Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Look at this cute little guy!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Tied up a few loose ends at work to start my vacation time properly. Sent a message to Valve support on a request for refund ticket (opened Dec 6) explicitly stating that I would like a refund for the Steam Deck OLED 512GB. Took the car into the get the trim for the windshield replace. I think I misplaced my ring that I got from a friend. Hung out with family during the day. Played some more art of rally and Hades. Found out from Valve support that my request for refund was denied as it's outside of the 14 days (despite having submitted the ticket describing the issue days in advance).

Overall it has been decided meh.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Tied up a few loose ends at work to start my vacation time properly. Sent a message to Valve support on a request for refund ticket (opened Dec 6) explicitly stating that I would like a refund for the Steam Deck OLED 512GB. Took the car into the get the trim for the windshield replace. I think I misplaced my ring that I got from a friend. Hung out with family during the day. Played some more art of rally and Hades. Found out from Valve support that my request for refund was denied as it's outside of the 14 days (despite having submitted the ticket describing the issue days in advance).

Overall it has been decided meh.
Whelp, after going back and stating that I had opened the ticket as a refund request, my request was granted. Yesterday, I hung out with a friend all day.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well this has been a fun last 3 days....my 3 year old wifi router kicked the bucket, so replaced it. Then on midnight New Years, my weather station stopped connecting to wifi (SSIDs and passwords were the same). Did I say fun? I meant expensive.

I will say...this TPLink Archer BE800 runs circles around my Netgear RAX80 nighthawk. The firmware and responsiveness in the setup GUI is a million times better. And it was 20% off, to make a sore point a bit better.

Last edited:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
How this work week has gone:
Monday: Blizzard, PTO from work, play video games 😄
Tuesday: remote work, because still blizzard
Wednesday: in-office
Thursday: in office
Friday: Blizzard, took PTO, make home made cinnamon-raisin bread, play video games 😁
(Monday: Paid Holiday)

Glad all my shit crapped the bed last week--I'm not going anywhere the next 4 days. 10-20cm of new snow and windchills of -40. 🤪

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
How this work week has gone:
Monday: Blizzard, PTO from work, play video games 😄
Tuesday: remote work, because still blizzard
Wednesday: in-office
Thursday: in office
Friday: Blizzard, took PTO, make home made cinnamon-raisin bread, play video games 😁
(Monday: Paid Holiday)

Glad all my shit crapped the bed last week--I'm not going anywhere the next 4 days. 10-20cm of new snow and windchills of -40. 🤪
I thought our weather was bad with sub 0 temps but at least we didn't get the snow. At least you had the chance to play some video games.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
What I did today:
- neodym magnets arrived and I played around with putting them on the unmounted panels and top-front of the S400. now I can build a case without its content, because those things stick like .. well, magnets XD
- turned yesterdays dinner into todays dinner (magick noddle casserole)
- .. not finish my job, because my replacement keyboard for the replacement keyboard is missing a few VERY important keys REQUIRED for web development; thus I dug dip into "key remapping on Linux" and then finally decided to call it quits and just use the keyboard of the streaming system for now, while .. TOMORROW, we gonna finally clean up my actual keyboard (which I havent cleaned for like ... 4 - 5 years?), the Logitech G710 with MX Blue Switches
- figuring out what desk mat / extremely oversized mousepad I want to get for the nearby future (turns out, buying a cowboy bebop-themed one is like .. really hard; but fear not, there are options, eg. custom designed ones)

Yeah, thats it for today, mostly.

cu, w0lf.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
I've been wanting to set up a retro arcade machine for some time, but I wanted to keep it relatively simple. I can't sink myself into another big project. With that in mind, I've now got an Atari arcade fightstick in the house, and a Lattepanda Delta 3 on the way for emulation. I've got an old Raspberry Pi 2 running Retropie that I bought and set up years ago, but this will be a massive step up. Of course the arcade stick itself will get a few modifications, because I can't fight my nature, but they will be pretty straightforward. Mostly additional USB ports and such.

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, the fightstick did arrive last weekend. I've been messing around with it using my current Raspberry Pi setup, as well as my PC with MAME. My ISP noticed the huge amount of data used when I downloaded the full MAME ROM set, haha. I spent a little time getting everything organized using Launchbox and I've been having a great time. The fightstick itself is outstanding for the price, and I'm really wishing I picked one up a few years back. I've got a game plan for mods and have a few parts already inbound!

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
Well, the fightstick did arrive last weekend. I've been messing around with it using my current Raspberry Pi setup, as well as my PC with MAME. My ISP noticed the huge amount of data used when I downloaded the full MAME ROM set, haha. I spent a little time getting everything organized using Launchbox and I've been having a great time. The fightstick itself is outstanding for the price, and I'm really wishing I picked one up a few years back. I've got a game plan for mods and have a few parts already inbound!

How much data

Animation Smile GIF by renderfruit

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Just ordered two keyboards in different sizes and different switches, to test them out. Apparently both work well with Linux, too.
One is the Keychron V2 Pro 75%, with tactile switches, the other one is the GMMK 2 Pro 96% with linear switches (Glorious Fox).

Its a deviation from my regular switch choice, ie. clicky (read: MX Blue), because recently I've been using a low profile Sharkoon TKL keyboard as a replacement option for my former main keyboard, the Logitech G710, and those switches are somewhere in-between classic clicky and classic ThinkPad notebook (butterfly) scissor switches.

Background is, that I've been feeling like my accuracy of hitting keys has reduced somewhat, but it could also be that because I've increased typing speed in general, the clicky bump might be reducing the amount of actuation force, and thus, maybe non-clicky or even linear switches might be a better choice.

