Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

huh.sure

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Velka series cases are focused on delivering class-leading space efficiency for portability and reduced desk clutter.

Available at velkase.com

VK-3: The most compact brick-less case with support for ITX sized graphics cards.

Power supply:
If using a graphics card that requires power connector:
  • (~$90) SilverStone SST-FX350-G
    • 350 W, black casing, braided cables, 6 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold
  • (~$90) FSP Group FSP400-60FGGBA
    • 400 W, 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold. Quieter than other options, less cable clutter compared to 500W variant below. Best value.
    • Note: European version of this power supply does NOT have 6+2 pin connector.
  • (~$110) FSP Group FSP500-50FGGBN
    • 500 W, dual 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold
  • ($~130) Enhance ENP-7660B
    • 600 W, dual 6+2 pin GPU power, 80+ Platinum. Can be found on eBay, ships worldwide.
If using a graphics card without a power connector or no graphics card:
  • (~$90) SilverStone SST-FX350-G
    • black casing, braided cables, 350 W, 6 pin GPU power, 80+ Gold
  • (~$55) FSP Group FSP220-60LE(80)
    • 220 W, 80+
  • (~$110) FSP Group FlexGURU 300W
    • black casing, black modular cables, 300W, 80+ Gold
Other Flex ATX power supplies can be obtained for as little as $25 in some regions, suitable for builds with low power graphics that do not require additional connectors.

------------------------------------
CPU cooler:
Some CPU coolers have large backplates. All such known coolers are marked with an asterisk * and have 5 mm less height clearance available, but will still be compatible. It is recommended to choose a cooler 52 mm in height or below if planning to use the case with a single slot graphics card or no graphics card, and to strictly choose a cooler from the "37 mm and below" list if using a dual slot graphics card.

37 mm and below (with two expansion slots)
  • Noctua NH-L9
57 mm and below (with one expansion slot)
  • AMD Wraith Stealth
  • Alpenfohn Black Ridge*
  • Cryorig C7*
*Only 52 mm clearance available for this cooler

Graphics card:
Any card 183 mm in length or less.

Storage:
For a boot drive, consider an M.2 SSD. They can be bought for about the same price as 2.5" SSDs and will simplify cable management.
For bulk storage, consider 2.5" mechanical hard drives or 2.5" SSDs.

Memory:
RAM modules with a low profile heatsink or without a heatsink simplify cable management.

VK-5: The most compact case with SFX power supply and full-size graphics card support.

Example Velka 5 build with non-modular power supply

Accessories (highly recommended):
  • (~$18+) USB 3.0 hub with ethernet
    • To completely eliminate all cables on top except for HDMI/ DisplayPort, consider plugging in a USB hub with the number of needed USB ports and an ethernet port into one of the rear USB ports.
  • (~$10+) 90 degree DisplayPort cable or adapter
    • If using DisplayPort for video output, the cable protrusion can be reduced by replacing your owned cable with a right angled cable or adding a right angled adapter to your owned cable.
  • 90 degree HDMI adapter
    • Included in package if case is bought with PCIe riser.
  • (~$7+) 90 degree Cat 6 (ethernet) cable or adapter
    • If using ethernet without a USB hub with ethernet, consider using a 90 degree cable on top to reduce the cable protrusion.

Motherboard
  • A cleaner top appearance can be achieved by matching the motherboard IO shield color to the color of the case.

Example setup with top 90 degree ethernet adapter, 90 degree displayport adapter, USB hub without ethernet, 27 inch monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. USB hub shown is plugged into one of two rear USB 3.0 ports. If using a wired keyboard and mouse, USB hub can be plugged into one top USB to make rear ports available for keyboard and mouse. See "Recommended Hardware" below for more details on recommended accessories.

Hey, Micheal been waiting to get a Velka 3. Just wondering what cable lengths you would recommend for it, as i'm getting a custom Flex ATX psu by geeek.Thanks! Also, if you lengthen the case will you be able to use a 170mm PSU?

Last edited:

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Well it kind of is since the Velka specs quote Flex-ATX (150mm) and the geeek specs say 170mm... should be rather obvious that after adding a 20mm thing at the end of the PSU it won't be standard anymore.

But yeah, maybe worth adding for people who don't take the time to check their components...

Reactions: AtuhMatic

hlgr

Chassis Packer
Mar 16, 2017
I think someone on reddit (or in this thread?) made it fit by extending the Velka3 to its maximum length.

Blitzhex

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
So, the Geek custom 7660b won't fit because of the connector's horizontal orientation + the length of the atx connectors combined. What about modded 7660b's like this:

Supposedly 165mm in length and the vertical orientation of the connectors helps reduce length further. The power button shouldn't clash with this right? Also has a noctua fan.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Here are two new parts that have been added to the Velka 5: the external piece fixes graphics card alignment and the internal one (similar to the 3D printable piece available for download) creates a slot for the IO shield to slide into and be supported from underneath. If you do not want to use the angled bracket originally included with the case for support, you can use these.

Everyone who has purchased a revision 1.1 Velka 5 that exhibits graphics card mounting issues should have already been contacted receiving these extra parts.

The Velka 5 units that have started shipping again recently already have them.

If you own revision 1.0 of this case and want this fix, please also let me know that you have rev 1.0 instead of 1.1. You will need to contact me either through this forum's messaging system or the email listed on the website because I no longer have your contact information.

Last edited:

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Here are two new parts that have been added to the Velka 5: the external piece fixes graphics card alignment and the internal one (similar to the 3D printable piece available for download) creates a slot for the IO shield to slide into and be supported from underneath. If you do not want to use the angled bracket originally included with the case for support, you can use these.

Everyone who has purchased a revision 1.1 Velka 5 that exhibits graphics card mounting issues should have already been contacted receiving these extra parts.

Are Velka 5 Rev 1 owners considered, or this won't even fit the case.

oldmonk

Caliper Novice
Dec 26, 2018
So, the Geek custom 7660b won't fit because of the connector's horizontal orientation + the length of the atx connectors combined. What about modded 7660b's like this:

Supposedly 165mm in length and the vertical orientation of the connectors helps reduce length further. The power button shouldn't clash with this right? Also has a noctua fan.
Yes, I'd like to know this as well. Looking at this:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=533119895425
There also seem to be modded versions which are not modular but have less cables?

EDIT: After a bit of searching, found this post from Michael.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ompact-and-portable-desktops.9681/post-159892
So even these type of modular PSUs aren't supported.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For revision 1.0, the internal piece will work fine but it will require the use of two M3x0.5 nuts. You can either find your own or wait a few days until I get some more. The external piece will mount on one screw instead of two, but that will be enough for it to work.

For revision 1.0 Velka 5 owners out there, feel free to ask for this fix, but please mention that you have a rev 1.0 case so that you get the right hardware. I cannot email you because I no longer have your contact information.

@The_Mad_Madman

x01

Cable Smoosher
Oct 31, 2019

If you own revision 1.0 of this case and want this fix, please also let me know that you have rev 1.0 instead of 1.1. You will need to contact me either through this forum's messaging system or the email listed on the website because I no longer have your contact information.

How did you manage to secure the screws in 2nd picture

I cannot even put that object in place, let alone securing the screws

I was using ghost s1’s gpu support, it was perfectly fit in velka 5 and much easier to install. Sadly, I already sold my ghost along with that small piece gpu support

I think you should check ghost’s gpu support design. The hole is in the middle, you only need 1 screw, and you could secure the screw from the outside. Much easier to install :)

pizzacart

Case Bender
Dec 5, 2019
After a month of wait i finally got the velka 5 case and got to try my idea of fitting a 120mm aio inside it and i did it!
Even though the radiator is not being attached to anything because i dont have the right kind of a screw im still really happy about it and it doesnt seem to be moving anyway

sf600 platinum
asus rog strix x570-i
R9 Nano as its only 152mm and i already had it (looks like i might be able to fit a 170mm gpu in the future, but not sure)
and the aio is cm masterliquid lite 120 with 120x120x13 fan from pallas 120 cpu cooler as it was the only way i could find a 120mm fan thats 13mm thick and oh boy it sure is crammed in there.

Reactions: Mako

Limetka

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2019
For anyone outside of US, my velka 5 arrived after 37 days for general idea, its still at customs tho, post services are pretty busy these days. Might post pics in few days.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hey Michael, do you have any updates regarding this?

It is transit, but unfortunately, I do not know where it is. A few expedited shipments just like yours got delayed at a sorting facility and missed scans. It should get another scan and update the tracking status at some point because that is what happened to the other shipments that were sent on that day.

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Sep 14, 2019
My Velka 3 arrived last week, (album of building process) and I have to say that I've never been this uncomfortable while building a PC, but the result was definitely worth it. I think I managed to keep my build below 700$ overall. It's not a high end build by any standards, but it does what I want it to do quite amazingly, which is 1080p gaming at high-ultra in a tiny form factor. Thanks Michael!

PS: Now I just have to figure out what the German Customs want from me, because I got the Package with a sticker on it saying the Customs fee is 25,77€, and another one saying it's "verzollt, eng: duty paid" even though I haven't even gotten a letter from them yet... Please contact me if you get a message from them Michael.