Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Davidandreis

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2019
Oh yeah the ASRock X570i Phantom Gaming TB3, thunderbolt 3 is a great feature for me. No idea if that one fits so maybe someone can tell me.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@VELKASE Michael Are you planning a new iteration of Velka 3 any time soon? Just wondering if support for modular Flex ATX PSUs is in your mind? I know you mentioned that you lose 1-2 cables max compared to non-modular so in that sense, there's little point going for modular, but it's more the ability to switch to flexible cables of the exact length for optimal cable management, which is my preference.

@oldmonk I was looking into the FSP FlexGuru 300W a few months ago and Michael had said this should fit in Velka 3 since it's a standard Flex ATX sizing. The other modular ones like GEEEK are modified PSU's adding the modular board to the end of what I presume is a standard sized Flex ATX brick hence those not fitting.

The biggest problem with the FSP is there is no native PCIE power harness. What I've seen other people do is use Molex to PCIE adapters. Not knowing too much about power delivery and the effects of using such an adapter, this would be a questionable item for me. Also, another issue which I have is that the FSP, to me, seems "semi-modular". You don't have individual harnesses per component (i.e. 24-pin, 8-pin EPS, SATA, etc.); those harnesses would share the same VDC outputs from the board. This could be good and bad I guess. If I did try this PSU, I would be doing my own custom cabling, so the "semi-modular" part wouldn't bother me so much. And I did try to do a pinout of the FlexGuru (though I don't have one), so you can check my post here and try to make sense of what would need to be done to get it going in a Velka 3 w/GPU.

FSP FlexGURU 250W/300W Flex ATX PSU Pinout Attempt (Not Verified)

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
@oldmonk I was looking into the FSP FlexGuru 300W a few months ago and Michael had said this should fit in Velka 3 since it's a standard Flex ATX sizing. The other modular ones like GEEEK are modified PSU's adding the modular board to the end of what I presume is a standard sized Flex ATX brick hence those not fitting.

The biggest problem with the FSP is there is no native PCIE power harness. What I've seen other people do is use Molex to PCIE adapters. Not knowing too much about power delivery and the effects of using such an adapter, this would be a questionable item for me. Also, another issue which I have is that the FSP, to me, seems "semi-modular". You don't have individual harnesses per component (i.e. 24-pin, 8-pin EPS, SATA, etc.); those harnesses would share the same VDC outputs from the board. This could be good and bad I guess. If I did try this PSU, I would be doing my own custom cabling, so the "semi-modular" part wouldn't bother me so much. And I did try to do a pinout of the FlexGuru (though I don't have one), so you can check my post here and try to make sense of what would need to be done to get it going in a Velka 3 w/GPU.

FSP FlexGURU 250W/300W Flex ATX PSU Pinout Attempt (Not Verified)
Calling that PSU Modular is I guess technically correct, but not useful. Best I can tell it has two cable bundles: 24-pin/4+4, and SATA/Molex/FDD. It does probably make custom cables easier since you don't have to open the housing, you just have to figure out how to wire it to that 10-pin. I think the standard Molex to 6+2 uses two molex 4-pins. So you should be able to look at how the 2 Molex connectors are wired on the FSP compared to the Molex to PCIe adapters, and get it wired properly.

Side question, does anything use FDD anymore?

nobantahir

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 16, 2019
Hi, I'm not understanding the best way to mount my gpu in the velka 5. right now the lower part is sagging towards the side panel and one of the fans makes contact with it. I don't understand all the brackets etc that are included and am not sure what to do. the GPU is a zotac rtx 2070 super mini and it is narrower by a few mm than the compatible dimensions. the panel between the Mobo and gpu also flexes towards the Mobo because the extension cable is too wide it seems.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Hi, I'm not understanding the best way to mount my gpu in the velka 5. right now the lower part is sagging towards the side panel and one of the fans makes contact with it. I don't understand all the brackets etc that are included and am not sure what to do. the GPU is a zotac rtx 2070 super mini and it is narrower by a few mm than the compatible dimensions. the panel between the Mobo and gpu also flexes towards the Mobo because the extension cable is too wide it seems.

Any pictures to share?

Edit: I just looked through the manual, and you should check from page 18 with the usage of the angled bracket.

Last edited:

GcodeG01

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 8, 2019
I can confirm the Aorus x570i does fit in the Velka 5 pretty easily. I got the revision if that changes anything. I just took out the front of the case and put a little pressure to stick it in.

