Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

drsanty

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 3, 2019
Hello @VELKASE Michael ,

I've seen your case at Linus Technik Tips and been in love since the first minute!
The design is minimalistic and clean. The problem is that there is no graphics card available in Europe that has the performance of an RTX2060 Super or RTX2070 Super.
In every video an RTX2070 Super from Gigabyte or Zotac was used.
Unfortunately, the new GPUS are not really mini....

Do you have any idea how to get a graphics card with a length of 20 - 22 cm into it?

Zotac..:

RTX 2060 Super :
209.6mm x 119.3mm x 41mm (8.3in x 4.7in x 1.61in)

RTX 2070 Super :
209.6mm x 126.1mm x 41mm (8.25in x 4.96in x 1.61in)

I've seen the Velka 5, but I don't like the size of it.

What about a case you mentioned before : "Console PC - Case" ... are there any new plans?

Maybe you can help me a little, I would be very happy about an answer.

The KFA2 GeForce® RTX 2060 Super ELITE might be an option that can be found in Europe (175mm)

Reactions: The_ Perfectionist

The_ Perfectionist

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2019
The KFA2 GeForce® RTX 2060 Super ELITE might be an option that can be found in Europe (175mm)

Thank you for your Research but I Cant find Any shop which has this card in Stock at the moment. I think I have to search for another case.. But I don’t want change my Plans this case would be awesome as an Console PC-Case, the Geek A30 is nice but its so BIG in comparison to the Velka 3..

KepKe

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I wonder if FSP will do a 400W version of the FlexGuru. 150mm while having modular cables seems great, just the lack of power (250w, 300w) looks the ITX big boys away. Also, it's modular, yet you have all the cables in your system, because "hey, let's make a modular PSU but with all the cables in a massive cable tree!".

I hope someone is going to make a good Flex PSU that fits this case. I want to see it become a a thing next to the ncase m1.

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
I wonder if FSP will do a 400W version of the FlexGuru. 150mm while having modular cables seems great, just the lack of power (250w, 300w) looks the ITX big boys away. Also, it's modular, yet you have all the cables in your system, because "hey, let's make a modular PSU but with all the cables in a massive cable tree!".

I hope someone is going to make a good Flex PSU that fits this case. I want to see it become a a thing next to the ncase m1.

Fan is bloody loud - even on the 250W model

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Hello @VELKASE Michael ,

I've seen your case at Linus Technik Tips and been in love since the first minute!
The design is minimalistic and clean. The problem is that there is no graphics card available in Europe that has the performance of an RTX2060 Super or RTX2070 Super.
In every video an RTX2070 Super from Gigabyte or Zotac was used.
Unfortunately, the new GPUS are not really mini....

Do you have any idea how to get a graphics card with a length of 20 - 22 cm into it?

Zotac..:

RTX 2060 Super :
209.6mm x 119.3mm x 41mm (8.3in x 4.7in x 1.61in)

RTX 2070 Super :
209.6mm x 126.1mm x 41mm (8.25in x 4.96in x 1.61in)

I've seen the Velka 5, but I don't like the size of it.

What about a case you mentioned before : "Console PC - Case" ... are there any new plans?

Maybe you can help me a little, I would be very happy about an answer.

The Velka 3 only support cards up to 184mm. The only way to get a longer card in there would be to cut a hole in the front panel and let the GPU poke through (this is probably undesirable).

The only cards that have roughly the pixel crunching power you're after is the Gigabyte 2070 Mini ITX and the MSI 2070 Aero ITX (both are out of stock in the UK at the moment but you might have some luck looking on Ebay)

The_ Perfectionist

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2019
The only cards that have roughly the pixel crunching power you're after is the Gigabyte 2070 Mini ITX and the MSI 2070 Aero ITX (both are out of stock in the UK at the moment but you might have some luck looking on Ebay)

I have written an email to MSI and Gigabyte if they have the plan to release an ITX - version of the RTX 2060s and 2070s

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So... I got my Velka 5 case today, and transferred my parts to this case today at work. I've got to say that while this wasn't the most fun case to work in, it wasn't the worst. I put the case together using the manual on the Velcase website.

1. The case did not come with 8 M3 thumbscrews. It came with 22 M3 countersunk screws and 6 6-32 thumbscrews.
2. The case felt flimsy and I felt like I had to backtrack a lot with the screws.
3. If you look in the first picture the left side of the front has a gap/space between the side panel and the front bezel. It seems to be a factory defect where they didn't cut the aluminium straight enough.
4. I noticed some screwholes near the mounting point for the graphics card. Please please add a piece of metal with a screwhole in the middle so I can better mount my graphics card as it is kinda sagging near the faceplate.

