Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I really want to get a velka 7 but really need Displayport 1.4, is there a solution or low profile right angle cable someone knows about that I can squeeze inside the case under the panel? As long as its at least 3 meters long, it should work for my setup.
There isn't a solution that works reliably with all DP 1.4 setups yet but you could try one of these extension cables before deciding on the case. 3 meters is going to be difficult; 1 meter is more achievable.
P6A-P8T-SI 20 cm and P6A-P8T-BL 20 cm from ADT-Link
They are also available on Aliexpress

Hey everyone I need some help does anyone know how long the internal extensions are supposed to be for HDMI and DP. ADT seems to have just made these internal connectors available not long ago and Id like to know which I should buy since I wont have a Velka 7 until whenever theyre available. Im assuming 15cm but I guess I could get 30cm and fold it up just incase. Also this is probably what you would need @Killinger EDIT I found the parts list on Velka website and theyre 20CM so I would need to buy the 30CM version to be sure. Thanks me

http://www.adt.link/product/DPP14-Shop.html DP1.4 P7A-P8T. P7A-P8Q would be best but might not fit.
http://www.adt.link/product/HAA-MF-24P-Shop.html HDMI 2.1 A7-A8T. A7-A8Q would be best but might not fit.

Someone correct me if im wrong.
I would recommend 20 cm for the top 2 ports and 30 cm for the bottom 2 ports. Any extra length can be tucked away.

Parts with P7A and A7 in the name will not fit due to the male connector facing the opposite way.

You will need the P6A and A6 variants.
Parts with the "Q" at the end will also not fit due to the added length of the female end. EDIT: See post #2,704 two replies below

For DisplayPort: P6A-P8T-SI or P6A-P8T-BL
For HDMI: A6-A8T

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Correction: the "Q" variants with the redriver IC do fit (tested with P6A-P8Q-30CM) but are more difficult to install. The female end of the connector needs to be installed first and the cable bend radius will be very small. This could potentially cause some reliability issues and require careful installation to avoid accidental damage to the cable.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Thanks for the clarification about the right cables. Ordered up most of my parts and backordered the V7 :)

Ill be stuffing in a 5600X and Gigabyte 3090 Turbo into it and keeping it until whatever X060 Ti model is out that can match it.

Reactions: Killinger

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Ordered my cables. Absolutely loving my Velka 5 with a 3070ti, trying out a few mods to get that exhaust air out of the bottom of the case. I just saw that the Gigabyte 3090 Turbo blower card could probably fit in the Velka 5 with some custom ultra-low profile pcie power cables from KareonKables and its taking all of my willpower not to just buy that over the 4000 series cards. Combined with my 5800x3d, that might be next to impossible to beat in terms of performance per liter, at least for a few months till I inevitably build a 7800x3d with whatever the fastest blower card I can get my hands on.

Reactions: fedder

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Soooo I've got my Iqunix ZX-1 watercooling edition outfitted with a 5800X3D and 3080 TUF at this point, but I got my 3080 XC3 Hybrid replaced with a 3080 XC3 for my workstation, and this card is so compact that it brought me here, salivating at potentially shoving all this into an even smaller package with Velka 7. Velka 7 was on my radar as an ideal form factor for a 3070 build, but a slightly underclocked and deshrouded 3080 stands to be even more awesome.

I'm curious if the VC-S290G4 riser that I can order the Velka 7 v2.1 with is a fairly new addition. All the reviews that I see involve the ungodly bends required by the previous riser cable and I'll be the first to admit this is literally what put me off this case in the past. I've done enough building to know I'd definitely pay extra to get the flexy wire style of riser (In the ZX-1 I'm using a LinkUP pcie4 riser). And it also looks like (this wasn't really even on my radar as a potential issue before) there are solutions available for the display output adapter cables should I need to drive high bandwidth DP and HDMI... Can someone confirm if the case still will come with a HDMI 2.0 jumper? I shall need to at least change that to HDMI 2.1 since I'll be using that interface whether with the LG OLED or my portable monitor.

I reckon also that the GPU shift mod isn't something that will be helpful for XC3 since it looks to be mainly about freeing up space for flow thorugh 3080 FE cooling. Very neat mod right there, though. I will hopefully be set up for PETG printing over here soon enough but it's nicer not to have to do this.

I placed an order just now, but am still trying to look out for any potential gotchas.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Soooo I've got my Iqunix ZX-1 watercooling edition outfitted with a 5800X3D and 3080 TUF at this point, but I got my 3080 XC3 Hybrid replaced with a 3080 XC3 for my workstation, and this card is so compact that it brought me here, salivating at potentially shoving all this into an even smaller package with Velka 7. Velka 7 was on my radar as an ideal form factor for a 3070 build, but a slightly underclocked and deshrouded 3080 stands to be even more awesome.