Also, the TLK test didnt work out too well, my muscle memory expects the num block "End" key right above the cursor keys, and I so often have this effect of "hitting the mouse or into air", instead of hitting the End key (which isnt there obviously), that it has started to extremely annoy me. It breaks my focus, and thus ..

.. I already got a 96% layout keyboard, but its lacking the German layout, which includes the big Enter key, and also, keys are slightly rearranged around this part of the keyboard as well, so I tend to hit keys when touch typing on an US layout that do something else, breaking the writing flow.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Skripka and Phuncz

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Ordered another keyboard, and am waiting for the DHL delivery guy - Amazon sent the wrong keyboard, that is, wrong switches. Ordered a Royal Kludge RK98 (wireless, cable, USB hub and all the other bells and whistles) with "brown" switches (havent found out yet which ones, my guess its some or other Outemu or Kailh switch).

Also, I dont understand whats so nice about linear switches: Both keyboards, the GMMK and the Keychron, feel a lot like .. better rubberdome. If you want rubberdome, then get that, not these .. overpriced excuses.

Alas, the GMMK 2 feels very solid, and I like the layout, so I'm probably gonna stick with the 96% form factor - although this one is not really "regular" 96% - the spaces between keys are much smaller, so its actually the size of a smaller TKL while retaining a nearly fullsize layout. Oh, and keycaps are also really really nice.

I just wish there was a default "white light" only setting for ALL RGB backlight keyboards. Even the more expensive ones never grace you with interesting colors like violet or magenta, its always just blue, green, red, or some horrid mixed color, which makes one think the people "designing" this stuff are all color-blind.

cu, w0lf.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Ordered another keyboard, and am waiting for the DHL delivery guy - Amazon sent the wrong keyboard, that is, wrong switches. Ordered a Royal Kludge RK98 (wireless, cable, USB hub and all the other bells and whistles) with "brown" switches (havent found out yet which ones, my guess its some or other Outemu or Kailh switch).

Also, I dont understand whats so nice about linear switches: Both keyboards, the GMMK and the Keychron, feel a lot like .. better rubberdome. If you want rubberdome, then get that, not these .. overpriced excuses.

Alas, the GMMK 2 feels very solid, and I like the layout, so I'm probably gonna stick with the 96% form factor - although this one is not really "regular" 96% - the spaces between keys are much smaller, so its actually the size of a smaller TKL while retaining a nearly fullsize layout. Oh, and keycaps are also really really nice.

I just wish there was a default "white light" only setting for ALL RGB backlight keyboards. Even the more expensive ones never grace you with interesting colors like violet or magenta, its always just blue, green, red, or some horrid mixed color, which makes one think the people "designing" this stuff are all color-blind.

cu, w0lf.

There's lots of linears out there. I've never used the Glorious ones. My GMMKPro I pull out has lubed Everglide Aquakings in it, definitely doesn't feel like a dome keyboard.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
There's lots of linears out there. I've never used the Glorious ones. My GMMKPro I pull out has lubed Everglide Aquakings in it, definitely doesn't feel like a dome keyboard.
Apparently its using the Glorious Fox, but they feel .. meh. But then, I've been using a huge amount of keyboards since the late 1980s, starting with the original IBM Model M, so my typing preferences may be biased; and also, my key stroke is very hard, so these fancy pre-lubed linear keys might be worse choice for "hard hitters" anyway.

Currently thinking about replacing the keycaps with smaller ones, ie. less depth, because that might be just the key element - I did use low profile switches for about a month before. Maybe if the keycaps were sitting lower, I ccould enjoy the sensation more. On the other hand, I didnt like the Keychron 2 Pro switches either, so maybe its really not for me.

But lets give it some time, just getting used to the size and layout of this keyboard, also still missing important parts like a palm rest (so right now, I cannot really properly do accurate touch-typing, meaning I'm currently only using a 2 + 2 finger mode, not full 10 key).

cu, w0lf.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

cu, w0lf.

I don't understand why people like linear switches either. But I don't think linear are a better rubber dome, as rubber dome is designed to provide tactile feedback. So probably it's more accurate to say that tactile switches are better rubber dome.

For the LED colors (and other customizations).. I think you can try QMK-based keyboards, where you can customize many things. They are relatively affordable these days.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Apparently its using the Glorious Fox, but they feel .. meh. But then, I've been using a huge amount of keyboards since the late 1980s, starting with the original IBM Model M, so my typing preferences may be biased; and also, my key stroke is very hard, so these fancy pre-lubed linear keys might be worse choice for "hard hitters" anyway.

Currently thinking about replacing the keycaps with smaller ones, ie. less depth, because that might be just the key element - I did use low profile switches for about a month before. Maybe if the keycaps were sitting lower, I ccould enjoy the sensation more. On the other hand, I didnt like the Keychron 2 Pro switches either, so maybe its really not for me.

But lets give it some time, just getting used to the size and layout of this keyboard, also still missing important parts like a palm rest (so right now, I cannot really properly do accurate touch-typing, meaning I'm currently only using a 2 + 2 finger mode, not full 10 key).

cu, w0lf.

If you're hammering, and not touch typing...most switches will feel very similar whether they're tactile/clicky or linear or rubber dome. As you're bottoming out every keypress rather than letting up (before bottoming out). Most people tend to hammer...a matter made more common because people use rubber-dome keyboards long passed the point where the rubber has hardened and is very stiff.

Reactions: Dawelio