Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm curious, if you made an HDPlex-specific version of the Velka 3 (only room for an HDPlex + 2.5" next to it) and got rid of the top fans, how much smaller would the case be?

I feel like external brick may be a better option for many because you can't fit/cool more than 330W worth of hardware in the case anyway, and the main source of noise is the PSU + top fans. You wouldn't really need top fans without PSU heat exhausted in the case. And I'd argue external brick is actually better for portability because you can break up the weight/size of the PC. HDPlex is also better for cable management + no dust. So I'm curious what the space savings would be with a case optimized for that.

Keeping the shape of the case roughly the same, such a version would decrease the size by only 0.2 L. It would be more efficient to make a case with a slim layout with that hardware compatibility around the same size. This is actually a product I might start working on soon considering the popularity of this case and a quiet console version would add some diversity to the lineup.

Reactions: Brude27

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
Keeping the shape of the case roughly the same, such a version would decrease the size by only 0.2 L. It would be more efficient to make a case with a slim layout with that hardware compatibility around the same size. This is actually a product I might start working on soon considering the popularity of this case and a quiet console version would add some diversity to the lineup.

Is it possible to adjust the case to be 0 expansion slots and maximum CPU cooler headroom?

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Not with the current design

You sure about that? To me it looks like I could flip the mITX board 180 degrees and put it at the "bottom" of the case so the 1U expansion card slot rests above the CPU cooler. From there it should be a simple matter of just not having a GPU expansion card at all (if you so desire), bringing the supported CPU cooler height to 65-ish mm?

But, probably missing something like screw holes for standoffs may need to be added or something like that.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

Okay, 0.2L is not worth it. What do you mean by slim layout with the same hardware compatibility and size? You mean like the S4 Mini layout?

On a somewhat related note, have you thought about remaking the Velka 3 as a one-piece rigid structure, like any other case rather than having this very elaborate way of assembly. I think 95% of buyers will use the case in dual-slot mode. If you want an APU build, you're more likely to buy something like a Chopin, plus APU buyers tend to be budget-oriented and not likely to spend this much on a case. So why not just do a rigid one-piece with dual-slot support and standard mounting holes. You won't need to include all the standoffs and additional screws, assembly will be much easier, and the case will be sturdier.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Okay, 0.2L is not worth it. What do you mean by slim layout with the same hardware compatibility and size? You mean like the S4 Mini layout?

On a somewhat related note, have you thought about remaking the Velka 3 as a one-piece rigid structure, like any other case rather than having this very elaborate way of assembly. I think 95% of buyers will use the case in dual-slot mode. If you want an APU build, you're more likely to buy something like a Chopin, plus APU buyers tend to be budget-oriented and not likely to spend this much on a case. So why not just do a rigid one-piece with dual-slot support and standard mounting holes. You won't need to include all the standoffs and additional screws, assembly will be much easier, and the case will be sturdier.

It wouldn't be like the S4 mini, but the orientation of the graphics card to the motherboard would be similar and the shape would be that of a typical console.

If by one-piece rigid structure you mean a riveted frame, then it will only complicate assembly. It will not be possible to install any piece of hardware when there are bends around the edges.

Standoffs make it possible to eliminate internal bends that would clutter up the insides and make assembly more difficult, as well as either increase case size or add visible screws to the exterior.

Many people seem to use this case without a graphics card. In the US, this case is 79.99 and Flex ATX power supplies suitable for APU builds can be found for under 30. For the $20-30 extra, people get a smaller and more upgradeable case compared to the InWin Chopin.

What I might do instead is offer different back panels: one compatible with both single and dual slots, one for only dual, one for no slots and maximized CPU cooler clearance.

Reactions: Raxe

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
You sure about that? To me it looks like I could flip the mITX board 180 degrees and put it at the "bottom" of the case so the 1U expansion card slot rests above the CPU cooler. From there it should be a simple matter of just not having a GPU expansion card at all (if you so desire), bringing the supported CPU cooler height to 65-ish mm?

But, probably missing something like screw holes for standoffs may need to be added or something like that.

Lots of parts would need to be changed to allow for that. It might be possible to implement it in the future. Which CPU are you trying to cool?

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Lots of parts would need to be changed to allow for that. It might be possible to implement it in the future. Which CPU are you trying to cool?

Pretty happy for my part with the Noctua NH9-L and a 3700X, but you never know in the future and I was just assessing my options. Thank you for your speedy reply!

