Enclosure Thermaltake Core G3: a 24L ATX case with SFX mount

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Problem solved !

Oh well, atleast it's not totally useless...

Nice!
Despite the bad rep about the pcie extender, I ordered this case. Will first build using my mitx components (what I have at the moment)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Shoud I drill holes / perforate the small section ~30mm above the upper front 120 opening for better breathing?

Nothing beats empirical testing. Build it out and test it to see what the temps do...if you need a little bit better (I can't imagine a quarter slot worth of extra free flowing air is going to result in that much gain) then you can mod it.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Very nice!

But it looks like having the ports at the top may interfere with the gfx card? Not sure.

By the way how long is the included riser cable? I'm wondering would it be worthwhile to just get a 3M one.

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Very nice!

But it looks like having the ports at the top may interfere with the gfx card? Not sure.

By the way how long is the included riser cable? I'm wondering would it be worthwhile to just get a 3M one.

Thanks!

I think using a couple of 90 degree extender fittings could route the tubing behind the graphics card. Will do some fit tests tomorrow.

The included riser is about 8" /200mm. That's measuring just the cable, not including the connectors.

The spare pcie extender I ordered is named EZDIY. It's got semi decent reviews.

Reactions: Phuncz

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Graphics card (old reference stand in) fits with rad and fan

With current mITX components that I have. I am hoping to go up to 8+ cores in the near future for rendering purposes. Will wait for reviews of Threadripper once it's out for decide if I should stay on consumer platform vs enthusiast platform, Intel or AMD. This case allows the flexibility of going to ATX motherboard, while maintaining a relatively small case footprint. I don not plan to SLI. The D5 pump/res will likely go behind the front bottom radiator fan.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You love EK waterblocks, especially motherboard one..:D Have you delidded you kabylake cpu?

Now the most difficult part is arriving : tubing..:D

Where will you place pump and reservoir?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
You love EK waterblocks, especially motherboard one..:D Have you delidded you kabylake cpu?

Now the most difficult part is arriving : tubing..:D

Where will you place pump and reservoir?

EK was easy to start out. The GPU block is very practical choice. I figure acetal is most durable, but now it's facing out, and looking so plain. The monoblock is pure vanity...
I have a 6700k, and yes delidded :p

I'll use soft tubing

The D5 pump / reservoir will be bracket mounted to the bottom 120mm fan mount. The alternative will be to mount the pump to the floor behind the radiator.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Here's an update:
  • Radiator is now in place
  • 3x 120mm x 25mm fans
  • No mods to case (yet)
  • Mounted / Zip tie 2x 120mm x 12mm fans (new Scythe slimPWMs) to top
  • PSU in place
  • USB 2.0 hub in place behind graphics card (this was tricky since my motherboard didn't have USB 2.0)
  • Hue on floor
  • 8 port PWM hub on floor
  • Most watercooling fittings in place. Soft tubing. GPU and CPU are in parallel (for looks)
  • Cable management is tough in this case. No room behind motherboard at all. Actually requires some planning even though this is an ATX case.
  • Waiting on pump/res bracket to arrive.
  • Work in progress photograph: