Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Teduh

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2019
Has it been a really busy last 2 weeks for Michael? Hasn't replied to any emails, just wondering if it's been hectic.

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Velka 5s are supposed to ship out tomorrow, hopefully that's been keeping him occupied.

There's a note that I just saw today on their website saying that the Velka 5's are delayed by a week:

"Velka 5 shipments are delayed by 1 week. New parts are being added to fix a graphics card mounting issue."

Reactions: billbord and Skarum

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
Quick question:

Velka 5 how did you routed the PCIe extension cable ? there is <1mm space between the MB tray and the back of the unit ?

Is this expected ?

aga98

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Been doing some more research on CPU coolers and wanted to throw this idea on the forum. For a 9900K/KS build in Velka 3, could a Dynatron K129 at ~ 27mm work in conjunction with a liquid metal delid and having the cooler on a der8auer direct die 9th Gen. OC-Frame? Also for a fan, I would opt for a chromax Noctua NF-A9x14mm fan bringing the total height of the cooler to ~ 41mm. The Dynatron K129 is rated for 95W TDP and I was wondering if it could potentially cool a 9900KS since initially I was configuring a build to use that CPU with a Noctua NH-L9i which is rated for 65W and people told me that setup would not work.

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Quick question:

Velka 5 how did you routed the PCIe extension cable ? there is <1mm space between the MB tray and the back of the unit ?

Is this expected ?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I just had issues placing the video card into the PCIe extension while also handling the mobo with all its components; not the cable itself. I also have the X570I which I somehow managed to fit in the VK5 without modding, removing anything.

GcodeG01

Cable Smoosher
New User
Nov 8, 2019
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but I just had issues placing the video card into the PCIe extension while also handling the mobo with all its components; not the cable itself. I also have the X570I which I somehow managed to fit in the VK5 without modding, removing anything.
Aorous x570i? If so, how did you do it?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Quick question:

Is this expected ?

The cable should be routed and temporarily fastened to the standoffs before installing the motherboard tray into the case. The cable itself is 1 mm thick and will fit.

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks @Michael but is extremely tight, in my case I don't even have 1 mm of space between MB tray and the the front of the case.

Experience with Silverstone 800 SFF-L (not recommended for this case, or the current version of the case/ current version of the PSU v1.0)

Scenario 1 power supply with fan facing inside case - the power button is obstructed by the side panel - it may be pressed ON, but will never be switched OFF as the side panel overlaps. (is usable but you will loose ability of turning the power supply off from the switch)
Scenario 2 power supply rotated with the fan vs the side panel (this should be the correct position) - the power plug is hitting the margin not allowing the power supply to fit (~1 mm more clearance is required, this can be adjusted probably in the new version of the case)

aloidnev

Efficiency Noob
Oct 9, 2019
Anyone here from South East Asia?

I ordered my Velka 5 last October and it was shipped early November, the USPS tracking information hasn't been updated since Nov 8 and has been "in transit" since then.

Is this normal? Estimated delivery time is 21 days so it's not really too far off yet.

djbenxnyc

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 4, 2019
Previously the pc projects I have worked on are the M1 Case, Cooler Master Elite 120, and Jonsbo VR1. But the Velka 5 pc case by far is the most compact pc case. I received my Velka 5 pc case in early Nov., it only took me less than 2 hours to put all of the components together and start running temperature testing. Then during the Thanksgiving weekend, I took apart the side penal and front cover to give a full polish.

The anodized brushed layer was tough to sand away, that's quality right there! However, I was aiming for the chrome look, so I started on the 120 grit on the orbital sander moving up slowly to 240, 400, 800 then 1000 grit sandpaper. Finally with a single coat of Mothers Aluminum polish with a microfiber towel.

See the full build on PC Part Picker ( https://pcpartpicker.com/b/27mqqs) Captain Phasma.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Previously the pc projects I have worked on are the M1 Case, Cooler Master Elite 120, and Jonsbo VR1. But the Velka 5 pc case by far is the most compact pc case. I received my Velka 5 pc case in early Nov., it only took me less than 2 hours to put all of the components together and start running temperature testing. Then during the Thanksgiving weekend, I took apart the side penal and front cover to give a full polish.

The anodized brushed layer was tough to sand away, that's quality right there! However, I was aiming for the chrome look, so I started on the 120 grit on the orbital sander moving up slowly to 240, 400, 800 then 1000 grit sandpaper. Finally with a single coat of Mothers Aluminum polish with a microfiber towel.

See the full build on PC Part Picker ( https://pcpartpicker.com/b/27mqqs) Captain Phasma.

Damn that looks cool AF, nice job.

Reactions: djbenxnyc

koom

Cable Smoosher
Nov 1, 2019
Is there a set date for new Velka 5 orders to be shipped out? Also, will the stock intel cooler for an I5-9400F fit in the Velka 5?

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Aorous x570i? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks @Michael but is extremely tight, in my case I don't even have 1 mm of space between MB tray and the the front of the case.

Experience with Silverstone 800 SFF-L (not recommended for this case, or the current version of the case/ current version of the PSU v1.0)

Scenario 1 power supply with fan facing inside case - the power button is obstructed by the side panel - it may be pressed ON, but will never be switched OFF as the side panel overlaps. (is usable but you will loose ability of turning the power supply off from the switch)
Scenario 2 power supply rotated with the fan vs the side panel (this should be the correct position) - the power plug is hitting the margin not allowing the power supply to fit (~1 mm more clearance is required, this can be adjusted probably in the new version of the case)

First off I connected everything to the mobo: cpu, cooler, ram, m.2, cables (fans, cpu 4 pin, 24 pin everything). After that I followed the guide, installing the metal separator component. Then I plugged in the PCIe extension and routed it back just like you're supposed to, but I only screwed it in one of the placements, not both. This issue is likely related to my reference Vega 56 card size and the mobo placement (described later on), I had to angle it a bit, which was impossible if I screwed in the PCIe straight. After you have the mobo completely set up (with the PCIe cable, gpu not just yet) you can start fitting it in the case.

It is a really tight fit, I'm not going to lie I was really pissed off and spent like 2 hours my first time fitting it in. You have to force the integrated I/O into its determined place. It will not be a perfect fit, only one of the ends "clicked" into place, so the I/O will have a slight slope; I would say it's not even a noticeable angle. After that I only screwed in 3 of the 4 extensions standoffs (the lengthy ones that go to the side panels) as the angle and mobo size would not allow all of them to be in place.

After the mobo is in place the gpu battle starts, my reference card was a complete bitch, if yours is smaller I guess it will be loads easier. And that is the difficult part, whatever is next is routing cables and making sure the panels don't bulge out when closing the case off.

I will post pictures later today if you need them and for anyone else that wants to fit in an X570i into a VK-5.

REMEMBER: You need to connect all cables first into the mobo before putting it in place, after that you won't be able to plug anything in.

pizzacart

Case Bender
Dec 5, 2019
Anyone here from South East Asia?

I ordered my Velka 5 last October and it was shipped early November, the USPS tracking information hasn't been updated since Nov 8 and has been "in transit" since then.

Is this normal? Estimated delivery time is 21 days so it's not really too far off yet.
same thing happened to me too except im from finland and the last update ive got was "Your item was processed through our CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on November 13, 2019 at 2:00 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. " ..and i even paid extra for faster shipping :/

rodarkone

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2019

Amazing build, what's your temps ?
I just hit the reality check (107C) with my 9900k yesterday and Alpenfohn Black Ridge

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Does anyone know the heights of 9th gen Intel CPU stock coolers or the 9th gen i5 stock coolers in particular?