I'm curious if the VC-S290G4 riser that I can order the Velka 7 v2.1 with is a fairly new addition. All the reviews that I see involve the ungodly bends required by the previous riser cable and I'll be the first to admit this is literally what put me off this case in the past. I've done enough building to know I'd definitely pay extra to get the flexy wire style of riser (In the ZX-1 I'm using a LinkUP pcie4 riser). And it also looks like (this wasn't really even on my radar as a potential issue before) there are solutions available for the display output adapter cables should I need to drive high bandwidth DP and HDMI... Can someone confirm if the case still will come with a HDMI 2.0 jumper? I shall need to at least change that to HDMI 2.1 since I'll be using that interface whether with the LG OLED or my portable monitor.

I reckon also that the GPU shift mod isn't something that will be helpful for XC3 since it looks to be mainly about freeing up space for flow thorugh 3080 FE cooling. Very neat mod right there, though. I will hopefully be set up for PETG printing over here soon enough but it's nicer not to have to do this.

I placed an order just now, but am still trying to look out for any potential gotchas.
The gen 4 cable installation looks like this (released November 2021) and does not involve any sort of complex bends, you basically wrap it around the edge in one motion.

The reviews that mention ungodly bends are in reference to the flat gen 3 cable.

This case still comes with DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 cables.

Reactions: rfarmer

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Thank you for the photo Michael! I've seen many a double folded gen 3 cable photo but this is the first time I've seen how it actually bends and this is such a perfect solution to that issue. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this one!

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Should we order the A8T or
Correction: the "Q" variants with the redriver IC do fit (tested with P6A-P8Q-30CM) but are more difficult to install. The female end of the connector needs to be installed first and the cable bend radius will be very small. This could potentially cause some reliability issues and require careful installation to avoid accidental damage to the cable.

What about the HDMI 2.1? This is probably even more important than DP 1.4 for me since I need that 4k120 on the LG OLED. I still havent tested my *whole* box of HDMI cables, but many cables do flicker with it regularly just connected directly to the GPU, so I know it's going to be dicey having a jumper in the path. A redriver might be necessary and I don't want to be in a position where I have to order 10 cables just to try to get one that might work only to see them all still fail, which definitely feels likely to me for one that doesn't have a redriver.

Would A6-A8Q fit in there? Has anyone tested it?

I cannot find the Q SKUs for these HDMI ones on AliExpress. I will order a Displayport P6A-P8Q DP 1.4 from Aliexpress in the meantime... ADT's own site wants $25 for shipping so I'm not sure if it makes sense to try to order an A6-A8Q yet or if I should roll the dice with an A6-A8T.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Should we order the A8T or

What about the HDMI 2.1? This is probably even more important than DP 1.4 for me since I need that 4k120 on the LG OLED. I still havent tested my *whole* box of HDMI cables, but many cables do flicker with it regularly just connected directly to the GPU, so I know it's going to be dicey having a jumper in the path. A redriver might be necessary and I don't want to be in a position where I have to order 10 cables just to try to get one that might work only to see them all still fail, which definitely feels likely to me for one that doesn't have a redriver.

Would A6-A8Q fit in there? Has anyone tested it?

I cannot find the Q SKUs for these HDMI ones on AliExpress. I will order a Displayport P6A-P8Q DP 1.4 from Aliexpress in the meantime... ADT's own site wants $25 for shipping so I'm not sure if it makes sense to try to order an A6-A8Q yet or if I should roll the dice with an A6-A8T.

I have not tested the HDMI A6-A8Q but it should have the same dimensions as the DisplayPort cable (which I have tested) judging by ADT-Link's product description.

It might make its way to the Aliexpress stores later and I would go for the "Q" variant with the redriver especially if you already have some flickering issues with a single cable.

Reactions: dc443

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
An update on current backorders:
All Velka 7 and a portion of Velka 3 backorders made up until this point will be shipped shortly, slightly ahead of the original September 1st date. Anyone who has not received a shipping confirmation should have received an email with an updated shipping schedule, which is that orders are now expected to ship by September 29th.

Another shipment of cases needs to arrive before the remaining backorders can be fulfilled, which is on track to arrive by September 8th to our city. Then, delivery to our location may take as little as 1 week or as long as 3 weeks, and the orders will be shipped out the next day. September 29th will remain the new ETA for now assuming that it's the latter 3 weeks that are required.

Reactions: fedder

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
For anyone needing to push higher bandwidth through HDMI, like, in my case, 4k 120Hz 10bit HDR, save yourself the hassle and go straight for the A6-A8Q, available only through the official adt.link website (for now). The A6-A8T definitely can not handle it, very frequent colour glitches and screen flashing, so I've had to drop to 8bit 4:2:0 colour format to make it usable.

Having said that, mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't fully confirm, but the A8T was at least close to being able to handle it, so quietly confident the A8Q should be ok. Just hope it supports all the different HDMI specs like VRR, ALLM, QFT, etc.

