Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
@Analogue Blacksheep
I have performed some stress tests and gaming tests on a GTX 950 with no 6 pin power connector on a LiHeat riser and have not encountered any strange behavior. Cards like a GTX 1050 will likely work too as others have reported.

Also, another thing I've noticed is that almost all itx gpus vent out their hot air via the front and back, which is why similar cases like the M4X and the ZS-A4M both have vents on the front panel. It would be interesting if you could make versions of the Velka 3 with both vented and unvented front panels, and see what the temperature improvement would be and whether it'd be worth the cosmetic hit.

I won't say no to an additional front panel option if enough people want it. Will try to upload some thermal performance results around launch time to compare temperatures inside the case to open air at a few different fan speeds, which will at least put a limit to the temperature improvement to be expected from adding front vents.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I'm watching this thread closely and planning to buy one velka case for myself. With that in mind, i totally agree with @renecop545's statement about front exausting of GPU chamber. Hope it helps you make your mind, Michael.

Reactions: renecop545

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
@VELKASE Michael

Your bar & bracket system on the VK-5 seems a great idea - can this be engineered into the VK-3 system (v2 perhaps ??) ?
Seems to me all that is needed is the vertical mounting notches on the case sides

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Your bar & bracket system on the VK-5 seems a great idea - can this be engineered into the VK-3 system (v2 perhaps ??) ?
Seems to me all that is needed is the vertical mounting notches on the case sides

Thank you.
This bar and bracket system and actually a lazy solution; it just allows the user to have a lot of flexibility for use as graphics card reinforcement, mount for 2.5" drives, 3.5" drives, fans, radiators, and other things that I may not be able to account for.

There is much less space in the VK-3 and implementing a similar solution would require a 1-2 mm width increase. The version coming out this June will feature a different solution: just some slots and holes for mounting drives on the sides of the front and back panel pieces. This has not been shown up until this point because it has not been tested yet; if it works, the diagrams will be updated.

Reactions: sid21177

sid21177

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 19, 2019
Thank you.
This bar and bracket system and actually a lazy solution; it just allows the user to have a lot of flexibility for use as graphics card reinforcement, mount for 2.5" drives, 3.5" drives, fans, radiators, and other things that I may not be able to account for.

There is much less space in the VK-3 and implementing a similar solution would require a 1-2 mm width increase. The version coming out this June will feature a different solution: just some slots and holes for mounting drives on the sides of the front and back panel pieces. This has not been shown up until this point because it has not been tested yet; if it works, the diagrams will be updated.

Look forward to it. I can also live with a 1-2mm increase in a future iteration if it provides this level of flexibility.
E.g. Workstation class CPU+AIO

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Look forward to it. I can also live with a 1-2mm increase in a future iteration if it provides this level of flexibility.
E.g. Workstation class CPU+AIO

Unfortunately it would not be possible to fit an AIO into the model 3. The width of the graphics card chamber must be reduced to 21 mm by moving the motherboard tray to fit the pump on the other side in the CPU chamber.

Reactions: sid21177

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Velka 3 manufacturing is complete ahead of schedule. Stay tuned for:
  • new photos of this revision
  • final specifications and hardware compatibility
  • cooling benchmarks
  • full pricing information, new shipping date, and possibility of preorders

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Velka 5 can have the same layout as 3 with SFX power supply support instead of Flex ATX and 65 mm CPU cooler clearance instead of 37 mm. Everything else can stay the same. External volume: 5.2 - 5.7 L. How does that sound?

Would this be the same type of design as the MI-6, and Sunmilo S01? If so, I would be very interested. I've been looking for this kind of case, but there aren't many options to chose from other than the two I mentioned, which are hard to get hands on. However, I do like the design of the Velka M and Velka 3, so if they could just be enlarged a bit to accomodate a SFX PSU at the bottom, it would be great. Do you plan to create this kind of layout?

The reason is that I think a FlexATX PSU will be too noisy for me.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Would this be the same type of design as the MI-6, and Sunmilo S01? If so, I would be very interested. I've been looking for this kind of case, but there aren't many options to chose from other than the two I mentioned, which are hard to get hands on. However, I do like the design of the Velka M and Velka 3, so if they could just be enlarged a bit to accomodate a SFX PSU at the bottom, it would be great. Do you plan to create this kind of layout?