Reactions: ssun

BenRedic77

Cable Smoosher
Oct 14, 2019
I have decided some time ago that my next PC will be built in the Velka 5, Would have bought one already just waiting for the 1.1 revision to release.
So i have a few quiestions.

This is faaar from my first PC build, but this will be my first small form factor pc build so i might need some advice.

First:
Do you have a rough date on when the 1.1 revision comes out? I have read late october somewhere but could you confirm that?

Second:
Does anyone know if the Aorus x570 I Pro Wifi will fit? I read somewhere that MBs with Integrated IO Shields might have some compatibility issues.

Third:
Does anyone know if the Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will have any issues fitting in this case? I have checked the size of the card and it should fit, however i read somewhere that card with fans sticking out of the shroud could scrape the side panel, i dont know if the fans do stick out on the Red Dragon but it kind of looks like it. Would be great if anyone had an answer for that one.

And lastly:
Does the Velka 5 ship to Norway? Kind of the most important question. Also any idea on shipping cost if it does ship? I dont care if its 100 bucks id still buy the case, its just too perfect for my build!

thats "all", sory for the long post, and bad English, literally just signed up 10 minutes ago just so that i could ask these questions.

Reactions: Skarum

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Do you have a rough date on when the 1.1 revision comes out? I have read late october somewhere but could you confirm that?

October 31 is the estimate as of today.

Does anyone know if the Aorus x570 I Pro Wifi will fit? I read somewhere that MBs with Integrated IO Shields might have some compatibility issues.

It will fit but with difficulty.

Does anyone know if the Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will have any issues fitting in this case? I have checked the size of the card and it should fit, however i read somewhere that card with fans sticking out of the shroud could scrape the side panel, i dont know if the fans do stick out on the Red Dragon but it kind of looks like it. Would be great if anyone had an answer for that one.

The Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will not fit because its height is 132 mm and it does not have recessed power input. Cards without recessed connectors must be no more than 126 mm in height in this case (142 mm - 16 mm).

BenRedic77

Cable Smoosher
Oct 14, 2019
Thanks for the great answers. Damn, the Red Dragon not fitting throws a wrench into my plans, back to the drawing board. Does anyone know any good 5700 XTs that fit the Velka 5?

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I don’t have one of these cases but thanks to Michael for answering all of these questions. Reading through the thread has been interesting.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 30, 2017
October 31 is the estimate as of today.

The Powercolor 5700 XT Red Dragon will not fit because its height is 132 mm and it does not have recessed power input. Cards without recessed connectors must be no more than 126 mm in height in this case (142 mm - 16 mm).

What is the difference between Velka 3 Rev 1.1 and 1.2? I checked the revision history page and there's nothing listed under 1.2.

BenRedic77

Cable Smoosher
Oct 14, 2019
I just checked around and i wonder, does the Asrock rx 5700 XT Challenger fit the Velka 5? The numbers says it should but im not sure if the connectors are properly "ressesed". It kind of looks like they are but im gonna need confirmation on that.

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
Jumping into this thread late (45 pages deep!!!). Loving the case - but if I understand correctly, it requires the use of 10mm tall fans at the top. Not sure if revision suggestions are being tracked here or elsewhere, but I'd really recommend increasing the height of the case to accommodate 15mm tall fans - ideally 92mm so we can use Noctuas. Realize it would increase the size, but the trade off for fan availability and performance in my mind would be well worth it.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
What is the difference between Velka 3 Rev 1.1 and 1.2? I checked the revision history page and there's nothing listed under 1.2.

You can assume them to be the same, so you can follow the specifications listed on the rev 1.1 product page. An experimental mount for some other power supplies is being added and that's about it.

I just checked around and i wonder, does the Asrock rx 5700 XT Challenger fit the Velka 5? The numbers says it should but im not sure if the connectors are properly "ressesed". It kind of looks like they are but im gonna need confirmation on that.

I have not tested that card but I am 99% sure that the ASrock Challenger will fit. The power connectors are only a few mm farther out than the IO shield edge if you check the last photo here, so the PCB is around reference size: https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon RX 5700 XT Challenger D 8G OC/#Specification

Last edited:

BenRedic77

Cable Smoosher
Oct 14, 2019
Yes my thoughts exactly, i scoured through the images and from the looks of it it should fit, i guess i will simply have to buy it and see if it fits, it might be tight but theres no other 5700 XT (or non xt for that matter) that fits except the reference cards but those are awefull so thats not happening.

If anyone has tested this card in a Velka 5 please let me know if it fits.