Davidandreis

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2019
Does the ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 fit?
What about underside SSD's with heatsinks like the Patriot Viper VPN100.
That's the config I wish and I would like your opinion if it fits.

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2019
Forgot to mention the height of the ssd is 10.5mm with heatsink

Underside SSDs with heatsinks will take away space from the GPU. Any 2 slot GPU will take all the space between the back of the Motherboard and the side panel, leaving just enough space for the riser to separate the Mobo from the GPU backside.

I believe that 10mm will not fit, but don't quote me on that and wait for the answer from someone who tried it or from Michael. I don't actually believe that the heatsinks would even help, remember that the SSD will be smooshed between the Motherboard and the GPU riser. My Adata XPG (granted, not a very high end SSD) hasn't gone above 55°C yet and only has a 2mm heatsink. I'd say you can go up to 5mm before you obstruct GPU placement.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Forgot to mention the height of the ssd is 10.5mm with heatsink

Underside SSDs with heatsinks will take away space from the GPU. Any 2 slot GPU will take all the space between the back of the Motherboard and the side panel, leaving just enough space for the riser to separate the Mobo from the GPU backside.

I believe that 10mm will not fit, but don't quote me on that and wait for the answer from someone who tried it or from Michael. I don't actually believe that the heatsinks would even help, remember that the SSD will be smooshed between the Motherboard and the GPU riser. My Adata XPG (granted, not a very high end SSD) hasn't gone above 55°C yet and only has a 2mm heatsink. I'd say you can go up to 5mm before you obstruct GPU placement.

I'm sure someone in this thread (somewhere) posted that underside M.2 (like in x570i) don't have heating issues, take my memory with a grain of salt.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
There are currently no shorter power buttons than the one the case comes with, but around January - February, cases will have power buttons that are 7 mm shorter than the current ones. These buttons will not be backwards compatible and I cannot say for certain whether this will allow modified Flex ATX power supplies to fit.

@VELKASE Michael what are the dimensions of the power button (OD and length)?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Between the SSFTEC modified ENP-7660B and continued improvements and customer reviews of the Velka 3 the year 2020 may be when I finally replace my original V1 NCASE M1 from 2013.

Reactions: rfarmer

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
This has probably already been mentioned, but for my sake I will bring it up again.

I currently have a L9a with a fan duct on the VK-5, I'm getting max 70 while heavy gaming so temp wise it's ok. I have 2 ideas to improve it noisewise:

1: Purchase Noctua NF-A9 (25mm) for maybe better acoustics, it seems it would set the cooler at the case's 48mm.

2: Purchase C7 (or Cu or G) and replace fan with my L9a's NF-A9x14, would set the cooler at 46mm.

Has anyone tried these configurations?

Gremlin1337

Efficiency Noob
Mar 23, 2019
This has probably already been mentioned, but for my sake I will bring it up again.

I currently have a L9a with a fan duct on the VK-5, I'm getting max 70 while heavy gaming so temp wise it's ok. I have 2 ideas to improve it noisewise:

1: Purchase Noctua NF-A9 (25mm) for maybe better acoustics, it seems it would set the cooler at the case's 48mm.

2: Purchase C7 (or Cu or G) and replace fan with my L9a's NF-A9x14, would set the cooler at 46mm.

Has anyone tried these configurations?

I just purchased a velka 5 on dec 10 (wish I would have put order in before the dec 7 cutoff!) Also got an l9a so am interested in this as well. Thought about getting the c7 but decided against it due to higher acoustics.

Where did you get the fan duct madman? Seems like it reduces temps by several degrees by having one.

70 c... but what processor a 3600?

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I just purchased a velka 5 on dec 10 (wish I would have put order in before the dec 7 cutoff!) Also got an l9a so am interested in this as well. Thought about getting the c7 but decided against it due to higher acoustics.

Where did you get the fan duct madman? Seems like it reduces temps by several degrees by having one.

70 c... but what processor a 3600?
I have the 3600X, when I get 70 c I am gaming so my gpu is always louder. I want to reduce noise when I am doing light work.

My fan duct is diy with weather tape lol. L9a is 37mm so you need about 11mm to the panel, so I bought a similar one to this tape. It is 7/16" thick which is a lil bit more than 11mm. I did a square enclosure around the fan therefore it won't recycle hot air out of the case. 70 highs for 3600X is supposedly good, so I am happy with the temps.

I will post pics of my x570i aorus build, I will remember to show my "duct" too.