The reason is that I think a FlexATX PSU will be too noisy for me.

The layout has been changed to be more similar to the DSE Breathe / Dancase A4-SFX and is now 5.7 L. Compared to the MI-6, VK-5 will be smaller, have less CPU cooler clearance, and support full length graphics cards as opposed to ITX. There are some early renders that show what the case does in the post with the lineup description.

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
The layout has been changed to be more similar to the DSE Breathe / Dancase A4-SFX and is now 5.7 L. Compared to the MI-6, VK-5 will be smaller, have less CPU cooler clearance, and support full length graphics cards as opposed to ITX. There are some early renders that show what the case does in the post with the lineup description.
Seriously the VK5 looks damn amazing (a sucker for tower style cases), curious about VK7.
Question: will you ship to EU?
Thanks and keep the good work!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Seriously the VK5 looks damn amazing (a sucker for tower style cases), curious about VK7.
Question: will you ship to EU?
Thanks and keep the good work!

Thanks.

VK7 will likely be produced at the same time as VK5. More information will be revealed after a VK5 prototype this month because the two cases will be very similar; the idea will probably be to make 7 slightly taller and wider than 5 to add support for a choice between an ATX power supply + extra CPU cooler clearance or triple slot graphics card.

Everything ships worldwide.

Reactions: Weredawg

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks.

VK7 will likely be produced at the same time as VK5. More information will be revealed after a VK5 prototype this month because the two cases will be very similar; the idea will probably be to make 7 slightly taller and wider than 5 to add support for a choice between an ATX power supply + extra CPU cooler clearance or triple slot graphics card.

Everything ships worldwide.
Those are fantastic news, thank you for the responses! personally looking forward both VK5 and 7 =)

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016

I see. Then it's not exactly what I am looking for. I feel the "A4"-design starts to get a bit saturated, while the "MI-6"-design could need more options. I like the PSU at the bottom, since it creates a cleaner design with regards to cables. I also I think short ITX GPU:s are fine, as well. With the right design, one could also fit a custom loop with a dual 92mm or single 120/140mm radiator at the very top. I think there is an opportunity here, that I hope someone jumps on.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I was checking out the VK5 and I can't seem to work out how you got 5.7L.

Can you clarify how you got there?

Material thickness: 1.2-1.5 mm

Height: 301.0 mm
1.5 mm panel + 125 mm PSU + 3 mm 24 pin connector latch + 170 mm motherboard + 1.5 mm panel

Width: 108.8 mm
1.2 mm panel + 42.9 mm card + 63.5 mm PSU + 1.2 mm panel

Length / depth: 174.2 mm
1.5 mm panel + 170 mm motherboard + 1.5 mm riser + 1.2 mm panel

301.0 * 108.8 * 174.2 mm = 5.70 L

Reactions: Curiosity

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

1.5 mm panel + 125 mm PSU + 3 mm 24 pin connector latch + 170 mm motherboard + 1.5 mm panel

I would guess his confusion was the same as mine. On the first page you list VK5 size as 310x110x180 which would give you 6.1l.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I would guess his confusion was the same as mine. On the first page you list VK5 size as 310x110x180 which would give you 6.1l.

Sorry for the confusion. Those are rounded numbers and the vertical measurement includes a top protrusion that is excluded from the volume calculation.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

For your depth measurement of 174.2mm, how are you able to get that?

Are you not using a rear IO plate? The rear IO plate requires a 2.44mm clearance in addition to the motherboard.

Are the panels going to be right next to the motherboard with no clearance? What if there is some slight tolerance issues?

For your height, you forgot to include the setback measurement from the rear panel to motherboard, which is another 1.5mm. 3mm between the psu and the motherboard would be difficult to install and uninstall power connectors but it is possible I guess.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
For your depth measurement of 174.2mm, how are you able to get that?

Are you not using a rear IO plate? The rear IO plate requires a 2.44mm clearance in addition to the motherboard.

Are the panels going to be right next to the motherboard with no clearance? What if there is some slight tolerance issues?

For your height, you forgot to include the setback measurement from the rear panel to motherboard, which is another 1.5mm. 3mm between the psu and the motherboard would be difficult to install and uninstall power connectors but it is possible I guess.

An IO plate can be mounted.

Tolerances are taken into account.