, I've now got an Atari arcade fightstick in the house, and a Lattepanda Delta 3 on the way for emulation. I've got an old Raspberry Pi 2 running Retropie that I bought and set up years ago, but this will be a massive step up. Of course the arcade stick itself will get a few modifications, because I can't fight my nature, but they will be pretty straightforward. Mostly additional USB ports and such.
Looks like we got similar projects in mind. I have the Delta 3 myself and it is great for emulation all the way up to Wii. It's mostly unused now but can easily work for some light PC games as well.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
This was a few days ago. Nevertheless, it was cool.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Checked in on a friend, visiting family, submitted some paperwork, decided on what phone to get (Google Pixel 8), and looking into incorporating a business.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
How do headphone drivers fail ? My current pair is atleast 15 years old and still sound excellent.

Reactions: ignsvn

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've never experienced this outside of mechanical failure like ripped diaphragm or torn suspension. I expect you mean something else. So do they just stop producing sound or have horrible sound ?