Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Those are the 1660 non-super dimensions as far as I can tell, but assuming that it's under the 183mm then you should be fine. I just see a different length for the 1660 super than you do.
Zotac makes 2 versions of the 1660 super, the 1660 Super Amp is 210mm, the 1660 Super twin fan is 173mm.

Reactions: sjug

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017

Twiddle

Efficiency Noob
Jan 28, 2018
Here's an option I hadn't considered: someone on r/sffpc accidentally received black panels on their gray Velka 5.

I think this looks incredibly nice, and would love if it could be done on request. I understand that it's likely not feasible, but the other option of buying two cases and swapping the panels is a little spendthrift for the aesthetic. Anyone know of a good way to paint brushed aluminum?

Reactions: Brude27 and rfarmer

ggabriele3

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
Just finished my build of the Velka 3 with a 1080 Mini. Ran some VR tests and it seems to be working nicely.

Some thoughts:
- i think the enhance enp-7660b PSU might be a little tall for this case, as there's almost no clearance for the riser cable, and the PSU itself generates a lot of heat despite having so much "overhead." A little concerned about the long term here. Same concern with my mobo mounting the M.2 on the rear, sandwiched between the GPU.
- I was hoping to do the storage option with the SSD on the bottom next to the power supply, but there's no way it would fit.
- I cut almost all of the unused wires from the PSU, and there's still almost no room for cables - I don't know how I would have done it otherwise. This would be really cool to do with custom-length PSU cables, not just to make it easier, but also for some more airflow or space.
- I added a non-permanent external 120mm fan: Took an unused 120mm fan, 3d printed grilles for it, and ran an extension cable from the case fan headers on the motherboard out the back of the case to make it detachable. Now I can add a large fan and just point it at the CPU or GPU side for some extra cooling.

Reactions: DrummerMuppet

djsaddy

Caliper Novice
Jan 3, 2020
Just finished my build of the Velka 3 with a 1080 Mini. Ran some VR tests and it seems to be working nicely.

Some thoughts:
- i think the enhance enp-7660b PSU might be a little tall for this case, as there's almost no clearance for the riser cable, and the PSU itself generates a lot of heat despite having so much "overhead." A little concerned about the long term here. Same concern with my mobo mounting the M.2 on the rear, sandwiched between the GPU.
- I was hoping to do the storage option with the SSD on the bottom next to the power supply, but there's no way it would fit.
- I cut almost all of the unused wires from the PSU, and there's still almost no room for cables - I don't know how I would have done it otherwise. This would be really cool to do with custom-length PSU cables, not just to make it easier, but also for some more airflow or space.
- I added a non-permanent external 120mm fan: Took an unused 120mm fan, 3d printed grilles for it, and ran an extension cable from the case fan headers on the motherboard out the back of the case to make it detachable. Now I can add a large fan and just point it at the CPU or GPU side for some extra cooling.

Nice...Share some pictures when you can.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
Ordered my Velka 3 and it's on the way and have similar concerns, since I also have a mobo where the M2 is on the back and am getting the same PSU.

I ordered the NON-modular ENP-7660B from this link and asked them to customise the cables and lengths to the following:
  • 1x MB 24p (22cm)
  • 1x CPU 4+4p (30cm)
  • 2x PCIE 6+2p (25cm)
  • 1x SATA (15cm)
I've delayed the order until I can confirm cable lengths. Is this ideal, with support for multiple configurations in mind? (Like where the mobo connector is, if it's not standardised)
Not even sure I need the extra PCIE connector nor the SATA but just keeping them for future compatibility. Using silicone wiring so hoping that will alleviate some of the cable issues.

Any input from anyone regarding this would be much appreciated!

spookymould

What's an ITX?
Jan 5, 2020
Here's an option I hadn't considered: someone on r/sffpc accidentally received black panels on their gray Velka 5.

I think this looks incredibly nice, and would love if it could be done on request. I understand that it's likely not feasible, but the other option of buying two cases and swapping the panels is a little spendthrift for the aesthetic. Anyone know of a good way to paint brushed aluminum?
I'm the guy that made this post. To be a bit more clear than I was on reddit; what I actually recieved appears to be the entire chassis and side panels of the black model with only the front grey panel.

I know this was likely a mistake somewhere along the line but I think it looks great.

However I cant help but feel like I've just caused Michael to recieve a lot of emails from people about switching specific panels for their orders. Hope he doesn't mind too much.

Aside from the colours though, I am extremely pleased with the Velka 5. Build quality is great and I found it surprisingly easy to build in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twiddle and rfarmer

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
Ordered my Velka 3 and it's on the way and have similar concerns, since I also have a mobo where the M2 is on the back and am getting the same PSU.

