Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

temp_gandalf

Case Bender
Sep 2, 2019
Hi

Looking to pick up a Velka 3 shipped to the UK.

How essential are the case fans?

Planned build is Silverstone 350W Flex w/ 3600 and RTX 2060, with M2 SSD + possibly 2x additional SSDs. Wondering if can get away without (can go none-NVME M2 to keep temperatures down).

Thanks.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks a lot ^_^ .. Do let me know if USPS has more info on it ... I was hoping that the postman would bring some letter from customs today but nothing yet... I'm becoming worried if they lost the package

Packages almost never get lost. It is certainly delayed, but it might show up randomly one day as others report.

Hey Michael I recieved my Velka 5 today,
I just wanted to thank you for your product.
Keep up the good work.
Customs took 2weeks and was 32,40€ in Frankfurt, in case someone considers ordering the 159$ version from Germany.
Check my Build on Reddit

Thanks for the sharing the customs fees for Germany with us.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi

Planned build is Silverstone 350W Flex w/ 3600 and RTX 2060, with M2 SSD + possibly 2x additional SSDs. Wondering if can get away without (can go none-NVME M2 to keep temperatures down).

Thanks.

Case fans are completely optional, but useful for running CPUs at higher frequencies if you prefer a louder and more powerful system.

Reactions: temp_gandalf

Robddd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 6, 2019
My Velka 3 shipped last week. I have CPU and mobo sorted but I’m torn between the 400w and 600w PSU options and the GPU. I think a 1660ti with the 400w option is a safe bet, but I’m tempted by the MSI 2060 Super Aero... but running that on the 400w PSU seems risky. But then again the 600w option has so many damn unnecessary cables and I’m worried it will cramp the case or affect air flow.

Thoughts?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hi

Thanks.

FYI the bill from the taxman was about 40 quid or thereabouts for Velka 3 and 2x fans, worth keeping that in mind. You'll probably save a little bit of cash if you can find different 80mm fans from local companies like Mouser or something similar (I did get the fans from Velkase to support the maker, but if you're on a budget the few pounds you save from customs might make the difference, you could always buy the fans from Michael later if you deem necessary)

Incidentally I am planning something similar for my Velka 3 build, waiting for a hand-me-down motherboard when my mate upgrade his rig next month :)

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Preview of the Velka 7 concept

These are the specifications that I am working towards:
  • Dimensions (L x W x H including protrusions): 332 x 123 x 226 mm
  • External volume: 8.7 L
  • Motherboard: mini-ITX
  • CPU cooler clearance: 50 mm
  • Graphics card compatibility (L x W x H): 310 x 55 x 142 mm. 142 mm height can be increased by using smaller radiators and fans on top. 2.7 slots width
  • PSU: SFX
  • Liquid cooling support: single 120 mm or single 240 mm, 52 mm thick (includes radiator and fan). Slim fan must be used in the back
  • Storage: at least one 2.5" drive when the above clearances are fully taken up by other parts
  • 1.5 mm anodized aluminum exterior, 1.5 mm powdercoated aluminum and 1.0 mm steel interior
In size, it would be between the base units of the Loque Ghost S1 and Nouvolo Steck, with functionality more similar to those cases with the top hats. CPU air cooling compatibility is traded for better graphics card compatibility with the assumption that any user considering the case would be willing to consider the use of at least a 120 mm AIO for CPU cooling.

The first thing that you will notice is the horizontal orientation. Unless if there is a breakthrough, these will be the reasons for the horizontal orientation:
  • keeping the front panel solid (no radiator holes in front) and the case recognizable as part of the lineup
  • top covers and bottom stands waste too much space and it is impossible for me to make them adequate looking at current production quantities
  • power button would take up radiator space in vertical orientation
  • It is more familiar to the vast majority of people and I cannot seem to find a way to properly explain that only DisplayPort and HDMI would need to be used on top if the case were to have a vertical orientation

These are the improvements such a design would have over the Velka 5:
  • All I/O located in a conventional location
  • Easier to cool R7, R9, core i7, core i9 CPUs with liquid cooling
  • Easier to find compatible AIB cards larger than reference
  • Easier to build in if liquid cooling is not used

Target price shipped to USA: $199.99 or less.

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Preview of the Velka 7 concept

These are the specifications that I am working towards:
  • Dimensions (L x W x H including protrusions): 332 x 123 x 226 mm
  • External volume: 8.7 L
  • Motherboard: mini-ITX
  • CPU cooler clearance: 50 mm
  • Graphics card compatibility (L x W x H): 310 x 55 x 142 mm. 142 mm height can be increased by using smaller radiators and fans on top. 2.7 slots width
  • PSU: SFX
  • Liquid cooling support: single 120 mm or single 240 mm, 52 mm thick (includes radiator and fan). Slim fan must be used in the back
  • Storage: at least one 2.5" drive when the above clearances are fully taken up by other parts
  • 1.5 mm anodized aluminum exterior, 1.5 mm powdercoated aluminum and 1.0 mm steel interior
In size, it would be between the base units of the Loque Ghost S1 and Nouvolo Steck, with functionality more similar to those cases with the top hats. CPU air cooling compatibility is traded for better graphics card compatibility with the assumption that any user considering the case would be willing to consider the use of at least a 120 mm AIO for CPU cooling.

