Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Hello, @VELKASE Michael.

I'm sorry for the off topic question.

Would it be possible for you to share a link of the power button, please?

Thank you for your attention.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Thank you for the fast response!

Unfortunately, they don't ship to my country and I have almost zero experience with "wiring".

Would you be able to sell me one already "ready to use"?

("KNACRO sells a similar option on Amazon - wired - for US$12 but I'd end up paying up to US$30 considering Amazon collect the import fees in the order (even that my country doesn't charge import fees below US$50).

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you for the fast response!

Unfortunately, they don't ship to my country and I have almost zero experience with "wiring".

Would you be able to sell me one already "ready to use"?

("KNACRO sells a similar option on Amazon - wired - for US$12 but I'd end up paying up to US$30 considering Amazon collect the import fees in the order (even that my country doesn't charge import fees below US$50).

Sure, I can sell you one ready to use. Could you please contact me privately and let me know where you are located? I will calculate the price.

Rhythm

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 8, 2019
Created an account to ask if there is some sort of "alert system" setup so we can be notified when the Velka 3 is available This case looks awesome.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Created an account to ask if there is some sort of "alert system" setup so we can be notified when the Velka 3 is available This case looks awesome.

Sorry that you had to go through creating an account, but welcome to SFF Forum.

Thank you. If you fill out this order form without ordering anything and leave a short comment specifying what you are interested in, you will be notified via email. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf7yP3qXLED2kr1Et3Q1dD9G-IjM83X_BPRA19-D-C6eH9W5Q/viewform. Alternatively, you can send a private message by clicking on my username and starting a "conversation" in this forum, then enable email notifications for the conversation.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I like the look of the VELKA 3. I can see the single slot setup working nicely with a WX4100 or P1000.

Edit - Looking a little more at things, I've noticed you can stick a WX5100 in the 3 with the single slot - that's crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Looking a little more at things, I've noticed you can stick a WX5100 in the 3 with the single slot - that's crazy.

The WX5100 is designed to draw about 75 watts of power under full load. It would be better to use a card that draws 45 watts or less because the riser cannot supply the full 75. The WX4100 and P1000 are probably the most powerful workstation graphics cards that could be used in a case like this.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
The WX5100 is designed to draw about 75 watts of power under full load. It would be better to use a card that draws 45 watts or less because the riser cannot supply the full 75. The WX4100 and P1000 are probably the most powerful workstation graphics cards that could be used in a case like this.

Yeah, I've just noticed that on the Liheat facebook, the riser can only draw 40 watts. Would the WX4100 and P1000 still be able to work? The P1000 draws 47 watts and the WX4100 draws 50 watts.

If the GPU had a 6-pin or an 8-pin PCIe connector would this solve the problem?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
You might be able to use a powered riser cable. There are some threads on them on the forum from a while back.

Something like this riser on ModDiy?

I'm also looking at some APU ideas as an alternative with extra nvme drives instead of a dedicated GPU. I'm planning on building something that can run Photoshop and Illustrator with zero lag, I know the CPU, RAM and Storage are more important then the GPU. The rumours have been pointing to the next generation Ryzen APU's being something interesting.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Slots like these should allow for four 2.5" drives to be mounted in place of the two 80mm fans. This may be a good alternative to developing a bracket as it would simplify the design and allow for more storage options when using a single slot card. Anyone who uses extra storage instead of fans can hide the screws by flipping the case over and having a solid brushed panel on top.
@sid21177

Reactions: dealda and sid21177

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I just got caught up on this thread and I'm really excited for the Velka 3, very happy to see it now has rigid side panels. I've been waiting for a case like this since the discontinued Hutzy XS and I'm glad someone is finally making it. I assume the 3.6L is internal volume, otherwise it seems like magic. :D

Just one concern -- the lack of support for 1050/1050 Ti is a serious limitation IMO since they are very popular cards for ultra SFF. I myself was going to use my 1050 Ti KalmX, which is exactly 183mm, but I guess I won't be able to power it. Are 75W-rated risers really that much more expensive/difficult to source?

Last edited:

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Slots like these should allow for four 2.5" drives to be mounted in place of the two 80mm fans. This may be a good alternative to developing a bracket as it would simplify the design and allow for more storage options when using a single slot card. Anyone who uses extra storage instead of fans can hide the screws by flipping the case over and having a solid brushed panel on top.
@sid21177

Nice, are you envisioning the drives hanging vertically with 2 screws, or mounting flat with 4 screws ??
Hate to give up the fan support though - it allows for a nice air current in the case

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I just got caught up on this thread and I'm really excited for the Velka 3, very happy to see it now has rigid side panels. I've been waiting for a case like this since the discontinued Hutzy XS and I'm glad someone is finally making it. I assume the 3.6L is internal volume, otherwise it seems like magic. :D

Just one concern -- the lack of support for 1050/1050 Ti is a serious limitation IMO since they are very popular cards for ultra SFF. I myself was going to use my 1050 Ti KalmX, which is exactly 183mm, but I guess I won't be able to power it. Are 75W-rated risers really that much more expensive/difficult to source?

Volume clarification
3.6 liters is the external volume.
Height: 225 mm
Width: 94 mm
Length: 172 mm-186 mm

The only magic at play here is that at the "compressed" configuration of 3.6 liters, it fits cards that are exactly 170 mm long. You need to pull the two halves apart and increase case volume to 3.7, 3.8, up to 3.9 liters depending on how much extra clearance is needed, up to 184 mm. The side panels are rigid and measure 225 x 185 mm; they extend out the back when the case is "compressed" and match the length of the protruding part of the PCI card. The space that protrusions take up is typically excluded from the volume calculation for other cases.

Riser power limitation
This issue is present in perhaps every case that does not provision cards to be plugged in directly into the motherboard, which is probably most ultra SFF cases. This applies to Custom Mod cases, Dan Cases, etc. A few of my customers have reported being able to use either a GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 TI with these LiHeat risers, but it is still outside of specification.

The only risers that can deliver 75 watts are those powered by Molex or a 6 pin connector. You can purchase these from retailers for cheap, but they are typically un-shielded and are of much lower quality overall. I have not personally tested how GTX 1050's behave with any of these risers yet.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Nice, are you envisioning the drives hanging vertically with 2 screws, or mounting flat with 4 screws ??

Hate to give up the fan support though - it allows for a nice air current over the drives

Drives hanging vertically with two screws each. There is still some time for revision, so maybe we'll find a better way to add more storage support.

The reason why I am hesitant to make a hard drive bracket is because keeping them in stock as an add-on item may be tricky logistically, and including one with every case would tip its weight over a certain threshold. Then, people would have to pay more for shipping.