Otherwise it was a mostly painless build, I did appreciate the included Velcro cable ties.

Also, some rubber feet would be nice for this case. I stole some from an older case and stuck them on the bottom of the Velka 5.

hextanerf

Chassis Packer
Sep 6, 2019
So... I got my Velka 5 case today, and transferred my parts to this case today at work. I've got to say that while this wasn't the most fun case to work in, it wasn't the worst. I put the case together using the manual on the Velcase website.

1. The case did not come with 8 M3 thumbscrews. It came with 22 M3 countersunk screws and 6 6-32 thumbscrews.
2. The case felt flimsy and I felt like I had to backtrack a lot with the screws.
3. If you look in the first picture the left side of the front has a gap/space between the side panel and the front bezel. It seems to be a factory defect where they didn't cut the aluminium straight enough.
4. I noticed some screwholes near the mounting point for the graphics card. Please please add a piece of metal with a screwhole in the middle so I can better mount my graphics card as it is kinda sagging near the faceplate.

Otherwise it was a mostly painless build, I did appreciate the included Velcro cable ties.

Also, some rubber feet would be nice for this case. I stole some from an older case and stuck them on the bottom of the Velka 5.
How long did you wait for it?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

1. User manual was not updated in time, sorry. The countersunk screws should be used in place of the M3 thumbscrews.

3. I cannot tell what is causing the issue but you might be able to fix this by switching the left and right side panels. Also please check that the two top screws are fully tightened and that the rear screws are not overtightened.

You did not receive rubber feet in the same bag as the Velcro ties?

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
1. User manual was not updated in time, sorry. The countersunk screws should be used in place of the M3 thumbscrews.

3. I cannot tell what is causing the issue but you might be able to fix this by switching the left and right side panels. Also please check that the two top screws are fully tightened and that the rear screws are not overtightened.

You did not receive rubber feet in the same bag as the Velcro ties?

1. Ah ok. Makes sense.
3. I'll try that. I did notice that it did start to bend when I over-tightened the sidepanel screws.

That's what those were? They were so small I thought they were anti vibration pads for the PSU. I'll keep the current rubber feet I've got on now as they are much larger than the ones provided.

Update 2: I re-examined the build process and noticed that I could not use the fourth motherboard standoff because of the beveled hole on the top portion of the front bezel. Removing the forth standoff and replacing it with a countersunk screw solved the problem. My graphics card still sags though.

Update: I tried swapping the sidepanels but it did not change anything.
The first image shows that the front bezel is not covering the black metal portion like it is supposed to.

The second image shows the GPU sag.

On the bright side, I ran Timespy and got a scored 6855 and GPU temps never got over 72 degrees Celsius.

Not bad for these specs:

Asus ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
16 Gigs of Ram
Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 mini

Last edited:

aloidnev

Efficiency Noob
Oct 9, 2019
@VELKASE Michael - do we get any tracking information for our orders? I placed mine on Oct 4 for a Velka 5, but the order is still showing as pending. I already messaged you my order number (emailed you as well).

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
1. Ah ok. Makes sense.
3. I'll try that. I did notice that it did start to bend when I over-tightened the sidepanel screws.

That's what those were? They were so small I thought they were anti vibration pads for the PSU. I'll keep the current rubber feet I've got on now as they are much larger than the ones provided.

Update 2: I re-examined the build process and noticed that I could not use the fourth motherboard standoff because of the beveled hole on the top portion of the front bezel. Removing the forth standoff and replacing it with a countersunk screw solved the problem. My graphics card still sags though.

Update: I tried swapping the sidepanels but it did not change anything.
The first image shows that the front bezel is not covering the black metal portion like it is supposed to.

Are you using the angled bracket that supports the graphics card from underneath?

After you install that bracket, be sure not to over-tighten any screws on the graphics card side panel.

After that, you will notice that the two holes on the top of the front panel are slots. Currently, your case has poor part fit because the the front panel is all the way to the right. After you have both side panels installed, you can adjust the top two screws in the slots for best part fit.

It is a problem with the user manual rather than your unit.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Are you using the angled bracket that supports the graphics card from underneath?

After you install that bracket, be sure not to over-tighten any screws on the graphics card side panel.

After that, you will notice that the two holes on the top of the front panel are slots. Currently, your case has poor part fit because the the front panel is all the way to the right. After you have both side panels installed, you can adjust the top two screws in the slots for best part fit.

It is a problem with the user manual rather than your unit.

I did not receive any angled bracket that supports the graphics card. The only angled bracket I have is used for the 3.5" HDD mount. Also, as I explained in Update 2, removing the 4th motherboard spacer fixed the front bezel problem. Right now, the graphics card is being held by the hole for the backplate to slide through and the riser cable mount.

Last edited: