What games are you playing?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I have not. After the last Steam sale and disappointment over most of the purchased games not running on my hardware, I decided to focus on what I can run at decent framerates. This game looks amazing. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for a Linux/SteamOS release (maybe) as I run Arch Linux on almost every computer I own.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The Witness is made by fellow who made Braid, but I don't want to try it yet personally... too many other things and I'm not in the mood for a puzzle-centric game.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
The Escape Velocity series will always be my favorite space traders because of the wonderful and colorful universe that is easy to explore,

I dont even care to count how many hours i sunk into escape velocity and escape velocity: override. Ambrosia SW outdid themselves with those two games

Reactions: Josh | NFC

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
Elite: Dangerous looks amazing, but it also looks like a huge time-sink, just like EVE Online. Does it indeed demand a lot of time invested ?

I really want to get into Elite: Dangerous but I too fear of sinking too much time into it.

I've never played EVE and I've heard conflicting opinions about if it's more to less of a time sink. Regardless, it is a time sink. The galaxy is absolutely enormous!

That is a valid opinion, and I've seen a few people express disappointment because of that, but as the atmosphere is there, I could certainly enjoy it. I'll probably be one of the people to just cruise around endlessly, exploring system after system. That's what I did in TDU, that's what I'd do in space. I've heard people call it Space Truck Simulator, and I guess that's certainly to true to some extent.
I'm loving doing exactly that. Trading my way though batches of systems, exploring and getting more understanding of what each system does and so how to exploit it for trading.

After about 3-4 hours I'd racked up enough Cr's to buy a second ship for bounty hunting. One of the things I really love about it, which I except is somewhat polarising, is that it doesn't hold your hand at all. You literally get a loan ship and 1000Cr, what you do with it is up to you.

This also has the interesting side effect that there are loads of online companion tools that you can use to help you on whatever you decide to do, be it trading, exploring, piracy, bounty hunting...sort of like a galaxy sized choose-your-own-adventure. :)

Reactions: iFreilicht

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Basically the 2 games I'm waiting for (both for Linux):

Unreal Tournament 2015: Well, sunk hundreds if not thousands of hours playing the first UT.

Umbra: I really wish Path of Exile could have a Linux port. Umbra is the closest thing to POE on Linux.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'm holding off of diving into Elite until I can do it in VR reliably. Frontier are still mucking about getting Direct Mode implemented, so VR is a bit of a dirty hack unless you have a Vive devkit (either use an SDK switcher and have to swap out GPU drivers to avoid bugs, or use SteamVR as an abstraction layer and take the performance hit, as well as needing to add a custom 75Hz mode to your main monitor).

At the moment I'm playing Xcom 2. Fixes some of the usability issues of the first (e.g. upgraded armour is distributed automatically to everyone), but still has plenty of the bugs of the first. 21:9 support is mostly working now (UI elements and selection areas match up in all but the 'base' screen), but you still have the old standbys of inputs ocassionally 'missing' front UI elements triggering moves/actions in the square behind that element, occasional double-inputs causing spurious actions or exiting menus, random animation loading pauses, animations playing offscreen because the camera flew across the map to focus on something else, etc. You pretty much need to save at the start of every turn in case a bug screws you over.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah Xcom 2 seems to be a great TBS, but it's one of those games that will be even better in a year, maybe earlier, after not only most of the bugs have been fixed but when modders start publishing the first really good content extenders.

BF4 has very nicely aged from what I've heard as well. DICE LA really made a promising start with fixing that game, and it just goes to show how much you can gain by being a "patient gamer".

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
In the last month I've played through:
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, which was alright, if a bit forgettable. Gameplay is pretty simple rock-paper-scissors stuff, and the campaign is fairly short. Nice art style and production values. 7/10

The Witness, which I finished entirely without looking anything up, short of a couple of the hidden environment puzzles. Found it very enjoyable for the first 20 hours or so, but trying to find all the environment puzzles did get fatiguing after a while. Also, never finished "The Challenge," because screw time-limited random puzzles, which are pure masochism IMO and are a complete 180 from the rest of the game. The island and its various locations is gorgeously realized, though. An 8/10 game for me.

Currently playing XCOM 2. It's awfully buggy right now, though not game-breakingly so (most of the time). I'm actually surprised they released it in its current state - it feels like it needs another couple months in the oven. Lots of broken/missing animations and odd pauses. Still a good game though, being very much like the previous entries, and quite addictive, though missions do start to feel a bit repetitive after a while. I'd give it an 8/10 if not for the bugs. As it is, if you're on the fence about it I'd say wait until they've patched some of the more glaring bugs.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm still chopping up zombies and crushing them in large quantities in my buggy with Dying Light - The Following. I've read some negative reviews but I really can't find anything wrong with the game. If anything, I see myself playing this for a while to uncover the rest of the map.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Sunk hundred of hours in Terraria and Starbound too. Playing that kind of game in multiplayer often results in restless night: « Damned, the sun is rising XD »

I haven't played Starbound since the very very early days - essentially when it was first available for play. Looking forward to playing it again and seeing how drastically it has all changed. Originally I was waiting for the Novakid release, but I figured I'd give it more time and that has now long since passed.

Currently playing Witcher 3, slowly, on Deathmarch. Meeting expectations so far, though the movement controls feel odd.. it's been so long since Witcher 2 so I can't recall exactly, but they feel a bit worse, possibly due to revamped animations.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
In addition to Infinifactory, I'm also working through Lego Batman 3 with my 6-yo son. We'd probably go faster if I didn't feel the compulsion to collect as many studs as possible along the way during the first playthrough.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
In addition to Infinifactory, I'm also working through Lego Batman 3 with my 6-yo son. We'd probably go faster if I didn't feel the compulsion to collect as many studs as possible along the way during the first playthrough.

I've had the same issue with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. A level takes about 15-25min when you're just going for 5 friends, but if you want to collect all 10 it can take 45min. The problem is that if you die, you restart the level, just like games used to do it. So without the upgrades you unlock later, you take longer to do the level AND your chances of dying at the end increase. Learned that the hard way.

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
After about a 3-4 year hiatus from gaming altogether, I'm trying to catch up on some titles. Just bought the BioShock trilogy, Skyrim, and I've started playing League of Legends again. Still need to play through the new StarCraft II and World of Warcraft expansions as well.

Reactions: zillatron

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Anyone on here play Rivals Of Aether? I know its still pretty new and indie but it seems to be picking up momentum.. I mean theres alot of Super Smash Bros fans in the world..

I just finished Witcher 3, so amazing! I'm kinda sad the story is over lol I got kinda attached. Might even go for the expansions..

Thinking of either Assassins Creed Syndicate, Fallout 4, Farcry Primal, or Tomb Raider for my next rpg, what do you guys suggest I get first from the list?