Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

djsaddy

Caliper Novice
Jan 3, 2020
Alright folks, just an update/ i bought G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 memory not realizing that the heat sinks on them is taller then the clearance on Velka 3. Even though some users reported that it would fit, it simply does not. So i had to buy aftermarket heat sinks from eBay. I removed the G.Skill trident Z heatsink and install the eBay one and now there are no clearance issues.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Michael, any chance to buy outside US? did try check in your web, but unable to purchase

Unfortunately, I cannot ship outside the US currently. I will only resume taking non-US orders when the next batch is ready or almost ready around May.

Puls

Case Bender
New User
Feb 19, 2020
I just finished my building in the Velka 3.

I used the Gigabyte X570 Aourus Pro Wifi. I was a bit worried if it would fit, but I managed to get it in without modification. I just placed the Velka backplate on the mainboard backplate and it fit.
Otherwise using Ryzen 5 3600, Powercolor AXRX 5500XT and the Enhance ENP 7660P. Actually really positivily suprised by the low amount of noise gnerated by the gpu. Something to keep in mind. I had to switch to PCIE 3.0 in the bios because of the riser to stabilize the connection to my tv. Otheriwse it would sometimes turn black or loose audio over hdmi.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Built my Velka 3 yesterday after waiting almost 2 months for the Enhance PSU to be delivered (I ordered the wrong one initially from Taobao, it arrived around when CNY started, Coronavirus, etc. etc.). It is a beauty of a case. Went from the Node 202 to this and would probably consider this my 1st true SFF PC. Using existing components (i7 7700, Gigabyte 2060 Mini, ASRock H110 ITX/AC, Enhance ENP 7660P with cables removed) for now until the next gen of GPUs gets released, which is when I'll do a full upgrade. Temps and noise are all good too.

Besides the usual issues any might encounter like cable management, mashing components together, etc., there was only really 1 issue that stood out. The 2.5" HDD had to REALLY be squeezed in alongside the PSU on the CPU side for it to fit. Another spot it seemed like the HDD could fit is along the front of the case, above the power button, though it would only be held by a single screw.

Anyway, not a big issue at all. Thanks @VELKASE Michael

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
After spending a bit of time with it, finding the VF-8010-PWM fan noise to be kind of like a whiny flutter at anything above 30%. Have set a pretty aggressive fan curve to avoid it and it's now virtually silent. Awaiting my chassis fan header splitter to install the 2nd.

Went ahead and ordered 2 of the Scythe Kaze Hachi. Does anyone have any experience with these?

dzjlimit

Caliper Novice
Oct 25, 2019
After spending a bit of time with it, finding the VF-8010-PWM fan noise to be kind of like a whiny flutter at anything above 30%. Have set a pretty aggressive fan curve to avoid it and it's now virtually silent. Awaiting my chassis fan header splitter to install the 2nd.

Went ahead and ordered 2 of the Scythe Kaze Hachi. Does anyone have any experience with these?
I have 2 of those and they work pretty well. I do not have the VF fans so I can't compare them. The noise level is better then I expected (which I found on Optimum tech's video)
Also, I am selling my Velka 3 so you can see in these photos (really love it but have to let it go ?)[sold]

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmonk

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
My VF-8010-PWM are connected to non pwm headers...they make a buzzing noise at all duty cycle levels.below 20% they stop, above 21% it goes from 1300 rpm to 3800 rpm.

Is the buzzing and rpms different when connected to pwm header?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
My VF-8010-PWM are connected to non pwm headers...they make a buzzing noise at all duty cycle levels.below 20% they stop, above 21% it goes from 1300 rpm to 3800 rpm.

Is the buzzing and rpms different when connected to pwm header?

"Duty Cycle" is terminology related to PWM operation. If you are not using these fans with a PWM header (i.e. plugging into a 3-pin fan header) then there is no such thing as '20% duty cycle'. I am guessing you're just controlling the header via voltage manipulation (as the usual with 3-pin fan headers).

PWM fan motors are usually set up for constant 12V drive and the fan speed is adjusted by the length of the PWM pulse. I am guessing you are having problems due to the fans not behaving well with voltage control. I suggest trying these with a PWM header and see if the problem persists. If there's still audible noise when used with a PWM fan source, you should consider contacting Michael for a replacement.

Reactions: cennis

ahmedmo1

Case Bender
New User
Mar 10, 2020
So...

I managed to get a 9900K running decently with a LP53 + Noctua fan combo in this case. Kind of speaks to how impressive the cooler is. Here's how it went;

I switched to this case from a Silverstone ML08 a few weeks ago and was running the below system;
8700K stock (undervolted -120mv) with a Cooltek LP53
Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
16gb DDR4 3000MHz
eVGA RTX 2080 Black (undervolted with a slight OC)

Ran relatively cool and quiet. In games, the CPU didn't exceed 80C- usually floated round 70-75C.

Then I decided to try a 9900K...

And it would throttle immediately under prime95 @ stock voltages with MCE on. I then did the following;
-Turned off MCE
-Undervolted by -100mV @ LLC 5 (the load line cal that provides least voltage)
-Set all core to 4.4Ghz

My prime95 results were: TDP was 100-110W in hardware monitor, voltage was under 1.14V and most cores didn't exceed 80C after 10 minutes

This was with a conservative fan curve. If I removed the undervolt and increased the fan speed, I could do 4.7Ghz all core without throttling.

It's not 5Ghz all core but I think this is a great compromise. Reducing the TDP by ~40% for not that large of a step down vs. stock.

cennis

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2020
So...

I managed to get a 9900K running decently with a LP53 + Noctua fan combo in this case. Kind of speaks to how impressive the cooler is. Here's how it went;

I switched to this case from a Silverstone ML08 a few weeks ago and was running the below system;
8700K stock (undervolted -120mv) with a Cooltek LP53
Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
16gb DDR4 3000MHz
eVGA RTX 2080 Black (undervolted with a slight OC)

Ran relatively cool and quiet. In games, the CPU didn't exceed 80C- usually floated round 70-75C.

Then I decided to try a 9900K...

And it would throttle immediately under prime95 @ stock voltages with MCE on. I then did the following;
-Turned off MCE
-Undervolted by -100mV @ LLC 5 (the load line cal that provides least voltage)
-Set all core to 4.4Ghz

My prime95 results were: TDP was 100-110W in hardware monitor, voltage was under 1.14V and most cores didn't exceed 80C after 10 minutes

This was with a conservative fan curve. If I removed the undervolt and increased the fan speed, I could do 4.7Ghz all core without throttling.

It's not 5Ghz all core but I think this is a great compromise. Reducing the TDP by ~40% for not that large of a step down vs. stock.

What's the total height of this config 53-25(stock fan) = 28cm? Then add a9-14 to get to a total of 42mm? I am wondering if it will fit vk3?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Velka 7 should be released this May, although it has been designed for smaller hardware than you expect (you can disregard all of my previous design ideas mentioned in this thread).

Sweet! Can we expect a teaser before the release? Gotta figure out if I buy this or the 5, which has been my plan so far.

Reactions: Fueled By Yams

Fueled By Yams

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
Sweet! Can we expect a teaser before the release? Gotta figure out if I buy this or the 5, which has been my plan so far.
Big upvote on this. All I'm really hoping for with the 7 is some watercooling support. I really liked your previous idea of what was essentially a smaller Ghost + L tophat, but I'm excited to see what you've changed!

ahmedmo1

Case Bender
New User
Mar 10, 2020
What's the total height of this config 53-25(stock fan) = 28cm? Then add a9-14 to get to a total of 42mm? I am wondering if it will fit vk3?

If you're using 2 expansions slots for the GPU, VK3 clearance is "37 mm CPU cooler with two expansion slots". The LP53 + Noctua is b/w 42-48mm if I recall correctly so it wont fit unless you use a 1-slot card.