Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Yeah, already had it undervolted on my previous build (ncase m1 + silver arrow 130). I plan on using only for gaming, maybe 65w will do the job at 1080p, will see. My concern now is that the AXP90 Cu I ordered has a backplate and don't know if this will fit properly with the riser cable and GPU. All the reviews I saw were using the AXP90 full copper without backplate.

I ran a 9700k with an AXP90 + Noctua fan(with the backplate it was a very tight fit but still worked).

95watt TDP
16 second boost to 115watts
0.1v undervolt
all-cores set to 4.6ghz max

with that undervolt and wattage limit all core workloads only hit about 4.45ghz, but I was only gaming anyway

gaming temps were anywhere from 65c in light games to 90+ in bf2042

Reactions: xarcoft

fuadm424

Case Bender
New User
Jan 13, 2022
Finishing up my second build in the Velka 7 (will post pics soon!). Any though to making front panel add-ons that would allow 92mm fans? It would only increase the depth of the case by a cm but greatly increase cooling performance!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Finishing up my second build in the Velka 7 (will post pics soon!). Any though to making front panel add-ons that would allow 92mm fans? It would only increase the depth of the case by a cm but greatly increase cooling performance!
Looking forward to seeing the build.

I have explored vented front panel designs to the point of prototyping but I don't think the benefits will justify the appearance and cost. Adapting a sheet metal front panel to the existing structure results in unsightly panel gaps and one with fan mounts would end up being $40 at best not including the cost of fans themselves.

fuadm424

Case Bender
New User
Jan 13, 2022
Thats too bad. I was imagining a thicker CNC milled plate with 92mm circles for fans (with the same attachment points to the current case for easy upgrading), but I understand that might just be very expensive. Maybe I'll get into woodworking.

Some teaser pics of my build. Still waiting on some SFF cables and fan splitters:

CPU: i9 9900k - Stock clocks, undervolted and HT disabled
GPU: EVGA 3080 XC3 - 1800 MHz @ 820 mV deshrouded

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Thats too bad. I was imagining a thicker CNC milled plate with 92mm circles for fans (with the same attachment points to the current case for easy upgrading), but I understand that might just be very expensive. Maybe I'll get into woodworking.

Some teaser pics of my build. Still waiting on some SFF cables and fan splitters:

CPU: i9 9900k - Stock clocks, undervolted and HT disabled
GPU: EVGA 3080 XC3 - 1800 MHz @ 820 mV deshrouded

This got me thinking about a PSU noctua fan swap….how hard was it? Worth it or nah?

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Wow. That Velka 7 looks awesome. With this many slim noctuas, I would be tempted to switch out that Blackridge to an AXP90 or even an L9i with fan duct and have all fans visible in glorious unity. Bonus point for connecting the psu fan to the mobo in such a subtle way and thus making it actually spin for the benefit of cooling the psu instead of it being idle like it usually is most of the time (and now doing it silently). Now that I think about it, if somebody does the same with a Dan A4 he can have a total of 7 fans.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Just two quick questions @VELKASE Michael, I was wondering when we might see a "space gray"-ish colour velka 7 like the offering that was available for velka 5 v1. Also, an update on the status of upcoming new releases or next revisions (if there are any) would be great!

Thanks,

E

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Just two quick questions @VELKASE Michael, I was wondering when we might see a "space gray"-ish colour velka 7 like the offering that was available for velka 5 v1. Also, an update on the status of upcoming new releases or next revisions (if there are any) would be great!

Thanks,

E
Colors other than black are probably not going to be offered for the Velka series. The purpose of the next revision is to improve quality control, reliability, logistics, while maintaining some degree of backward compatibility for parts. Trying to offer extra colors would get in the way of all of those things.

Prototyping and development for the next Velka revision is almost complete but it will be a few months before the preparations for production will be complete and I will be able to share specifics.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Colors other than black are probably not going to be offered for the Velka series. The purpose of the next revision is to improve quality control, reliability, logistics, while maintaining some degree of backward compatibility for parts. Trying to offer extra colors would get in the way of all of those things.

Prototyping and development for the next Velka revision is almost complete but it will be a few months before the preparations for production will be complete and I will be able to share specifics.
Oh, for the record though, I'm sure there's people like me that, depending on the price, would be willing to pay a premium for other colour options. If you charge extra for additional colour palettes I'm sure that could offset the need for additional work to offer more variations...

Thank you regardless for all your work on this!

E

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Oh, for the record though, I'm sure there's people like me that, depending on the price, would be willing to pay a premium for other colour options. If you charge extra for additional colour palettes I'm sure that could offset the need for additional work to offer more variations...

Thank you regardless for all your work on this!

E
That would be fine if the quality and costs of added colors were predictable but black is the only color that can be made with acceptable quality with the current manufacturing partners. Other colors would probably be poorly made.

Perhaps for other cases like the slim console-style case I have in development.

Reactions: er_wink

x01

Cable Smoosher
Oct 31, 2019

Would you make velka 7 a lil bit wider so it can support 2,5 slot - 3 slot gpu?
I think additional 15mm wide would still maintain relatively small volume XD

Pras1011

Efficiency Noob
Feb 26, 2022
Hi. I have Velka 3 with Amd 5900x, 7660b psu and a Palit 3060 Stormx. I was using l9a am4 cooler but due to the noise I switched to the z39 metalfish. The z39 cooler is lighter and not as substantial as the l9a. The cooling performance seems worse on the z39. I am thinking about going back to the l9a. What are my options with coolers? I do not want

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
In terms of size, I think many people (at the least, me) prefer this case over the majority of the others simply because of its diminutive size. If it were to get any larger, I wouldn't buy the next revision. Having said this, I think if it's just a bit of additional clearance you're after, Michael could probably just make the side panels have more incremental adjustment slots like the existing velkase 7, except allow the side panels to offset even farther out. That way, it would retain its volume.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Hi. I have Velka 3 with Amd 5900x, 7660b psu and a Palit 3060 Stormx. I was using l9a am4 cooler but due to the noise I switched to the z39 metalfish. The z39 cooler is lighter and not as substantial as the l9a. The cooling performance seems worse on the z39. I am thinking about going back to the l9a. What are my options with coolers? I do not want
I don't have a Velka 3 so I can't comment much, but the Jonsbo HP400 is known to perform better than the l9a and fit your case. Perhaps lurk around reddit a bit and check that out.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
There won't be major dimensional or compatibility changes like this to the Velka 7. The purpose of that case is to be as small as possible with SFX PSU and reference size graphics card support so that it can compete against ~5 liter cases without support for these standard parts.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Will the velka 7 run a 5900x and l9a with better temps than then velka 3?

it has ~47mm of clearance so yes, you will have more cooling potential. You can run the AXP 90 full copper or the blackridge

as for inherently better cooling just by swapping cases? probably not

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
Migration completed successfully.
The option to actually get an E766b VK in Europe and finding the perfect carrying bag tipped the scales for me to downsize to this little jewellery box of technology.

The case and it's riser are top quality and this psu is not even audible - then again the build does not consume that much. They both exceeded my expectations. Really like the thick front panel and that power button. I recently got some nice case feet as well, that I've yet to attach.

Last edited: