Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
The Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will not fit because its height is 132 mm and it does not have recessed power input. Cards without recessed connectors must be no more than 126 mm in height in this case (142 mm - 16 mm).

Do you think it could fit with a low profile PCI-E power connector, like this one? Should bring the total with of the card down to just under 140 mm.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Do you think it could fit with a low profile PCI-E power connector, like this one? Should bring the total with of the card down to just under 140 mm.

No, because the case's power button will be somewhere behind the connector on the card. I have suggested giving that solution a try to one person in this thread who wanted to fit an over-sized card, and the two interfered.

Reactions: Skarum

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
No, because the case's power button will be somewhere behind the connector on the card. I have suggested giving that solution a try to one person in this thread who wanted to fit an over-sized card, and the two interfered.

Alright. Thank you very much. I'll take a look at the ASRock Challenger someone else suggested earlier. Again, thanks for the swift response and the fantastic cases.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I checked out the video, and while he didn't really like the build process the case itself he seemed to like a lot. That is also the first time I had seen the case assembled and while it does seem quite odd I can your reasoning behind it and how you managed to get so much into such a small footprint, excellent job.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would it be possible to have black cables on the Velka 3 10mm fans, so brightly colored cables aren't visible through the top? Initially I wanted to have the case oriented with the PSU on top for a clean look, but the new vented bottom pretty much eliminated that possibility.

Just looked further into this and I can definitely say that wires can be changed to black (eventually). It increases the minimum order quantity strictly by 5x, so it would have to be done after the current batch of fans is fully sold; that might take a couple of months.

Reactions: QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
It wouldn't be like the S4 mini, but the orientation of the graphics card to the motherboard would be similar and the shape would be that of a typical console.

If by one-piece rigid structure you mean a riveted frame, then it will only complicate assembly. It will not be possible to install any piece of hardware when there are bends around the edges.

Standoffs make it possible to eliminate internal bends that would clutter up the insides and make assembly more difficult, as well as either increase case size or add visible screws to the exterior.

Many people seem to use this case without a graphics card. In the US, this case is 79.99 and Flex ATX power supplies suitable for APU builds can be found for under 30. For the $20-30 extra, people get a smaller and more upgradeable case compared to the InWin Chopin.

What I might do instead is offer different back panels: one compatible with both single and dual slots, one for only dual, one for no slots and maximized CPU cooler clearance.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I think bends around the edges could be minimized or eliminated in places where they're not needed, then it would only result in a marginally larger volume, perhaps 4L with the same GPU compability if you got rid of the top fans, but it's debatable if that's worth it. I do appreciate your unique approach to assembly, it does result in the smallest possible frame, but the tradeoff is rigidity. And for the user, it's more complex and frustrating at times (like in Linus' video). But... if it was all riveted, it may be frustrating in other ways, like struggling to fit something rather than struggling to put the case together. So yeah, your approach is probably better. :D

I do love the idea of allowing the case to be used in zero-slot mode for maximum CPU cooler height. I think more people would use it in that mode than 1-slot mode. Although 1-slot mode allows for APUs to be used with the boxed cooler and you really don't need more cooling than that for those chips, so... again, debatable if it's worth it but if it doesn't cost anything extra, you may as well give the option.

Unrelated question, are you still planning on including an HDPlex plate and HDPlex mounting holes in a future revision? That's what I'm waiting for. I know Geeek makes a plate, but it's shiny acrylic and doesn't match Velka's aluminum.

Limetka

Cable Smoosher
Aug 1, 2019
October 31 is the estimate as of today.
The Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will not fit because its height is 132 mm and it does not have recessed power input. Cards without recessed connectors must be no more than 126 mm in height in this case (142 mm - 16 mm).
Is there any chance for my 127 mm height card with power button plugged aswel?

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Unrelated question, are you still planning on including an HDPlex plate and HDPlex mounting holes in a future revision? That's what I'm waiting for. I know Geeek makes a plate, but it's shiny acrylic and doesn't match Velka's aluminum.

Rev 1.2 that is about to be released will have an experimental mount for HDPLEX and Pico power supplies. It will be tested for compatibility right before launch.

Is there any chance for my 127 mm height card with power button plugged aswel?

Which make and model? Over 126 mm, it will depend on the card and also how flexible the power supply cables are.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Rev 1.2 that is about to be released will have an experimental mount for HDPLEX and Pico power supplies. It will be tested for compatibility right before launch.

Thanks! A few more questions/concerns if you don't mind (I'm just playing devil's advocate).

Is there a reason why the PSU mounts are slots and not full holes? Also, have you thought about including mounting points for the PSU's bottom mounts (ones that are on that protruding piece at the opposite end of where the fan is). If you pause Linus' video at 10:20, you see how the PSU is bending the frame when the case is on its side, I think bottom mounts might help with that when the case is fully assembled. Finally, could you include regular flat screws for the PSU instead of thumbscrews? Thumbscrews are not great for portability, they can catch stuff when putting the case in/out of a backpack.

Any chance in the next revision you can address OptimumTech's concerns about countersunk screws and the side panels' corners not being perfect 90 degree angles? I think you commented on countersunk screws a while ago and said your tooling didn't allow it, but is there really nothing that can be done? It would look so much better.

Sorry that was a lot of questions... I have OCD :D

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@Velkase, any news on Velka 7? Thank you!

Still need to test a few different CPU cooling configurations before deciding on the final concept; that's just a few days away. With the way things are looking right now, it will be a horizontal case with a back-to-back layout, under 8 liters, with at least 120 mm AIO support. Depending on how beneficial some of the unconventional features are, the concept might not be revealed until the case is ready to ship.

Thanks! A few more questions/concerns if you don't mind (I'm just playing devil's advocate).

Is there a reason why the PSU mounts are slots and not full holes? Also, have you thought about including mounting points for the PSU's bottom mounts (ones that are on that protruding piece at the opposite end of where the fan is). If you pause Linus' video at 10:20, you see how the PSU is bending the frame when the case is on its side, I think bottom mounts might help with that when the case is fully assembled. Finally, could you include regular flat screws for the PSU instead of thumbscrews? Thumbscrews are not great for portability, they can catch stuff when putting the case in/out of a backpack.

Any chance in the next revision you can address OptimumTech's concerns about countersunk screws and the side panels' corners not being perfect 90 degree angles? I think you commented on countersunk screws a while ago and said your tooling didn't allow it, but is there really nothing that can be done? It would look so much better.

Sorry that was a lot of questions... I have OCD :D

The slotted PSU mount seemed to work fairly well in the prototypes so that featured just hasn't changed since. There is a good chance of the slots being replaced with holes next time. Flat screws seem like a good idea; they will also be easier to screw in due to their lower weight.

Side panel corners not being rounded enough: that problem does not occur frequently and it will occur less frequently with each upcoming batch. So far I've received only one complaint about a corner and that's something that would be solved with a replacement panel or partial discount if it happens again.

Regarding countersunk screws: Holes will be countersunk eventually, I just can't say when. The panels are 1.2 mm thick and if countersinking in that thickness keeps failing, the panel thickness will need to be increased to 1.5 mm and mass will have to be taken away from some other component. Keeping those panels 1.2 mm thick would be ideal for keeping distance between holes low and open area of cutouts high.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Regarding countersunk screws: Holes will be countersunk eventually, I just can't say when. The panels are 1.2 mm thick and if countersinking in that thickness keeps failing, the panel thickness will need to be increased to 1.5 mm and mass will have to be taken away from some other component. Keeping those panels 1.2 mm thick would be ideal for keeping distance between holes low and open area of cutouts high.

Can this be done by making an outer thicker rectangle with the inner section being thinner - so from the outside it looks like a smooth panel but the inside is depressed in the center where the holes are ??

Kind of like a stamped metal sheet or phone camera bump in reverse - so you only add weight/mass for the thicker border

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Can this be done by making an outer thicker rectangle with the inner section being thinner - so from the outside it looks like a smooth panel but the inside is depressed in the center where the holes are ??

Kind of like a stamped metal sheet or phone camera bump in reverse - so you only add weight/mass for the thicker border

The panel would have to be at least ~3 mm thick everywhere for that to work.

• Wow
Reactions: sid21177