Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
@VELKASE Michael Are you planning a new iteration of Velka 3 any time soon? Just wondering if support for modular Flex ATX PSUs is in your mind? I know you mentioned that you lose 1-2 cables max compared to non-modular so in that sense, there's little point going for modular, but it's more the ability to switch to flexible cables of the exact length for optimal cable management, which is my preference.

Or do you know of a power button that has a lower profile which would work with one of these modular PSUs that's angled at 90 degrees (i.e. not like the Geeek one which just protrudes outwards)? Either that or a modded non-modular PSU with less cables and more flexible cables of the ideal length.

I understand that a lot of these questions have been asked before or you're just not interested in answering these kinds of questions any longer, but I hope you can answer this one. I really want to make the plunge, but this PSU issue really holding me back right now. Thanks!

Reactions: Blitzhex

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@VELKASE Michael Are you planning a new iteration of Velka 3 any time soon? Just wondering if support for modular Flex ATX PSUs is in your mind? I know you mentioned that you lose 1-2 cables max compared to non-modular so in that sense, there's little point going for modular, but it's more the ability to switch to flexible cables of the exact length for optimal cable management, which is my preference.

Or do you know of a power button that has a lower profile which would work with one of these modular PSUs that's angled at 90 degrees (i.e. not like the Geeek one which just protrudes outwards)? Either that or a modded non-modular PSU with less cables and more flexible cables of the ideal length.

I understand that a lot of these questions have been asked before or you're just not interested in answering these kinds of questions any longer, but I hope you can answer this one. I really want to make the plunge, but this PSU issue really holding me back right now. Thanks!

If you are OK with having a 0.8 L external power brick and spending about $50-$100 extra on a power supply, you could fit an HDPLEX 400DC-ATX which is officially supported in the 1.2 revision.

There are currently no shorter power buttons than the one the case comes with, but around January - February, cases will have power buttons that are 7 mm shorter than the current ones. These buttons will not be backwards compatible and I cannot say for certain whether this will allow modified Flex ATX power supplies to fit.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
If you are OK with having a 0.8 L external power brick and spending about $50-$100 extra on a power supply, you could fit an HDPLEX 400DC-ATX which is officially supported in the 1.2 revision.

There are currently no shorter power buttons than the one the case comes with, but around January - February, cases will have power buttons that are 7 mm shorter than the current ones. These buttons will not be backwards compatible and I cannot say for certain whether this will allow modified Flex ATX power supplies to fit.
It's mainly the ENP-7660B that I'm interested in due to the supposed quiet fan noise at anything under 480W, which I won't even come close to.

Thanks for the answer though, looking forward to whatever other changes you'll be making. I'll wait until Jan/Feb then. At least if there's no clear answer by then from someone else whether either a modular or modded ENP-7660B can fit, I'll feel like it's less of a risk with 7mm more and just go for it.

Also looking forward to any progress on the slim version of this which I think you mentioned at some point :)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Just FYI for Domestic shipping within USA...

Got the email on Dec 13 for item shipping (USPS info sent). Dec 14, item was physically in transit and estimated date of arrival is Dec 18. Unfortunately, I won't be back to get my case in the US until mid to end of January, so my build will have to wait until then!!! Oh well, but I guess I'll be able to do my Velka 3 at the same time unless I still have trouble selecting a Flex-ATX PSU and cooler.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018

Was planning on getting one in 2020 and had looked into replacing the button myself. Perfect timing :)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Velka 5 has been delivered on 12/16. That was rather quick work from the USPS! Too bad I won't get my hands on it until middle of January... ?

awjuice

What's an ITX?
Dec 16, 2019
Just FYI for Domestic shipping within USA...

Got the email on Dec 13 for item shipping (USPS info sent). Dec 14, item was physically in transit and estimated date of arrival is Dec 18. Unfortunately, I won't be back to get my case in the US until mid to end of January, so my build will have to wait until then!!! Oh well, but I guess I'll be able to do my Velka 3 at the same time unless I still have trouble selecting a Flex-ATX PSU and cooler.