The first thing that you will notice is the horizontal orientation. Unless if there is a breakthrough, these will be the reasons for the horizontal orientation:
  • keeping the front panel solid (no radiator holes in front) and the case recognizable as part of the lineup
  • top covers and bottom stands waste too much space and it is impossible for me to make them adequate looking at current production quantities
  • power button would take up radiator space in vertical orientation
  • It is more familiar to the vast majority of people and I cannot seem to find a way to properly explain that only DisplayPort and HDMI would need to be used on top if the case were to have a vertical orientation

These are the improvements such a design would have over the Velka 5:
  • All I/O located in a conventional location
  • Easier to cool R7, R9, core i7, core i9 CPUs with liquid cooling
  • Easier to find compatible AIB cards larger than reference
  • Easier to build in if liquid cooling is not used

Target price shipped to USA: $199.99 or less.
You got me in, great job!

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
Guys, has anyone tried delidding i9 9900k - applying thermal grizzly conductonaut on the dye, then on IHS - combined with L9i Noctua? If so what are your temps ? Can the L9i hold the 9900k with conductonaut keep the temps under 90C ?

P.S. Just to note, I also have the fsp400-60fggba 400W PSU paired with GTX 1660TI. Would it be able to power these two (considering I would OC the 9900k to 5+ GHz and possibly undervolt it as much as possible?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Guys, has anyone tried delidding i9 9900k - applying thermal grizzly conductonaut on the dye, then on IHS - combined with L9i Noctua? If so what are your temps ? Can the L9i hold the 9900k with conductonaut keep the temps under 90C ?

P.S. Just to note, I also have the fsp400-60fggba 400W PSU paired with GTX 1660TI. Would it be able to power these two (considering I would OC the 9900k to 5+ GHz and possibly undervolt it as much as possible?

I'm not sure 5GHz all core and undervolting are compatible goals. My understanding of the characteristics of the 9900K is that you'll need to feed it a heck of a lot of voltage to get 5GHz stable all core (even with an avx offset). By that point, the CPU will consume in excess of 200-250W and is basically uncoolable in an SFF case.

Just for a point of reference, my 8700K in my big desktop rig at home manages an 5.1GHz all core with a -2 AVX offset at around 1.352v (which is decent for Coffee Lake, not the best but not bottom bin). Fully loaded in an AVX stress test, my CPU pulls 190-198W from the 12V EPS connector and reach 72-77 degrees in a custom loop with twin radiators.

You can really forget about overclocking if you plan on using your 9900k in anything resembling an SFF enclosure and air cooler (delidded or not), you might just about get away with using stock clocks with a healthy undervolt on that CPU

Reactions: Soul_Est

honeybeater92

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2019
I'm not sure 5GHz all core and undervolting are compatible goals. My understanding of the characteristics of the 9900K is that you'll need to feed it a heck of a lot of voltage to get 5GHz stable all core (even with an avx offset). By that point, the CPU will consume in excess of 200-250W and is basically uncoolable in an SFF case.

Just for a point of reference, my 8700K in my big desktop rig at home manages an 5.1GHz all core with a -2 AVX offset at around 1.352v (which is decent for Coffee Lake, not the best but not bottom bin). Fully loaded in an AVX stress test, my CPU pulls 190-198W from the 12V EPS connector and reach 72-77 degrees in a custom loop with twin radiators.

You can really forget about overclocking if you plan on using your 9900k in anything resembling an SFF enclosure and air cooler (delidded or not), you might just about get away with using stock clocks with a healthy undervolt on that CPU

What about for example i5 9600k OC'ed to 5GHz - all core combined with l9i (delidded + conductonaut) and fsp400-60fggba 400W PSU? Would it manage to keep the temps under the control ?

Or i7 9700k ?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I
What about for example i5 9600k OC'ed to 5GHz - all core combined with l9i (delidded + conductonaut) and fsp400-60fggba 400W PSU? Would it manage to keep the temps under the control ?

Or i7 9700k ?

I don't have any experience with either of those CPUs, but my instinct is no. You can basically forget about overclocking AT ALL using the NH-L9. Run at stock with as much undervolt as you can.

In a larger case (something like the Ghost or Steck) , using a 240mm AIO, you probably can push the 9600 and 9700 a little, but not in a small Velka 3 with an L9i.

Manage your expectations, my planned build for my Velka 3 is relatively modest (R5 3600, B450i and RTX2060)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Or i7 9700k ?
Both the 9900k and 9700k have soldered IHS, Silicon Lottery reports only a 3 - 7C improvement with delidding and liquid metal. Personally I would not try and run either of these chips with a L9i.

temp_gandalf

Case Bender
Sep 2, 2019
FYI the bill from the taxman was about 40 quid or thereabouts for Velka 3 and 2x fans, worth keeping that in mind. You'll probably save a little bit of cash if you can find different 80mm fans from local companies like Mouser or something similar (I did get the fans from Velkase to support the maker, but if you're on a budget the few pounds you save from customs might make the difference, you could always buy the fans from Michael later if you deem necessary)

Incidentally I am planning something similar for my Velka 3 build, waiting for a hand-me-down motherboard when my mate upgrade his rig next month

Thank you so much for the heads up! I hadn't even considered that. Assuming similar with a riser instead of case fans, it brings the total cost to ~$200.

Are you doing a two slot GPU build?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Thank you so much for the heads up! I hadn't even considered that. Assuming similar with a riser instead of case fans, it brings the total cost to ~$200.

Are you doing a two slot GPU build?

Sorry I think I was a bit vague before, I got the case + riser + 2x 80mm fans from Michael and the total was something like 195 USD (shipping included). Total tax bill when the case got to me was just shy of 40 pounds (YMMV because the exchange rate for sterling is a bit of a crapshoot at the moment), if you don't get the fans you will save a little bit on the tax bill (probably about 6-8 pounds or so). Hope that helps

Yes I'm going with a dual slot GPU (hopefully a RTX 2060 ITX from Gigabyte)