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
For anyone needing to push higher bandwidth through HDMI, like, in my case, 4k 120Hz 10bit HDR, save yourself the hassle and go straight for the A6-A8Q, available only through the official adt.link website (for now). The A6-A8T definitely can not handle it, very frequent colour glitches and screen flashing, so I've had to drop to 8bit 4:2:0 colour format to make it usable.

Having said that, mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't fully confirm, but the A8T was at least close to being able to handle it, so quietly confident the A8Q should be ok. Just hope it supports all the different HDMI specs like VRR, ALLM, QFT, etc.
I'm super interested to know the results of this, please let us know how it goes! I saw that the shipping for the $19 A8Q is $30 😅 not ideal, but if it works I'll buy it anyway

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
I just saw that the Gigabyte 3090 Turbo blower card could probably fit in the Velka 5 with some custom ultra-low profile pcie power cables from KareonKables and its taking all of my willpower not to just buy that over the 4000 series cards. Combined with my 5800x3d, that might be next to impossible to beat in terms of performance per liter, at least for a few months till I inevitably build a 7800x3d with whatever the fastest blower card I can get my hands on.
Are you sure that blower is optimal in this endgame class of configuration? I feel like you'd just be able to push more CFMs (and with less noise) if ductwork is placed to guide air out of the case and away from intake somehow with a regular air cooled card, so that it can vent hot air away along the full length of the card on *both sides*. Instead of only being able to exhaust out of a single side on the short side. The blower has less than a quarter of the available area. I'm sure the pressure and flow rate of the blower is higher but is it more than 4 times higher?

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
> please let us know how it goes!

Ditto! I think there is a core contingent of people waiting on actual confirmed reports of success on this before dropping $50 on a cable. I already bought the DP 1.4 one (a 25cm) since $20 isn't that steep, but am holding off on the HDMI for now, even though I need the HDMI 2.1 cable much more urgently for this.

Pretty certain that the panel will just be staying off until the dust settles on this...

Reactions: Fueled By Yams

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Well, just received the A6-A8Q today and unfortunately I got a defective unit, no signal at all for all but 1 test after multiple tests, with the most success being a very broken signal. Very frustrating, especially given the amount of effort required to disassemble/reassemble the Velka.

Just a heads up for the official ADT-Link website order process, there's no order confirmation and they take ~5 days to ship it. Thankfully, the $30 shipping is FedEx so it arrives quickly. You may have to email them for the tracking number, not sure if they take the initiative to send it.

Anyway, thankfully they've refunded me. The last few weeks of constant disassembly/reassembly have been tough (DP -> HDMI 2.0 extension -> HDMI 2.1 extension (A8T) -> HDMI 2.1 extension (A8Q)) and I'm not very confident of this working out, so going to change to a case where I can connect the video cables directly to the GPU. Sorry about this! Hope you all have better luck than I do if you decide to take the plunge!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueled By Yams

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
Well, just received the A6-A8Q today and unfortunately I got a defective unit, no signal at all for all but 1 test after multiple tests, with the most success being a very broken signal. Very frustrating, especially given the amount of effort required to disassemble/reassemble the Velka.

Just a heads up for the official ADT-Link website order process, there's no order confirmation and they take ~5 days to ship it. Thankfully, the $30 shipping is FedEx so it arrives quickly. You may have to email them for the tracking number, not sure if they take the initiative to send it.

Anyway, thankfully they've refunded me. The last few weeks of constant disassembly/reassembly have been tough (DP -> HDMI 2.0 extension -> HDMI 2.1 extension (A8T) -> HDMI 2.1 extension (A8Q)) and I'm not very confident of this working out, so going to change to a case where I can connect the video cables directly to the GPU. Sorry about this! Hope you all have better luck than I do if you decide to take the plunge!
Ah shit. Well thanks for trying. I was afraid of the same happening. I love my velka, I really don't wanna switch cases... but I might have to

Verismo

Efficiency Noob
Jul 15, 2019
So, on the site it lists the ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING as incompatible. Is the Gigabyte B660I AORUS Pro also incompatible?
Is there a list of LGA1700 boards that are confirmed to be compatible?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
So, on the site it lists the ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING as incompatible. Is the Gigabyte B660I AORUS Pro also incompatible?
Is there a list of LGA1700 boards that are confirmed to be compatible?

All of these are compatible with the following exceptions:

ASUS B660-I GAMING: Not compatible with Velka 3, 7

ASUS Z690-I GAMING: May need to unscrew and remove a portion of the IO shield cover in the Velka 3 and 7. Will need to remove the front M.2 heatsink in the Velka 3 and 5.

Reactions: Verismo

Verismo

Efficiency Noob
Jul 15, 2019

All of these are compatible with the following exceptions:

ASUS B660-I GAMING: Not compatible with Velka 3, 7

ASUS Z690-I GAMING: May need to unscrew and remove a portion of the IO shield cover in the Velka 3 and 7. Will need to remove the front M.2 heatsink in the Velka 3 and 5.
Awesome, thank you!