Good luck to the rest of you!
mines been in pre-shipping status :/ was hoping to get it by thursday but not sure if that will be the case

update: nevermind, the usps gods just scanned my shipping code

Last edited:

Philip85

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 9, 2019
It's mainly the ENP-7660B that I'm interested in due to the supposed quiet fan noise at anything under 480W, which I won't even come close to.
This one seem a good option:

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
This one seem a good option:
Thanks, am aware of that one. That would be the one I'd go for if it weren't for this one:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=533119895425

Have been speaking with @dzjlimit who bought the modded non-modular version from that taobao link and has given some gold information:
  • Noctua fan mod is very quiet, though unknown whether it improves things over the stock fan since that is supposed to be very quiet too
  • Cable management is great, due to the store providing customisation of cables (length, connectors and cable type I think)
  • He chose silver coated cables but recommends silicon cables as those are more flexible
  • You can send a photo of the case/layout so the store can customise cable lengths to fit the build
Unsure if it's possible, but since they do a lot of customisation, they may also provide coating the PSU in black, for those that prefer that.

TiF974

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 17, 2019
Hi. I ordered a velka 3 two months ago and 2x 80mm fan. I received the case. Amazing ! But i received the package for my fans but there was only one fan in the package. I sent an email via your site but no answer. Order: 110571406266
Can you help me ?
Thanks. And sorry for my english :(

Last edited:

dzjlimit

Caliper Novice
Oct 25, 2019
Thanks, am aware of that one. That would be the one I'd go for if it weren't for this one:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=533119895425

Have been speaking with @dzjlimit who bought the modded non-modular version from that taobao link and has given some gold information:
  • Noctua fan mod is very quiet, though unknown whether it improves things over the stock fan since that is supposed to be very quiet too
  • Cable management is great, due to the store providing customisation of cables (length, connectors and cable type I think)
  • He chose silver coated cables but recommends silicon cables as those are more flexible
  • You can send a photo of the case/layout so the store can customise cable lengths to fit the build
Unsure if it's possible, but since they do a lot of customisation, they may also provide coating the PSU in black, for those that prefer that.
Here are some pictures I took:

Also, I am using L9a with Ryzen 5 3600 in stock settings but the CPU temperature goes up to 92 degrees C when I do FPU stress. Does anyone use the same configuration? What are your temps?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: oldmonk

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Here are some pictures I took:

Also, I am using L9a with Ryzen 5 3600 in stock settings but the CPU temperature goes up to 92 degrees C when I do FPU stress. Does anyone use the same configuration? What are your temps?
Thanks!
I've seen max 70 on my 3600x while gaming with the same cooler. Do you actually need to have it on 100% load on your usual tasks? You don't really need to know your highest temps possible if you will only play games.

Reactions: dzjlimit

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
There are currently no shorter power buttons than the one the case comes with, but around January - February, cases will have power buttons that are 7 mm shorter than the current ones. These buttons will not be backwards compatible

Will these still be 16mm diameter or that is changing as well ??

Also, any chance of getting a third mount point in rev 1.3 thats 76mm apart as shown ??
Would be ideal if these could be made slots as well as the other 2 rows ?

Last edited:

Davidandreis

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2019
@The_Mad_Madman can you please tell me if the X570i Aorus is worth it, fan replacement possible (I want this peace of mind at the least) and how to fit in inside the Velka 5.
People on the discord server tell me to not be bothered by the fan and not get an X470.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@The_Mad_Madman can you please tell me if the X570i Aorus is worth it, fan replacement possible (I want this peace of mind at the least) and how to fit in inside the Velka 5.
People on the discord server tell me to not be bothered by the fan and not get an X470.
I have not done the new Bios update which supposedly stops the chipset fan from being so annoying, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the X570I, I've been an ass and forgotten to take pictures of my build but I will try to have them on Friday. The X570I DOES FIT in the Velka 5 WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS. If I could fit it in my first PC build anyone can. It certainly was not easy, I did not use some case screws as it was impossible to do so, and the I/O has a slight slope but it will fit.

Davidandreis

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2019
@The_Mad_Madman does this affect durability if I carry it with me? The absence of the screws matter a lot if I plan to backpack the case or carry on plane?
Also might also check ASRock TB3 Mini itx. Don't know it's full name of the top of my head. Would that fit in?