I ordered the NON-modular ENP-7660B from this link and asked them to customise the cables and lengths to the following:
  • 1x MB 24p (22cm)
  • 1x CPU 4+4p (30cm)
  • 2x PCIE 6+2p (25cm)
  • 1x SATA (15cm)
I've delayed the order until I can confirm cable lengths. Is this ideal, with support for multiple configurations in mind? (Like where the mobo connector is, if it's not standardised)
Not even sure I need the extra PCIE connector nor the SATA but just keeping them for future compatibility. Using silicone wiring so hoping that will alleviate some of the cable issues.

Any input from anyone regarding this would be much appreciated!
I'm still waiting on my SSFTech ENP-7660, but I have mine running with an ATX PSU sitting externally. At this point I'd say your CPU and MB are probably good. You definitely want the MB as short as possible since it's so thick, but you need at least 200mm, 250 is probably safest. For PCIE I think one 6+2 is probably enough. I don't think you'll find an ITX card that takes two connectors since it'd be hard to cool a card drawing so much power. PCIe can also be pretty short since the GPU is mounted upside down putting the top rear of the card right near the back of the PSU. You might be able to get away with 100mm, but 150 is probably safe. I'd keep the SATA in case you want an SSD beyond a single M2, and that's probably a good length.

Reactions: oldmonk

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
I'm still waiting on my SSFTech ENP-7660, but I have mine running with an ATX PSU sitting externally. At this point I'd say your CPU and MB are probably good. You definitely want the MB as short as possible since it's so thick, but you need at least 200mm, 250 is probably safest. For PCIE I think one 6+2 is probably enough. I don't think you'll find an ITX card that takes two connectors since it'd be hard to cool a card drawing so much power. PCIe can also be pretty short since the GPU is mounted upside down putting the top rear of the card right near the back of the PSU. You might be able to get away with 100mm, but 150 is probably safe. I'd keep the SATA in case you want an SSD beyond a single M2, and that's probably a good length.
Thank you so much! I'll adjust to your safest length recommendations as well as just go with 1x PCIE.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm struggling to confirm something about the Velka 5 - the Velka 3 states the PCI-e riser is sold separately but the Velka 5 makes no such mention. Does this mean the riser is included with the Velka 5 where it isn't for the Velka 3?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
I'm struggling to confirm something about the Velka 5 - the Velka 3 states the PCI-e riser is sold separately but the Velka 5 makes no such mention. Does this mean the riser is included with the Velka 5 where it isn't for the Velka 3?

It pretty clearly states, that the riser cable is an option, you can add for $10. Right beside the menu to pick the color, you can pick whether or not to include the riser.

Twiddle

Efficiency Noob
Jan 28, 2018
However I cant help but feel like I've just caused Michael to recieve a lot of emails from people about switching specific panels for their orders. Hope he doesn't mind too much.

I hope he doesn't mind too much either. I understand that the whole process is already difficult as it is. I'll be sure to post any information I receive.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
It pretty clearly states, that the riser cable is an option, you can add for $10. Right beside the menu to pick the color, you can pick whether or not to include the riser.
Thanks for pointing that out - was greyed out and difficult to see for me ?

Reactions: Skarum

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2019

Does it not fit between the PSU and the Case or because of the 24pin power cable being too fat when you rout it between the PSU and CPU Cooler as shown in the manual? My 2.5" fits quite snuggly although it looks a little awkward (got a Silverstone FX350-G PSU), gonna update with a picture a bit later...

ggabriele3

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
Does it not fit between the PSU and the Case or because of the 24pin power cable being too fat when you rout it between the PSU and CPU Cooler as shown in the manual? My 2.5" fits quite snuggly although it looks a little awkward (got a Silverstone FX350-G PSU), gonna update with a picture a bit later...

I actually tried fitting the Silverstone before I got the Enhance (had to return the Silverstone, was not in "new" condition as advertised), and I was able to jam an SSD in that spot. With the Enhance it doesn't seem possible. I'll try it again, i have to rebuild the thing this week to replace the GPU fan anyway.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
Right, time to throw this project into gear. 2070 mini ordered, PSU ordered, NH-L9 Chromax ordered. Rest of the parts will carry over (2700X, B450i board, 32GB DDR4). Just to order a Velkase 3, which according to the site will be later tonight.

Reactions: Skarum

djsaddy

Caliper Novice
Jan 3, 2020
Right, time to throw this project into gear. 2070 mini ordered, PSU ordered, NH-L9 Chromax ordered. Rest of the parts will carry over (2700X, B450i board, 32GB DDR4). Just to order a Velkase 3, which according to the site will be later tonight.

Nice, My system has a similar build and is sitting on the motherboard box. Waiting to order Velka 3 and get the PSU from China.

gadgethound

What's an ITX?
Jan 6, 2020
For Velka 5 owners: Anyone have experience replacing the 14mm fan on an Noctua L9 cooler with a 25mm fan? It feels like it would *just* fit the case? Or maybe it's a bit too tall and would cause some flex in the side panel?